Let's talk about the Benfits of Probioitics - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Knighted Member

Re: Let's talk about the Benfits of Probioitics

I see that whole plain yogurt is recommended here and by my breeder. I shop mainly at Walmart and they don't carry whole fat plain yogurt or other products that says live cultures.

Please bear with my stupid questions. This old dog is learning new tricks. lol.

Jazz von Jagenstadt aka Tosca
J litter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 11:18 AM
Crowned Member

The kind I buy says Low Fat Plain. Danon. The fat content is irrelevant. You're buying it for the probiotics, so get the low fat and save the calories. (IMO)

I'm pretty sure if it's labeled "yogurt," it has live cultures in it. Look in the small type-- it's there.

Tracy
St. Louis, MO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Luca says, "Arf!"
post #33 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Knighted Member

Thanks. The low fat part was what turned me away. lol. I will look again.

Please bear with my stupid questions. This old dog is learning new tricks. lol.

Jazz von Jagenstadt aka Tosca
J litter

post #34 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 01:58 PM
Crowned Member

If I recall, Walmart doesn't have good yogurt, but I could be wrong. By good, I mean no high fructose sugar, no aspartame, etc. I've looked there when I was out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 01:29 AM
Crowned Member

Probioitics and the cheetah....

http://upetd.up.ac.za/thesis/availab...01chapter1.pdf

probiotics and the cheetah -- just a wierd article that I tripped over -- I guess gastritis is a huge problem for cheetahs in captivity. Who knew?

post #36 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 06:04 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: G-burgWhich foods have FOS in them?
I was looking through the prescription food books at work the other day -- Royal Canin Control Formula and Royal Canin Mobility Support both have FOS in them. They are prescription diets.

The Royal Canin GSD 24 has, according to the ingredients list on the bag: "dried brewers yeast extract (source of mannan-oligosaccharides)"

I don't know the difference of all the -oligosaccharides.

Jen, proudly owned by Gracie (1/18/06), CGC, TD, TT, PT
post #37 of 94 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 02:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to spartshep

Fastrack is in my opinion the best probiotic on the market. If you use yogurt, perhaps it is best to use goat's milk yogurt since many dogs are sensitive to lactose in cow's milk.

Constance Krebs, RN, Univ of Mich
Spartanville Shepherds

Home of V Puck vom Gräfental
V Ajax vom Brandsteig
post #38 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 10:07 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Wisc.TigerI use a capsule Probioitic that is a human supplement. It contains Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium lactis and FOS Prebioitics, from a company called Melaleuca.

I can't find the exact numbers right now, but if I remember correctly, to get the equivalent of what I use you would have to eat 12 cups of yogurt. Now I know I couldn't eat 12 cups of yogurt a day and some dogs don't tolerate lactos.

Val
I started my 4 GSD's on a suppliment from GNC. The surgeon that performed one of my GSD's bloat surgery 2 weeks ago recommended putting him on it. When I told her I was giving him yogurt, she laughed and asked me if I had any idea how much yogurt he would have to eat per day to be of benefit. I said I had no clue, she never answered either, just said go to the health store and get Acidophilus.

In reading on the net about Acidophilus, one site indicated that it helps reduce gas, bloating and the runs on top of alot of other beneficial things! I also started them on papaya tablets.

GSGSR & GSR-SP
Trainer @ Obedient K9 Dog Training /Professional Member of I.A.C.P.
Proudly owned by Reno CGC, Lance CGC, Carlie CGC & Sniper CGC (GSD's)& Rylee CGC Yorkie(all rescues)
RIP my beautiful Cheyenne (GSD)
Dogster Id: 638901

post #39 of 94 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 11:01 PM
Master Member

I have a question-Is it possible to over do probiotics? I get the kind that comes in a powder instead of pill form at the store. I usually just tap a little out over their food but there have been a few times I've tapped a little too enthusiastically and I worried they might be getting too much.

Brenna: GSD Born 7/16/06
Mollie: Beagle
Fezzik: GSD/Husky/Golden?
Chewy: Shih tzu/Yorkie
Crunchy: Pug/Schnauzer?
Monty: GSD born 5/24/14
post #40 of 94 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 03:57 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: LisaT
Quote:
Originally Posted By: TulaLisa, Prozyme has Lactose in it... although it's not on the label but I did verify it with the company many moons ago. I believe this is why many dogs don't tolerate it......
I hate items that aren't on the label!!!
I am sort of thinking out loud here, but I am allergic to dairy myself (so I am VERY familiar with things like this not being on the label... even on Human food!!!)

Probiotics are all sourced from dairy. I have not found a brand of probiotics that I can tolerate, although I am VERY sensitive to dairy. I have stomach problems and it was recommended that I try probiotics myself, but i coudln't digest them (the "dairy free" kinds have traces because it originates from dairy). I suppose its the lactose and not necessarily dairy proteins, but I am suprised that dogs can tolerate probiotics and yogurt even though most dogs are considered lactose intolerant. Anyone want to help me with my confusion here?

I actually do feed my pup about a tablespoon or two of yogurt everyday (breeder recommended)

-Sarah owned by my long coat clan:
my first love Gretchen vom Alpenhof (aka Riley)- born 3 Feb 2008
my first boy Garth Vader vom Haus Kohl (aka Vader)- born 2 Nov 2010

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page