German Shepherds Forum banner

Allergy? Hotspots? Stress?

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  James1892 
#1 ·
Hey,

Shelby has recently started chewing his
Back Paws and looks sore under his front legs. Everywhere else is fine. I've been to the vet and he just wants to give him apoquel which I find useless as it doesn't help the dog, just masks the problem.

He's not had a change in diet. It didn't happen last year at all so must be pollen? Only thing I can put it down to is stress as my wife was in hospital for a week and he was worked up whilst she was away. I'll upload a pic of his paws but stuggling for his arms...

Anyone got remedies/ideas to stop chewing etc? even when he's playing in the park he is making them bleed just running around...

Thanks..

#4 ·
Steve, I've tried a few things.. various anti itch balms and wipes, sensitive babe wipes, salty water... just seem to aggravate it. Although he exercises a lot, and they are bleeding easily.

I need to bandage them up too when I can get some, to stop him chewing whilst I'm out..

#5 · (Edited)
Wow poor baby! That looks very intense.
What I would do. Cone! Even if he has to wear it for the rest of the summer. It is what it is! Only time is off, when hes outside on walks with you, etc. Just like with humans, dogs get a chemical release that feels good when you scratch or in this case lick at something that is itchy. So on top of it all its addictive.
GeneONE spray is what I find works the best on hot spots as it works on a bacterial level. It also is supposed to help with the itch. The other thing you can do it buy antiseptic pads like chlorhexidine wipes. So perhaps coming in from outside wipe all the areas with the antiseptic, spray the GeneOne spray (you have to get at your vet) and keep the cone on the head to keep from licking and further irritation to himself. No one likes putting cones on their dog, but if it helps me heal from being miserable, totally worth it!
Try and keep the diet to "cooling" foods.
Have you tried benadryl? Dogs are 1mg per pound and it can be given 2-3 times a day, for dosage. Its quite safe!
Hope he heals :(
(And i wouldn't be scared of doing a short period of Prednisone or clavimox, etc.) Because this does look very severe.. :(

#7 ·
Since he has seem him for the issue i would hope so! But it depends on the vet, as some vets are sticklers for seeing the pet before anything is given, even if already known of the issues, etc. But you can ask!
Benedryl, the cone, chlorhexidine wipes you should be able to get at a pet store, or a drug store. The other things you would have to get through vet..

#9 ·
Ouch!!! Ask your vet about the neopredef powder Steve mentioned. We used it once with a dog who had a nail bed infection worked great cleared it up. Could be a grass or weed or also allergic reaction to fertilizer used on your lawn. The comfy cone may help from licking the paws. Hope you find some answers.

#10 ·
That looks pretty bad and calls for drastic measures like a cone. The cone was the only thing that broke the chewing cycle for Deja (started out as a flea allergy), not the apoquel, calendula or vetricin. I stopped feeling sorry for her discomfort of having to wear that cone but she is fine with it and freely sticks her head in it for a treat. It is the perfect size from Petco (pink color), just long enough to cover the snout. In a few weeks she will be boarded and then I take it off as she will have other things on her mind then.
You do have to pay attention to fluid intake as they cannot drink with that cone. I let Deja have access to the toilet when I am gone as it seems wide enough for her to manage. Good luck and I hope he will start feeling better soon. I cannot think of anything else for him than a cone. Sorry.

#12 ·
We have one back leg with a similar problem. Benedryl and Zyrtec didn't seem effective for him. We are now trying Claritin. When it was wet and raw I used a Chinese powder (Yunnan baiyao) topically to dry it and then used manukau honey. _He is under the care of a wonderful Derm vet who rec trying a "hock sock" a custom made thing that we have ordered. This sock will breath but stop him chewing, tho it's possible he will go for his other leg. It's a difficult condition?

#13 ·
I love the powder that was mentioned, and the Genone spray. You may need a round of antibiotics. I use an inflatable cone that looks like a life preserver and the dog can drink and eat with that. It works great for the back feet, but the dog might be able to reach the front feet. You could try booties made for dogs to keep him from chewing. I made sock "suspenders" for my senior pup. I cut off the bottom of a sock and put holes in the top cuff. Then I ran a boot lace through the holes and tied it up over her shoulder. I changed the sock every day for about a week until the feet healed enough that she stopped chewing.

#14 ·
I am curious to find out about dogs that lick and chew themselves: does this concern single dogs or does it also happen when they live with one or more dogs? Deja is an only dog (for now) and she does lick a bit too much but it is not a problem. I wonder if it is boredom because I cannot entertain her 24/7, although she would love that. Would love to hear from you. Thanks.

#15 ·
Wolfy dog, one of my dogs does lick herself and we have 3 dogs plus a foster. It's not constant though-summer and winter she is usually fine as long as I'm careful with dog food. She has lots of friends to play with:) Licking feet is often food or environmental.
To add to my comment before, I would bathe the dog with Malseb and consider a food change. It's possible the dog developed an allergy to it.

#17 ·
Just revisiting the site after a long time (Baby was born, dog is trained and they're getting on great) - Shelby no longer has saw feet. He had a lump on his back which was cut out (nothing bad just a sore) once this was gone he stopped chewing his feet I think the cone done the trick - broke the cycle, he doesn't bother with them any more!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.