Let's talk about the Benfits of Probioitics - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Let's talk about the Benfits of Probioitics

I want to have a discussion about Probioitics, what are the benefits, what are the costs, when would be a good time to try Probioitics.

Wisc.Tiger - Admin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Re: Let's talk about the Benfits of Probioitics

OK, here are my thoughts.

There is good tummy bacteria and there is bad. The use of Probioitics will increase the good and with a better good level it will decrease the bad level. So what benefit can that be, I will give you some things that I have seen.

Lakota, always had a funky coat, it was like two dogs in one, his front half was nice - his back half was dry brittle no luster. With Probioitics his entire coat is glossy. It might have been the season, but he didn't have as much trouble with his seasonal allergies.

Raya, my picky picky eater. I have just started her on Probioitics and have seen an increase of her appitite, while not great I expect to continue to see it get better.

When giving Probioitics I don't believe you will see huge instant results, but it is more cummulative type thing. You need to give the Probioitics every day if you are giving it.

Cost to be is relativley inexpensive. $13.50 per dog per month.

Val

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Here are some links to previous threads:

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubb...true#Post518978

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubb...true#Post518143

post #4 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 01:38 PM
Crowned Member

Which probiotics are you using?

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #5 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 01:58 PM
Crowned Member

A question---are the probiotics found in ordinary plain yogurt beneficial? Are there enough of them to make a difference? Are the other probiotics better?

I've fed both my dogs a small amount of plain yogurt every day since they were babies. So I don't have any "before" to compare to, but both have always been very healthy. So is the yogurt helping, or is it just a treat they enjoy?

Tracy
St. Louis, MO

Luca says, "Arf!"
post #6 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I use a capsule Probioitic that is a human supplement. It contains Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium lactis and FOS Prebioitics, from a company called Melaleuca.

My thoughts are that all dogs could benefit from Probioitics, some may need more than others.

I can't find the exact numbers right now, but if I remember correctly, to get the equivalent of what I use you would have to eat 12 cups of yogurt. Now I know I couldn't eat 12 cups of yogurt a day and some dogs don't tolerate lactos.

Have you guys noticed the new products on TV, the Activa and I can't remember the other one with the good bacteria. The science behind this isn't really new, I have been using what I give the dogs now for about 5 years.

I think if your dogs digestive tract isn't in balance it won't make any difference what you feed your dog will only do so good.

Right now I am only giving to 2 of my 4 dogs, but my plan is to get them all on it.

Val

post #7 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 06:24 PM
Crowned Member

It's a Bowl-O'-Bugz. Or, at least, that's what I keep telling Grimm, wanting him to finish the packet of SymbioLact probiotics dumped onto his food. He loves anything disgusting, so this is an incentive. He had the runs a while ago due to bacterial overgrowth from a huge transition-- a transatlantic move to a new continent-- and after antibiotics, we are doing probiotics for 2 weeks. When it's finished, i'll try a teaspoon-sized blob of yogurt on his food... the probiotics come from the people pharmacy and are WILDLY expensive.

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
post #8 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 07:31 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Luca_stlA question---are the probiotics found in ordinary plain yogurt beneficial? Are there enough of them to make a difference? Are the other probiotics better?

I've fed both my dogs a small amount of plain yogurt every day since they were babies. So I don't have any "before" to compare to, but both have always been very healthy. So is the yogurt helping, or is it just a treat they enjoy?
Tracy,

I just read an article on yoghurt and probiotics. The article said the yoghurt must say "Live and Active Cultures" to have beneficial properties. Now whether a "small amount" is beneficial is another story altogether...

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #9 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 07:53 PM
Crowned Member

The yogurt I feed does say "live active cultures." I give Luca about 3 tablespoonsfull a day.

Tracy
St. Louis, MO

Luca says, "Arf!"
post #10 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 08:03 PM
Crowned Member

I think that Probiotics are one of those things that my dog will benefit of me being the daughter of a Pediatrician. I can get them for free.

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page