German Shepherds Forum banner

GSD 7 months extreme left hip pain

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  cheffjapman 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! Today me and my 7 month old GSD King went for a morning walk and on the way back he was walking very slow and loosely. Once we arrived home I had him lay on his back and gave him a massage and stretched his back legs So I can check what's wrong. Now he ALWAYS allows me to stretch his back legs and he loves it as it relaxes him. Today he would not let me stretch his left leg for him. He cries very loud once I stretch it and he even bit me twice from his pain. I haven't touched again so it doesn't get worse. He doesn't show any limping signs but since he was 2 months old, I believed he had something wrong with his left leg but I was strongly denied by many friends and users on forum and that he was completely fine. I haven't x rayed him and won't be able to take him to a vet for several months as I am currently not doing well financially but will try to take him asap. It hurt him alot and he didn't let me stretch his left leg. I remember when he was 2 months old, My vet gave me info on hip dysplasia. One of the very important symptoms of dysplasia written on the sheet was when the dog doesn't allow u to stretch his leg to the max. He is still letting me stretch his right leg fully but he won't allow me touch the left. I checked his leg and there is nothing bothering him from the outside like fleas or such. I know hip dysplasia isnt preventable and can be founs only using x ray but I just wanted to check on here to see what y'all think. Any input is appreciated. Thank you!

See less See more
#2 ·
I forgot to add that when King pees on trees, he can lift his left leg up easily with weight down on the right but he always has a hard time to lift his right leg up and put weight on his left leg. When he is able to put weight on the left leg at times, you can tell it's not as easy for him than the right leg.

#6 ·
Thanks. I do not pull his legs. He lays on his back and stretches them in his own. I just extend it to the end with my fingers slowly and he really enjoys it as it is giving him a full stretch extension. He just didn't let me extend his left one slowly and carefully. I have stopped touching his legs though as you said it will only cause more problems. Thanks

#5 ·
Hopefully others with more experience will reply but answering a few questions might be helpful.

Was it a normal walk (length of time and distance) that you always do? Anything happen that could have caused him to trip, slip or twist the leg like jumping over or on something. Has he ever experienced this before. When you started the walk, was he acting normal?

How was he yesterday?

Fleas won't make him favor a leg like that. Also, there are other things that could cause that kind of pain besides hip dysplasia. Pano is often very painful. Both need a vets attention to diagnos.

I agree don't fiddle with it and if he is in that much pain that he is nipping at you, if it were me, I would try to figure something out to get him seen as soon as I could.

sorry that this isn't more helpful.

#7 ·
Thank you very much for your reply. Our walk this morning was about 30 minutes long. It was mostly on grass and we just went to grab some breakfast for me. We usually walk twice a day for about 30 minutes and every other day I take him to the dog park to play for about an hour or two. He never experienced the pain before, it just started this morning. He usually comes to me and Lays on his back so I can stretch his legs. He didn't like it on his left leg at all today when he always does. When we started the walk the he had full energy. 15 minutes in and on our way back. He slowed down and started to sniff and just walk slowly and look at people and dogs constantly. He was fine yesterday. I don't think he has pano as he doesn't limp or show any of its symptoms. He uses both legs fine on stairs and can run fine in my opinion. He runs very different than all dog's but I think that's how shepherd's run (one of the back leg touches ground before other one). He isn't as fast as my previous shepherd. I'd say he is quite slow runner compared to other GSD's and dogs. He is on a raw diet and good supplements.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.