Let's talk about the Benfits of Probioitics - Page 10 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 05:17 PM

Progress!

I have had Bear for two days on a diet of:

Cooked minced chicken
Brown rice
Live culture natural yoghurt

Recipe is two chicken breasts with skin, two cups of rice, and a pint of yoghurt.

Cook the chicken and mince small, cook rice till just about done and add the chicken and cooking juice to the rice to finish cooking that and to get the maximum flavour from bland ingredients.

Chill and leave for the rice to absorb any liquid left over. It makes about a half-gallon of mix because of the rice. I was aiming for four days of food.

Serve chicken and rice mix by small portions of about a cup warmed a bit in the microwave, with the yoghurt added (two or three tablespoons) just before I give it to Bear.

Effects: Toilet trips have been dropping steadily, (only two last night instead of ten on Friday) and the end product has been getting more and more solid till this morning when there was (ew) nice firm consistency.

I'm going to continue to feed this way till the batch is gone and evaluate.

He has plenty of energy (when he is not out cold sleeping) but is too skinny at the moment for my taste. I will go for a higher calorie diet and bigger portions slowly.

Ignorance is Fixable

Contrary to popular thought, life does not hinge around big decisions at crisis points, but small everyday decisions that lead almost inexorably to crisis. Virtue lies in not being lazy when choosing, even in a small way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaT View Post
That's a product to help with indigestion. The amylase helps digest carbs, papain has some natural digestive enzymes, and the others support digestion, but I'd have to look them up for specifics. It's not a probiotic, unless those othe items are somehow prebiotics, that help other good bacteria in the system grow. But overall, that's not a probiotic product.
Thanks LisaT for your informative explanation. I will try another one.
post #93 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 11:38 AM

How about the product (for human) that claims: "...is the yoghurt product fermented from billions of Lactobacillus Casei, working well in digestive system"? Is it considered as probiotic product suitable for dog? Moreover, what kind of bacteria should I looking for when shopping for probiotic product? Thanks.

post #94 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaT View Post
It comes in all three forms. The yogurt will have the least amount, and some dogs are sensitive to dairy.

I've always found probiotics to be more effective given away from food, so I opt for the capsules. LOL, I dip them in yogurt so they'll take them, like any pill I give
gsd_newbie "How about the product (for human) that claims: "...is the yoghurt product fermented from billions of Lactobacillus Casei, working well in digestive system"? Is it considered as probiotic product suitable for dog? Moreover, what kind of bacteria should I looking for when shopping for probiotic product? Thanks."

I had a good talk with my vet, and in absence of an additive with those three things as above, a live culture yoghurt is good. The bacteria do a good job of breaking down the proteins and lactose sugars in the milk product which will help in the digestion of them too.

Ignorance is Fixable

Contrary to popular thought, life does not hinge around big decisions at crisis points, but small everyday decisions that lead almost inexorably to crisis. Virtue lies in not being lazy when choosing, even in a small way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page