BLOAT true medical emergency: a must read for GSD owners - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 295 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 06:38 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Help needed with bloat

[ QUOTE ]
By comparison, a friend's GSD bloated and the vet didn't do the tack, said to wait and do it later when he was healthier and not so stressed....he bloated 8 days later and died. Don't wait.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean the dog only bloated and died? Or did it bloat with torsion and died? If torsion was involved, did he have torsion both times he bloated or just the second time?

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 295 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 09:36 PM
Elite Member

My vet did the gastropexy while Chey was in surgery for torsion. I figured it was routine to go ahead and do this while the surgeon had the dog open ?!?

GSGSR & GSR-SP
Trainer @ Obedient K9 Dog Training /Professional Member of I.A.C.P.
Proudly owned by Reno CGC, Lance CGC, Carlie CGC & Sniper CGC (GSD's)& Rylee CGC Yorkie(all rescues)
RIP my beautiful Cheyenne (GSD)
Dogster Id: 638901

post #23 of 295 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 10:55 PM
Crowned Member

[ QUOTE ]
My vet did the gastropexy while Chey was in surgery for torsion. I figured it was routine to go ahead and do this while the surgeon had the dog open ?!?

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xmastreesmiley.gif[/img] I've always thought it was standard practice too - I've never heard that it wasn't. That's why I got confused and I asked her if she was talking about bloat only or bloat with torsion.

At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser

post #24 of 295 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 07:52 AM
Elite Member

I'm confused as well. Seems like common sense to just do it while the dog is under rather than risk it happening again.

GSGSR & GSR-SP
Trainer @ Obedient K9 Dog Training /Professional Member of I.A.C.P.
Proudly owned by Reno CGC, Lance CGC, Carlie CGC & Sniper CGC (GSD's)& Rylee CGC Yorkie(all rescues)
RIP my beautiful Cheyenne (GSD)
Dogster Id: 638901

post #25 of 295 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 09:53 AM

>Do you mean the dog only bloated and died? Or did it bloat with torsion and died? If torsion was involved, did he have torsion both times he bloated or just the second time?

The first time, he only had dilatation, no volvulus, and they were able to pass a tube and decompress him, so the vet sent her home and told her to wait on the gastropexy. The second time included volvulus and he was too far gone by the time they got him to the emergency vet to save.

Lee Baragona
post #26 of 295 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 11:04 AM
Crowned Member

[ QUOTE ]

The first time, he only had dilatation, no volvulus, and they were able to pass a tube and decompress him, so the vet sent her home and told her to wait on the gastropexy. The second time included volvulus and he was too far gone by the time they got him to the emergency vet to save.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the clarification!!!

post #27 of 295 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 05:19 PM
Elite Member

Never let him eat out of dishes that are too high, it causes problems which trigger bloat. Does your vet or a dog food specialty company sell ID science diet food. This food cuts down on chances of bloat reoccuring or even starting. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/31_paw.gif[/img]

I'd rather be hated for who i am than loved for who im not. An old shoshoni saying about loosing someone you love, MY HEART IS ON THE GROUND, NOW I MUST PICK IT UP AND MOVE ON
post #28 of 295 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 12:07 AM
Crowned Member

[ QUOTE ]
.... Does your vet or a dog food specialty company sell ID science diet food. This food cuts down on chances of bloat reoccuring or even starting. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/31_paw.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are there studies that show this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #29 of 295 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

I read the ingredients and ID science diet has soy and citric acid, the 2 "no, no" ingredients or rather the 2 ingredients that can cause bloat. I'm not sure how it would prevent bloat?

Danica v Johnson-Haus; DOB 8/06/10
Thunder v Whispering Pines; R.I.P my boy (GSD)-4/93 - 6/07
Bear (Rottweiler) 4/93 - 6/07
Ruskie; (terrier mix) 8/88 - 5/01
Kiska; (Siberian Husky) 5/92 - 12/92
post #30 of 295 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 03:05 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to EastGSD

Keep in mind the Purdue study only identified what they *think* increased incidences of bloat based on surveys....there really is no firm evidence of anything that causes bloat.

Cherri

owned by:

GSDs
Emma and her GerMercian kid
Tobe

And Doxies' Abby and Charlie my Service dude
and Stan and Castor the parrots
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page