German Shepherds Forum banner

Is this a tick?

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Thecowboysgirl 
#1 ·
I've never seen them this shape so I just want to double check. I give him his monthly meds/cream so not sure how this one made it through

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
You can also use tweezers. Put the tweezers as close to the dog's skin as possible (you want to grab the black part), put just enough pressure to hold onto the tick but not enough to snap it in half, then pull steadily until it comes out.

Clean up the bite with some mild antiseptic like hydrogen peroxide.

Then use your disposal method of choice. I prefer alcohol under a glass or a lighter. (Yes, I'm vicious. I hate the little buggers.)

#11 ·
Glad you got it out! But be careful with methods such as spinning it, or in general making the tick uncomfortable so that it backs out. Often times they are actually regurgitating when they release. The best approach is a needle nosed tweezers or a tick key and pull them out.

I usually kill them by putting them in a small bit of water with dishsoap. Works every time, that's what we use at the shelter and then we flush them once dead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.