Let's talk about the Benfits of Probioitics - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 09:19 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Let's talk about the Benfits of Probioitics

I think that for therapeutic purposes, the cultures in yogurt aren't strong enough. For maintenance, it probably is, if the dog/person can tolerate yogurt. Sure wish that things like Activa and other yogurts didn't contain things like high fructose corn syrup, aspartame, etc. Finding a good yogurt can be challenging.

I always buy the probiotics from the refrigerated section of the health food store, and almost always get the ones that contain acidophilous, bifidus, and bulgaricus. Sometimes I get the regular ones, and I rotate between the enteric coated ones that are supposed to be more effective in the small intestines.

Here's a thread that jecg sent me quite awhile ago:

http://www.leerburg.com/forums/ubbthread.../gonew/1#UNREAD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 10:47 PM
Crowned Member

Plain yogurt does not contain any kind of sweeteners. It's the flavored ones that are sweetened.

Tracy
St. Louis, MO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Luca says, "Arf!"
post #13 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Knighted Member

I found this, http://www.monicasegal.com/newsletters/2005-05NL.php

"Myth of The Month

All Probiotics Are Good.

This isn’t always the case. Remember that not only is this a fairly recent area of study but that so many of us look at studies based on the human population and assume the result would apply to dogs. In fact, it can be risky to interpret things that way. Just as we know that dogs are a different species with their own unique requirements, we need to consider that their reactions may be quite different from their human owners.

Case in point is the probiotic E. faecium. Some studies show that it actually increased the levels of salmonella and campylobacter in healthy dogs – not a good thing. Read labels and consider that your dog is a dog, not a person, before adding what should be good stuff in to the food bowl.

Our health section lists a study that covers this topic: PubMed Abstract PMID: 12903867. along with other relevant canine studies. This abstract is also posted in the files seciton of the K9Kitchen discussion group.

The study's full title, by the way, is The effect of a probiotic Enterococcus faecium product in diets of healthy dogs on bacteriological counts of Salmonella spp., Campylobacter spp. and Clostridium spp. in faeces"

I know that Acidophilus has been studied and proven good for dogs,

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez...Pubmed_RVDocSum

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/K.../message/14595

Probiotics - As little as is known about how these things work in humans, there is even less info about probiotics and animals. Some studies have been done but most of those were in farm animals such as cows. A very different animal from a dog - obviously.

As for which strain might be best, again, nobody knows but acidophillus seems to give great results. Many people believe that one of the benefits of using a single strain is that there is no competition this way. When we use a product that contains a variety of strains, there is a chance that they compete and either cancel each other out or reduce benefit.

With or without FOS - Fructooligosaccharides can provide "food" for a bacteria such as acidophilus and others. It's a simple carbohydrate. Some dogs can handle it while others can't. Some ( most? ) of the FOS in probiotics is dervied from cane sugar. This is not usually a problem but some dogs ( Zoey is one of them ) react poorly. FOS is said to be digested in the colon and may alter the bacteria
due to this. So to be on the safe side, I prefer to use a probiotic without FOS for dogs suffering with digestive problems. Many dogs, however, have no issues with FOS and the only way to know is to try it.

Remember that your dog already has beneficial bacteria in the system. You are not attempting to plant a brand new crop of something that doesn't exist. Probiotics may be helpful in perking up the system but your dog is not walking around without any beneficial bacteria so boosting one strain at a time is not unreasonable.

And, http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/K.../message/61564

"Hi Sandy

You wrote:
do dog probiotics use dog-specific strains of bacteria, or are they using human strains and assuming they work in dogs?

*** Many strains are under investigation. The one that has been studied best, and seems to work best without escalating numbers of unfriendly organisms is acidophilus.

Monica Segal - AHCW"

Soooooo, perhaps we should look for fewer strains or just acidophilus. . .

I am a big believer in probiotics after antibiotics, but have never used them daily for general wellness.

Natalie

enjoying life with Penny 6/04 & Blaze 11/12
while Sasha watches over us

post #14 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 12:50 PM
Crowned Member

I know that some look for FOS in the food (helps the growth of bacteria), but I think it had a negative effect on Max -- helped the bad stuff grow. Inulin and FOS do similar things, though they aren't probiotics, they can foster bacteria to grow, good and/or possibly bad.

As for what Monica Segal wrote, I believe that's true about that strain, but that doesn't mean that every strain other than acidophilous is bad. I find that she is extremely cautious about supplements -- often too cautious, though I understand why.

post #15 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 01:03 PM
Elite Member

Tessa needs food with FOS because she has SIBO and this helps to beneficially alter the bacteria in her colon. I have had her on several types of food and the only thing that controlls her diarrhea is to have a food with FOS and the use of tylan powder.

As you said - it will depend on the dog.

Holly~
Tessa vom Sonnenaufgang
post #16 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 01:20 PM
Knighted Member

Molly has SIBO and has been on Tylan now for about a year. I've tried weaning her off the Tylan, but the mushy poops always come back. She does well on the Tylan, but I do hope to one day have her off of it. My question is that I also give her a powdered form of probiotic and I give it to her with both her feedings every day. She gets a 1/4 teaspoon of Tylan and a 1/2 teason of probiotic mixed in with her food twice a day. Should I be giving them both to her at the same time like that or try and space it out? Any thoughts?

Nicky~ Mom to Molly, CD, RN, NA, NAJ, CGC, TC, TDI~ 6 year old GSD
post #17 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 01:30 PM
Crowned Member

You should space them out. Probably probiotics once before bedtime would be more effective than twice a day with the Tylan.

Holly, I think you were the reason that I tried the FOS. I was on the fence for a long time, but I was encouraged by your results. Sure with it would have worked for Max!!

Tracy, forgot about the plain yogurt -- good point!

post #18 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 07:15 AM
Crowned Member

Gracie has SIBO and eats a food with FOS in it. If I try to add additional probiotics (be it yogurt or prozyme) her poos get terrible. I guess the food has just the right amount for HER system - each dog is different.

Jen, proudly owned by Gracie (1/18/06), CGC, TD, TT, PT
post #19 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 07:53 AM
Crowned Member

Which foods have FOS in them?

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH ~ starting to grow up..
post #20 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 08:36 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: G-burgWhich foods have FOS in them?
The only foods that I'm aware of that have FOS in them are Eukanuba Low Residue (prescription food) and the Eukanuba GSD food. If anyone knows of any other, let me know.

Nicky~ Mom to Molly, CD, RN, NA, NAJ, CGC, TC, TDI~ 6 year old GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page