German Shepherds Forum banner

Healing from OCD and Elbw Dysplacia?

860 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  carmspack 
#1 ·
I am having a dilemma. About 2.5 years ago I gave up Ddog (age 9 months) to the breeder as he was diagnosed with OCD (in bones) and elbow dysplacia. Both my vet and the ortho thought that his prognosis was grim. Long story short: I got Deja, his litter sister in return after he had her x rayed and gotten a clean bill of health. It was an extremely stressful swap for me. So....Ddog has been living on natural soil with very limited work and exercise, and kept very thin for at least that first year. x rays taken at 2 years of age showed that he had healed and was no longer limping. I board Deja at that place and always see D and the pain is mutual. He cries when I load up Deja etc. I asked the breeder about his plans for him and he is looking for a pet home. So.. I have been thinking about taking him back but not after new x rays will show that he is 100% healed. So I am asking those of you who have more experience in these bone issues, if this is a good idea (I know both will play hard and they will have to live together, which I will be able to handle). Deja definitely recognizes her brother as she never shows this enthusiasm for any other dog she meets. So here it is. Even though they are litter mates, they have never lived together after 11 weeks of age. Could this litter mate syndrome still be an issue?

#2 ·
I don't have any experience with these bone issues. But if I were you, I would have the new x-rays done and then ask the opinion of my vet and the ortho if Ddog 's health is up to living with healthy active Deja. If it is, then I would take him back.

#3 ·
I was just thinking that maybe Ddog cries when you leave not because he is attached to Deja but because he is attached to you. I guess a way to test that would be for you to visit without Deja and then see how he reacts when you leave. If he still cries, then you may want to consider taking him even if you will have to curtail some of his playtime.

#4 ·
I know he cries for me. One time I couldn't stand it any longer and asked the breeder if I could see him outside his enclosure and he went berserk (Deja was already in the car); jumping on me, ears flatter than flat and such a happy face. He didn't make any attempt to leave me to check out his sister. If I take him home, it will purely be on emotional grounds.

#5 ·
Update: D found a home that is a perfect match for him. It solved my dilemma and everyone is happy. Once my back issues are resolved I hope to get a pup. For now plenty of time to shop around for two other options besides a GSD pup: Labrador or Chinook.
Any recommendations for a Labrador breeder in the NW? Not interested in the show type.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.