Straight poop on poop (diahrrea? colitis? normal?) - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Master Member

Re: Straight poop on poop

thank you so much... I'll pass this on. I know how frustrating it can be to treat this problem, especially when no one can offer a suggestion as to the possible cause.

Jetta Vom Alpenhof CDX RE CGC BH TT
Ch Donka's Sharp Dressed Man(Dre)CD RE CGC TC
Donka's Girls Night Out (Nina)CD HT BN CGC TT
Donka's Supersport(Chevelle)RN,CGC {10/19/98 - 5/29/11 RIP princess,we miss you}
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 11:31 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: FORRUGERIs there anyone who can suggest a cause of diarrhea(explosive,watery and foul smelling) that would probably be contagious, responds to tx with flagyl, but reoccurs after the flagyl is finished? My own dogs have had this and recently I've had at least two other people with dogs with the same problem and the vets can't determine the cause (or the cure) I really feel it's something contagious as more than one dog in the same household come down with it at the same time. All have been treated for parasites also... any suggestions??? While I know there's many many causes of diarrhea, this seems to follow the same pattern, treated with the same meds, but continues to come back...
Is there anything in common with the dogs? like food, play places, poop places, treats, rawhides? other?

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dad to:
Angeles von Lobos (pronounced Angelus)
Jack (RIP)
Cotton
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 11:33 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: FORRUGERIs there anyone who can suggest a cause of diarrhea(explosive,watery and foul smelling) that would probably be contagious, responds to tx with flagyl, but reoccurs after the flagyl is finished? My own dogs have had this and recently I've had at least two other people with dogs with the same problem and the vets can't determine the cause (or the cure) I really feel it's something contagious as more than one dog in the same household come down with it at the same time. All have been treated for parasites also... any suggestions??? While I know there's many many causes of diarrhea, this seems to follow the same pattern, treated with the same meds, but continues to come back...
Perhaps you want to start a new thread, just for your dog?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 06:50 PM

My gsd has loose stool since I got him, and it got worse from loose to watery..
I cut back on chicken and veggie and fed him dry food only, but still he went 4 times this morning after breakfast, I am scared... should I take him to the vet??
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 06:57 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Sam, I just checked your previous posts and see that your puppy is about 3 months old? In that case, I would definitely take him to the vet. It could be something very serious like parvo, or something less serious, such as giardia, but in any case puppies dehydrate quickly so he should be looked at so you can get a diagnosis and treatment right away.

-Debbie-

post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 11:20 PM
Crowned Member

Any time you are seriously worried, call your vet!
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 12:03 AM

Thanks for sharing this..

Luke's All Natural Pet Food

post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 06:38 PM

I don't know much about dog poo, i just got my first dog 2 months and a half ago but still, I think my dog's poop has been through every single phase described above, except green poo and the really foul smell and he's fine... He eats normally, and when I gave him raw beef he pooped a little blood out called the doctor he said its fine. Whenever we have a strange stool we dont necessarily have a life threatning disease do we? Unless the puppy has a constant problem with his stool and his behaviour changes there's no need to worry. Once my pup pooped wood.... he was on the balcony one day and i thought he was going to do his thing because i couldnt take him outside, and when i checked on him after 3 minutes he somehow knocked a small tree off the balcony ledge and started munching on it. the next day he pooped some wood but was completely fine. Another time, I went to the bathroom to wash and left him alone in the living room. Bad idea. There was a pillow on the couch, he ripped it up in 15 minutes and ate a bunch of feathers. The next day he pooped them out and had a runny stool for the rest of the day. He was still fine. I'm just saying....You can spot a problem with your dog instinctively, don't need a chart, It will worry you more when he will leave a stool that looks like one written in there.
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 08:34 PM

persistent soft stools/diarrhea for 3 months Our german shepherd puppy is almost 6 months old. She came home with us at 3 months and from her very first day with us she has had loose stools and unfortunatley it continues to persist. Her breeder had her on a BARF diet and we didn't want to continue with that when we got her. Now I'm not sure if her digestive system can only tolerate that type of diet because she has only been fed dry kibble from the very start and I have read this may be the case.
The very first week she was home with us roundworms were confirmed and they were treated. When loose stools continued, Giardia was then confirmed and also treated. Two more stool samples have been done since Giardia was first confirmed and both came back negative. When she first arrived we began feeding her Taste of the Wild, then we slowly switched to Origen but there was no change in her stools, still loose. During the roundworm/Giardia treatments the vet had her one Hill's Prescription ID food and prescription meds. During this time was the first time she had firm stools! We were so happy but we did not want her to continue on the ID food...not the type of food we believed was best for a growing puppy or any dog for that matter. So, once she was cleared of Giardia she restarted on Origen and her loose stools still contiued and it was recommened we switch her to Natural Balance (limited ingridents -lamb and brown rice) because we were told Origen had too much protien (80%) for her and she may have a sensitive stomach that cannot handle it. She was doing okay on this for about a week, her stools were not HARD but firm enough to pick up without leaving too much mess behind. After a week she had her regular loose stools return (moouse/pudding-like). We slowly started adding a new dog food, Acana large breed puppy food that our research suggested to be ideal long-term for her but her loose stools continued. We were then told that she may need digestive enzymes to help her out and to also add a sppon of pumpkin with each meal as well. This worked well for 2 days, she was eating solely 1 cup of Acana dog food with a sprinkle of digestive enzyme powder and spoon of pumpkin puree..but then loose stools again! We have no idea what to do! She is full of energy, sleeps and eats very well, she is about 50 lbs now, not losing weight.
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu_gu View Post
persistent soft stools/diarrhea for 3 months Our german shepherd puppy is almost 6 months old. She came home with us at 3 months and from her very first day with us she has had loose stools and unfortunatley it continues to persist.
So I'm going to be the one to ask a silly question...how does exercise fit in to all this? I only ask because as a first-time owner of a GSD puppy it took us FOREVER to realize that a big part of our (very similar) problem was that our boy always had runny poops following any amount of exercise. And as a young puppy, he got his exercise in frequent short spurts, whenever we could...so we saw a lot of runny poops.

Our guy also turned out to have a bit of a sensitivity to chicken (things improved for us once we switched to a food without that as a primary ingredient). We also noticed after trying a couple high-protein grain free foods that the higher the protein, the less firm his stools. But that's just us.

He's 12 months old now and other than the occasional runny poo after a heavier "workout", things have settled down. But from about 3-9 months we went through lots of ups and downs. For what it's worth, none of it ever turned out to be a real health issue. Not to say diarrhea shouldn't be taken seriously, but sometimes I think we read too much into the occasional odd poo. And by "we", I mean me too - I just have to remind myself...they're not tea leaves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page