BLOAT true medical emergency: a must read for GSD owners - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 295 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 07:30 PM
Master Member

Re: Help needed with bloat

I believe that this is one topic that we will never truly have the answers to...I, myself, have just let it be...I do all I can to help prevent it from happening, based on what studies have said MAY contribute to bloat..

I just try to use my best judgement, these days...rest before and after meals...no abrupt changes in food, etc...why so many GSD's bloat, is still a big question, I have?...I have had GSD's all throughout my life, and I am lucky that none have them got Bloat...but, either one of my GSD's could Bloat tonite, despite all of my cautious measures!...

We all do the best that we can, to prevent such a horrible thing, from happening...unfortunately, there is no way of knowing this could happen, at any time!...At least, we are here for each other, in case one of us, is in trouble!...this is what I love most, about this wonderful site!..one big family...all of us here, for each other!!!...God Bless, and Happy New Year, to all [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/01_smile.gif[/img]....

My GSD's...
King...Sable
Maxim...Black & Silver

Remember yesterday..Live for today, and Hope for tomorrow...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 295 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Banned

[ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind the Purdue study only identified what they *think* increased incidences of bloat based on surveys....

[/ QUOTE ]

......and, that GSDS were not included in the study! Amazing, huh?
post #33 of 295 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 09:39 AM
Master Member

When I acquired my first German Shepard, my vet at the time told me that free feeding helps prevent bloat. I've free-feeded ever since (....15 dogs.....)and have never had a problem. I don't know if it's the free feeding or if I've been very lucky. You may want to ask your vet about it, but I don't know that I would try to start an older dog on free feeding. My understanding is that free feeding works because they nibble and graze all day instead of putting a lot of food in their stomach at once--which is sort of what you're doing with the hand feeding.

I don't know that this helps your situation now, but maybe in the future......

post #34 of 295 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks dogrunner, but Thunder is the type of dog that if he sees food, he'll gobble down. And i have another dog that's diabetic (on another type of food). If i leave food around i'm afraid he'll try to eat it, which is not good for his blood sugar. But thanks for the suggestion.

Danica v Johnson-Haus; DOB 8/06/10
Thunder v Whispering Pines; R.I.P my boy (GSD)-4/93 - 6/07
Bear (Rottweiler) 4/93 - 6/07
Ruskie; (terrier mix) 8/88 - 5/01
Kiska; (Siberian Husky) 5/92 - 12/92
post #35 of 295 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 12:28 AM
Banned

I couldnt free feed either- Missie T would eat a 20 pound bag of food, if she could, every day....If I dont watch her, and Joss doesnt eat immediately, she will also scarf his food right down.
post #36 of 295 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 04:10 AM
Crowned Member

I've got the same problems several of you have expressed. The six Hooligans eat four different brands of food. Even if they all ate the same brand, I'd still have a problem since they would have the GREAT AMERICAN PIG OUT and I'd have a lot of dogs with belly aches.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #37 of 295 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 09:20 AM
Master Member

That's why I'd hesitate to start an adult dog on free-feeding. When you do it at 8-12 weeks, they only pig out for a day or even less. They quickly figure out that the food is there all the time (like their water) so they only nibble when they're hungry. I know a lot of people use food as a training reinforcement, but I have 4 dogs and because I free feed, food isn't important, and they all eat out of the same bowl with no dominance issues. A bonus (for future reference) is that no one gets fat. Really. I've done this for almost 30 years and have never had a fat dog [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/01_smile.gif[/img]

That's not to say it can't be done with an adult dog. I have a friend who took in a rescue and she switched him over to free feeding by putting out 1/8th cup of food every half hour, then over a week, gradually increased each serving. When not all of it was eaten in an 1/2 hour, she increased the time too, to an hour. Duncan free feeds successfully now, but it was a lot more work.

Good luck with your baby [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/01_smile.gif[/img] Bloat is such terrible worry....I feel for you!
post #38 of 295 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I acquired my first German Shepard, my vet at the time told me that free feeding helps prevent bloat. I've free-feeded ever since (....15 dogs.....)and have never had a problem. ... My understanding is that free feeding works because they nibble and graze all day instead of putting a lot of food in their stomach at once....

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is that bloat/torsion is a matter of fermentation from grain heavy diets. Some nutrient sparse, grain heavy foods have fairly high quantity feeding guidelines. The more grain in the digestive system, the greater the likeliehood that fermentation can be too much, too fast in a section of the digestive tract that cannot readily expel the excess. Some dog food ingredient lists look pretty close to what you'd feed farm animals. Dogs are not designed for grain heavy diets though many handle them fairly well.

Grazing should reduce the likelihood of the digestive system having to handle too much gas at once. By this theory, less fermentable ingredients would also reduce the chance of bloat/torsion.
post #39 of 295 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 05:05 PM
Elite Member

i have never had a problem with the dogs eating free will. the vet claims that is even healthier because as dakotas stated, they are not putting too much in their tummies at one time. i only began the practice after the death of our last GSD who died from bloat at the ripe old age of 13.

i feed bearla science diet prescription diet (ID) plus slump (home made food) and she loves it and is doing well on it

I'd rather be hated for who i am than loved for who im not. An old shoshoni saying about loosing someone you love, MY HEART IS ON THE GROUND, NOW I MUST PICK IT UP AND MOVE ON
post #40 of 295 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 09:41 AM

make sure your dog is not getting alot of soy in diet this seemed to be what the prob. was for me..also it was good advice to keep them calm before and after a meal..secondly I spent months sleeping with my dog warm compresses for his belly and was able to give an antacid his vet recommended after months he was back to normal. At 14 an operation is out of the question for us. He has also had a stroke and I wanted readers to know DO NOT give up on your dog if he has had a stroke as mine has..After a week or so of carrying him all 100+ lbs of him he regained his strength and has been healthy and happy for the last few months..Good luck to u
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page