Let's talk about the Benfits of Probioitics - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 12:17 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Let's talk about the Benfits of Probioitics

Quote:
Originally Posted By: JenM66Gracie has SIBO and eats a food with FOS in it. If I try to add additional probiotics (be it yogurt or prozyme) her poos get terrible. I guess the food has just the right amount for HER system - each dog is different.
Try probiotics capsule. A lot of dogs can't handle yogurt (mine can't). And prozyme is a digestive enzyme formula, not probiotics (often confused). Prozyme gives both of my dogs the runs, although both of them require and get enzymes in other forms -- I'm not a fan of prozyme because a lot of dogs can't tolerate it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 01:19 PM
Crowned Member

Thanks for the clarification, Lisa. I didn't realize that. It really messed her up when we started adding it last year.

I believe Eukanuba is the only company that uses FOS. It is in their veterinary food Low Residue and the commerically available GSD formula and sensitive stomach formula (the SS food is very close to the Low Residue - so close I have considered trying to switch).

Jen, proudly owned by Gracie (1/18/06), CGC, TD, TT, PT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 10:04 PM
Crowned Member

Prozyme has great marketing, but I think it has sugars in it, and that's what the dogs can't handle. I know it really messed up my dogs too. the yogurt gives them really loose stools too. These sensitive dogs of ours....

If you ever change foods, you can add a probiotic that contains FOS -- that way your choices won't be so limited?

post #24 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 11:19 PM
Crowned Member

Lisa, Prozyme has Lactose in it... although it's not on the label but I did verify it with the company many moons ago. I believe this is why many dogs don't tolerate it.

Personally... I think we could ALL benefit from probiotics (humans and canines). I think we all know how key digestive health is to overall health. Think of all the digestive discussions we've had.. leaky gut syndrome, SIBO, etc. And when all of our dogs are going through these things, they are not feeling well and it shows. I think adding a good probiotic is critical to overall health... moreso when you have a dog (or human!) going through health issues.

I have read several research articles about E. faecium. I think that's the only one right now that I would not use on dogs.

post #25 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 11:23 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: TulaLisa, Prozyme has Lactose in it... although it's not on the label but I did verify it with the company many moons ago. I believe this is why many dogs don't tolerate it......
I hate items that aren't on the label!!!

I agree with you Tula, I think we can all benefit from probiotics.

Forgot to add earlier, I also think it's wise to start slow with them. If there is a high load of bad bacteria, you can cause some stomach cramping, etc. by starting too fast with the good bacteria.

post #26 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 12:55 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to EastGSD

I do know that since I began using either foods with probiotics or supplements that my dogs have great stools, mouths and overall health. My dogs do not get dentals nor do I brush their teeth.....none of them have tarter. I have seen amazing effects on the mouth (teeth and gums) with probiotic supplementation.

Cherri

owned by:

GSDs
Emma and her GerMercian kid
Tobe

And Doxies' Abby and Charlie my Service dude
and Stan and Castor the parrots
post #27 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 01:30 PM
Crowned Member

What specific probiotics do you all use? I have an older dog (12) that picked up a bug at the kennel and we have had a hard time maintaining his weight, loose stools, grumbling tummy, etc.

He has been better this week. We also feed tripe, he does better on that.

No issues prior to the kennel visit (he had been there before as well). Needless to say, he and the others do not staty there nor do we recommend people there :-(

post #28 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Sue, like I posted I get mine through Melaleuca because I am a member and buy all my cleaning products, personal care products and Vitamins through them because I like using products that don't contain harmful chemicals.

There are some nice products that you can get either in a health food store or many grocery stores have a section that have them in the refrigerated section.

It takes a while to see results, it isn't like give it one day and the next day you see results. But I have had really good success with two of my dogs. Right now Raya is in season, in the past she would just not eat, now at least she is eating a least half to the full regular amount of food daily. She picked up some bug at the Vet when she got her Rabies shot and I have been struggling for months to get her back to eating well. She would lay there and you could hear her tummy rumbling 6 - 8 ft away.

As stated earlier it isn't like digestive enzymes, it is just good bacteria to get the good bacteria out weighing the bad bacteria.

Val

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #29 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 03:23 PM

Here's a link to some good info about probiotics. It's not super recent, but I guess that shows some good history and reliability for probiotics. The article talks about what to look for when shopping for a probiotic, how to store them, packaging, yogurt, etc. It was a good overall summary article for me when I started researching.

http://www.chiroweb.com/archives/09/18/21.html
post #30 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 11:01 PM

I give my 9 month old GSD and my 8 year old cocker spaniel Aunt Jeni's pro-bi. I swear by them, and so does my holistic vet. Here's the website........
and I also feed her diet, it's super!

http://www.auntjeni.com/enhance.htm#Digestive%20Aid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page