Throwing up and stomach gurgling a lot - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2008, 04:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Re: Throwing up and stomach gurgling a lot

That is really scary to hear about Kelly, Echo, and JR. That's awful that you had to go through that with three different dogs. How old were they when they at the time?

Heidi is doing quite a bit better now. I let her outside and she was trotting around the perimeter doing her usual squirrel check. I only let her out for a little while though and now she's back inside resting. The gurgling has finally subsided and she doesn't seem like she's in any discomfort.

The vet said not to feed her until tomorrow morning. We didn't feed her this morning, so she's going to be really hungry by then!

By the way, Gayle, did your dogs have a normal appetite when they went through this? How about their bowel movements?

Heidi, 8-year-old GSD
Adopted on 10/14/07 from: German Shepherd Rescue of Northern California

Sheba, GSD/Malamute
Karin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2008, 04:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: KarinThat is really scary to hear about Kelly, Echo, and JR. That's awful that you had to go through that with three different dogs. How old were they when they at the time?
By the way, Gayle, did your dogs have a normal appetite when they went through this? How about their bowel movements?
First I'm glad that Heidi is feeling better. Please keep us updated on how she's doing!!!

If I recall correctly, Echo was about 9 years 6 months old. JR was around 9 years 10 months old. Kelly was 9 years 10 months old. That's strange, they were all around the same age. I never thought about that before.

After they had the bloat and surgery, they all resumed normal eating habits (JR was a picky eater for his first 12 years until I started feeding a raw diet then he became a BIG PIG who never got enough to eat).

Kelly was diagnosed with SIBO about 4 months after his bloat surgery (I can't recall when he started having the hemorrhagic diarrhea, but it took a while to diagnose the problem). A lady who does a lot with GSD health issues feels the SIBO probably caused him to bloat. The other two guys didn't have a problem with their bowel movements after the surgery!
Old 04-08-2008, 05:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

wow gayle and i thought i had health issues with poor bearla my goodness girl, you are a super momma. i dont know how you have survived it. lol
Old 04-08-2008, 08:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: bearlasmomwow gayle and i thought i had health issues with poor bearla my goodness girl, you are a super momma. i dont know how you have survived it. lol
I've always said the Hooligans have an angel on their shoulder. I just feel terrible having had so many Hooligans bloat, I'd love to know what I've been doing wrong.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

i dont think you are doing anything wrong gayle. im beginning to think that they will get it no matter what we do. all we can do is hope and pray that it doesnt happen. i dont think it matters what we are doing anymore or how we are doing it. maybe you had all these precious angels in your life. maybe you were chosen to give them the love and compassion that they needed. its not easy taking care of a dog with health issues of any type but your hooligans needed a special momma and it looks like they found it in you
Old 04-09-2008, 12:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well, Heidi still isn't feeling very good. The vet told us we could feed her this morning and I gave her 1 cup of dry food, which she didn't finish. She's still very listless and lethargic, but seems better than yesterday morning. Her stomach is gurgling a little bit.

What concerns me is that she doesn't seem to want to drink any water. I keep offering it to her and she turns her head. She's only had a couple of laps yesterday and maybe one lap today so far.

Heidi, 8-year-old GSD

Sheba, GSD/Malamute
Old 04-09-2008, 01:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Have you given her gas-x? Have you tried mixing water and chicken broth? Did the vet advise to continue with kibble? When my dogs have upset tummies I switch them over to homemade food (brown rice, sweet potatoes and chicken). Adding a little nonfat yoghurt can help coat her tummy.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2008, 01:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Time to go back to the vet or go to a new vet. If she's not drinking she will not want to eat. To me not eating (or drinking-even more so) is an emergency. When was her temperature last taken? Okay-see that! How about x-rays? Good luck-poor Heidi. It's so hard!
Old 04-09-2008, 02:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm going to go out and get some broth, brown rice, and chicken. I'm not sure about the sweet potatoes and yogurt, but it's worth a try! Thanks for the advice!

The vet said that she could eat dry kibble again this morning and I gave her a cup, but she only ate about half of it.

Heidi, 8-year-old GSD

Sheba, GSD/Malamute
Old 04-09-2008, 02:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Thanks for the reply, Jean. I just got her to drink a little water by being sneaky about it. I finished my oatmeal and gave her the little bit of milk on the bottom, and then kept adding water to it and she lapped up quite a bit of it!

I should hear back from the vet today about her blood tests and hopefully, I'll learn more. In the meantime, I think I'll take Ruth's advice and try to entice her with better-tasting food.

Heidi, 8-year-old GSD

Sheba, GSD/Malamute
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.