URGENT: Fleas won't leave her alone! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

URGENT: Fleas won't leave her alone!

My baby girl is 14 weeks old and has been suffering from fleas for a few weeks now. I gave her a bath, and applied flea and tick repellant cream on her that is supposed to last about a month per application tube, and it's been three days and she still has them. I also found a tick on the back of her neck that didn't get off her for ANYTHING. We tried peppermint, cream directly by the area and on the tick, and didn't come off. We had to use tweezers, and it buried itself in her it was such a struggle to get it out, but we managed to get it out with the head and all. Since there was one tick on her do you think there would be more? I'm worried that the fleas won't go away,and there are more ticks stuck to her. We have tried so much but nothing has worked. My girl has been itching badly for weeks, I don't know what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

She doesn't have an infestation, in fact I've only seen about 3-4 live ones, and 3-4 dead ones on her. But she's still scratching and nibbling/biting at her legs and arms and back, anywhere she can teach. :'(
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:32 PM

Have you de-infested the house and her sleeping areas?? VERY important!

She likely has developed an allergy to the fleas, so even one bite will set off the itching. Try a soothing shampoo, like oatmeal shampoo.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:37 PM
Crowned Member

What was the tick product that you applied? Some of them don't kill the tick right away -- so finding some live ones doesn't necessarily mean it's not working (just that it maybe works slowly).
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

I have tried an oatmeal shampoo and it didnt seem to do the trick
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

I have, but since she still has them they keep coming right back. I used EasyDefense Herbal Squeeze-On for Dogs, that repels fleas, ticks, and mosquitos.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 02:11 PM

In my experience, most of that herbal crap is junk. Use Advantage, or a similar product that is known to work. Also, vacuum the whole house, especially sleeping areas. If the dog gets up on furniture, take the cushions out and vacuum in behind them thoroughly. Wash all bedding. THROW OUT the vacuum bag afterwards, as it will be full of creepy crawlies that may hatch out.

Most of the flea's life cycle occurs off the dog, as eggs, larvae and pupa. Break the cycle by getting rid of the other life stages, and you are more than halfway there to controlling the infestation.

If you don't like chemicals, diatomecious earth works on the larvae, but the adults have too thick an exoskeleton, as you will know if you've ever tried to kill a flea by pinching it between your fingernails!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 02:41 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Flea control without chemicals is doable but does require a LOT of work. I doubt a puppy by 14 weeks has an allergy yet. Probably just itchy from the bites. You mentioned loose stools and not hungry. Any white squiggly things in the stools? If you have dealt with fleas for over a month, they are the vector for bringing tapeworms to your dog.

Diatomaceaous earth in all the cracks of the house. Daily vacuuming and that means moving furniture. If you have carpets that is not good. Get a flea comb and comb out the puppy at least once a day. to pull out ticks, I love the tick twister it is so easy.

Learn to ID the ticks because it will assist you in controlling them. For example, dog ticks can breed inside your house without any intermediate hosts while other ticks usually require a rodent host for part of its life cycle. This is a GREAT website. University of Rhode Island TickEncounter Resource Center

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 05-18-2017 at 02:44 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 02:50 PM

If you have any unrefined virgin coconut oil in your pantry, melt it on your hands and rub it on your dogs coat/skin - 1/2 tablespoon to 1 tablespoon should do the trick. Do it outside, because the fleas will jump off as quickly as they can and likely die within minutes. Coconut oil kill fleas, it also kills lice. It works by basically suffocating the creatures; fleas breathe through their exoskeletons. Any kind of oils coating them prevents them from breathing. It does not, however, kill pupae or eggs so constant treatment is reaquired to continually kill the adults. Some eggs may stay dormant for up to a year.

Another good trick: take a cheap flea collar, cut it up (wear gloves!) and put it in your vacuum cleaner’s canister to kill the fleas that have been brought into your carpets.

I feed my pup 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil a day, and rub her up with it before we go out into the woods as a preventative from ticks/fleas.
There's many benefits of coconut oil and most dogs love it!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 03:53 PM
Crowned Member

Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and buy the "powerful stuff" from the vet to get the problem under control, then you can more easily maintain with natural products.

NexGard is labeled for pups over 8 weeks. If the pup is suffering from both fleas and ticks, I'd want to get this dealt with fast -- esp. because of the risk of very serious tick disease. Knock 'em out.

I've used this shampoo on shelter dogs that were covered in fleas: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...ea-pet-shampoo

It works if you follow the label directions exactly. I used to buy this product by the gallon when I volunteered at a shelter full of flea-infested dogs. It helped make them more adoptable (nobody wants to adopt a dog with bugs jumping all over it). It doesn't have staying power though--they'll come back if they're in your environment (which they almost certainly are, after a month of this). I didn't want to have my hands in pyrethrin-shampoo for hours washing dozens of dogs, and this one was pretty gentle.

Last edited by Magwart; 05-18-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page