German Shepherds Forum banner

Anaplasmosis AGAIN!!!! Spray yard or no?

908 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  katdog5911 
#1 ·
I am so frustrated! Went to vet with my 6 yr old and 1 yr old today to check for heartworm/tick disease....BOTH came up positive for anaplasmosis and the 1 yr old lyme as well. So the younger one started doxy this evening....300 mg 2x a day. He had no symptoms or outward signs of illness. The 6 yr old.....she tested positive for anaplasmosis exactly one yr ago today....and she got so sick from the doxy. So before she gets put back on it, the vet is sending her blood sample out for more in detail testing. I guess they now have the ability to see if there are actual active organisms in the blood or just antibodies from prior infections. Hope it isn't active because I hate to go through what we went through last year.

Sooooo, how to control the ticks. I use Advantix II and spray Wondercide or Vets Best on them. I try and brush him every day and feel through his coat. He is a long coat so there are plenty of places for the ticks to hide. I don't know what else to do. We are considering spraying the yard. I have questioned the safety of spraying for dogs and am told it is safe once dry. As much as I hate to use chemicals....this year the ticks are so bad I may have to......

#2 ·
What about wondercide yard spray. Used to be called ecotreat, but name may have changed

#5 ·
nematodes too. "Wonderside" started a thread here and answered a question about using nematodes along with ecotreat. The question was if it was safe to use if you applied nematodes or would it negate the effect of nematodes.
Cannot remember what they suggested. They weren't sure but looked into for the poster who posed the question.
Nematodes multiply by feeding on grubs, flea, tick eggs/larva (?) and many more (saw link that said 250 bugs) in the soil. Helps grass too killed because of the grubs which skunks feed on.
Here in Ontario it is suggested to apply in spring and fall. You apply with hose and sprayer. You have to keep grass watered. How much I don't know. They're not supposed to dry out

#6 ·
Advantix II doesn't work on ticks around here anymore. i was applying it every 3 weeks and grtting engorged ticjs off them anyway. I quit using it last year and switched to Vectra 3d which is better bt still not 100%

Both of my dogs have come up with Anaplasmosis too, but no Lyme positive since we vaccinated for it.

The year I tried to treat naturally with no chemicals my girl got Lyme, erlichia and anaplasmosis. So, now we use chemicals.

#7 ·
Well, I got the yard sprayed. I just couldn't take finding ticks in the house anymore. And while I am concerned about saving the bees....I am more concerned about my dogs and my family coming down with some nasty tick diseases. The company that sprayed did not spray any shrubs or flowers that are blooming so hope that saves the bees.

Even with spraying Wondercide on the dogs and bedding etc, still finding ticks. Hate to resort to chemicals but I live in tick central and they are sooooooo bad this year. The vet said one of her clients dog came in with a dog that had70....yes 70....ticks attached. (Client wasn't using any preventative)

I have given up walks in the woods and parks for this year until it gets cold enough for the ticks to be inactive. So I would like to be able to enjoy the yard at least. I just worry about health effects on the dogs. I was told it is ok....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.