HELP! my puppy cant walk - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

HELP! my puppy cant walk

At about 4 months my puppy started to walk a little wonky and I just thought maybe because he is just growing different because his back legs were so much longer then his front ones. However it has got worse. The video I took was about 5 1/2 months and he is now 6 months and he falls over all the time and is getting worse, I am taking him to the vet on Tuesday. He has a really arched back and when he walks around he sometimes walks on his knuckle. He cant hold his balance when he poops either, he falls over. I dont have a lot of money as I am in college and am not working very many hours with bills I need to pay and my worst fear is not being able to give him the care he needs, or him being diagnosed with something incurable. Anyone ever had a dog that went through something like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 07:16 PM
Crowned Member

You've made the vet appt. for Tuesday, so now I suggest you prepare by writing when the difficulties first appeared and how they have progressed to date. Also take your phone or laptop so you can show the vet the video you took. Take it one step at a time and try to stay positive for your puppy's sake. Try not to worry about the money - it may not cost as much as you fear. But when you do get an estimate of the cost - be upfront and inquire about a payment plan and/or being able to work some of the bill off - perhaps by cleaning kennels.
selzer, DutchKarin and Pivot like this.

Sting Chance von Gaard AKC GSD 2/8/2006
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 08:02 PM
Crowned Member

Does it sound like wobbler's? we can't diagnose the puppy for sure, but there are some things that GSDs do get and Wobbler's is one of them. Someone else might know more. We do want to stay positive, but it is also good to have good questions for the vet when you go in. It is always possible by having some suggestions, we might point a vet in a direction they may not have gone in.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Hepzibah

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 08:09 PM
Crowned Member

It seems this usually happens to young adult dogs. So probably not a puppy this young. Here's hoping.
Wobbler Syndrome in Dogs | petMD

Knuckling is often a symptom of DM, but that is also usually older dogs. Could it be an injury? What are you feeding and how big is the puppy?

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Hepzibah
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 09:29 PM
Crowned Member

You said you have a video? Can you post it?

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 10:14 PM

At the vet's office, I would suggest getting some x-rays taken to make sure the hips and spine look normal. That is usually the first and cheapest step to trying to figure out what is going on. Another thing you could ask for at the vet is getting a blood test to make sure he doesn't have any tick borne diseases. I JUST went through this with my 8 month old puppy, and it turned out that he had serious neurological problems that I could do nothing about.

But don't get too negative yet! There is still hope that this could be fixed. Good luck! I know this is a very terrifying thing to go through.

Feel free to PM me (when you have enough posts and can) if you would like to talk or have any questions.

Forrest 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

here is the video

I couldnt figure out how to post the video so i uploaded it to youtube
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

I am feeding him blue wilderness 100% grain free for puppys. I weighed him last week and he was 45lbs. I dont know if I will figure out how to post the video but possibly injury, his legs are very stiff and when he walks he doesnt bend them. When he brings his back legs forward he brings them out and around.

[yt]1OEXYvusUvE[yt]
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:38 AM Thread Starter

Okay, thank you for your device, how was the vet able to tell your dog had a neurological problem? was he able to tell from the xray? Thank you for your wishes of luck, i hope its fixable.
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

[YT]1OEXYvusUvE[/YT]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page