Please Help- Sick dog, Unproductive vet visit - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Please Help- Sick dog, Unproductive vet visit

So took the dog to the vets today for the third time in as many weeks.

During the weekend of Mar 25-26 I noticed that the dog was coming down with something stomach wise so we switched him to just kibble. He was getting progressively softer stools and doing little stretches like his stomach hurt. We normally feed him kibble in the morning and raw in the evenings and for the most part he's had an iron stomach (until now). On Monday night it progressed to diarrhea that he could not longer hold, became bloody, and he started throwing up. We live in the middle of rural Japan and no vets clinics were open until morning. I considered knocking on some doors (2 of the local vets live in houses attached to their clinics and will answer emergencies), but the dog was waking me up every hour to let him out so I took him to the earliest vet clinic to open first in the morning. There he got an anti-nausea shot, diarrhea pills, and an antibiotic. Stool test was negative for parasites. After the vet appointment he seemed to improve. No more bloody diarrhea or throwing up. Just weird poop, but that is to be expected while on antibiotics.

I thought once he got off the antibiotics his stool would slowly return to normal. Instead of returning to normal his poop regressed to a constant state of diarrhea with intermittent episodes of blood and nausea. In other words he was still sick, just not as severely as that one night.

Took him to our normal vets again this Tuesday. He was scheduled for his yearly vaccines and wellness check. I told the vet tech about the illness and she recorded the symptoms (the vet was in surgery) and instead of vaccines he got another stool sample test and an appointment with the vet today.

Today they just basically took the stool sample, lightly admonished me for giving him uncooked food and bones, and said it might be remnant of bones still hurting him but they can't do xray until at least after Tuesday. I'm pretty sure if he had a perforated intestine since the end of March he would be dead by now and if he did wouldn't that be a medicals emergency, really Tuesday!?

They said feed him just kibble and nothing else even treats starting now, to try and get back to a baseline. The problem is that is what we've been doing for three weeks now. We did try also try a few meals of high quality chicken breast (We live in Japan, I'm talking the sashimi grade stuff) and one of pork tenderloin since he wasn't improving on the kibble, but made no deference to the diarrhea. We even threw out the old kibble and bought a fresh bag just in case.

The stool test took today is to test for salmonella and other bacterial (instead of parasites that the first two tested for). The problem is they had to send the test to a lab and the results won't be back for 1-2 weeks?! Is that normal? In the mean time the dog is in obvious discomfort.

Of course there are remedies like slippery elm and dog specific probiotics that I could order from the internet, but it defeats the purpose if they take 1-2 weeks to arrive. Is there anything I can purchase from the grocery store and give him in the meantime that could help him out? Already tried pumpkin in his kibble.

Last edited by Bjax; 04-21-2017 at 07:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:36 AM

Has he been tested for parasites?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
Has he been tested for parasites?

Those were what the first two stool tests looked for.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:57 AM
Crowned Member

I have recommended this recipe many, many times. It was given to me by my vet and has been passed down through three generations of vets. My vet says that it gives the gut time to heal. It firms up the stool. I have used this recipe for 4 different dogs and have always had success. Worst case, it won't help, but it won't hurt either, so why not give it a try?

**Measurements are approximate and don't really matter:

1 pound (or more) of ground beef
2 cups of All Bran cereal

Fry the ground beef and drain off grease
Put ground beef in large bowl and mix in 2 cups of All Bran cereal

Feed the dog a few handfuls of this mixture throughout the day. This - and nothing else. Keep the mixture is the refrigerator. After a few days, I add a little kibble into the mixture.

This works so well for me, that sometimes, I just make some up and add it to the kibble as a topper. It keeps stools firm.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:06 AM
Crowned Member

SO glad that the vet did not give the vaccinations! They are only to be given to WELL dogs, and your dog is not. I would hold off until your dogs health is steady and this issue is resolved.

Can you possibly get raw goat's milk locally?

Goat’s Milk
"According to the Journal of American Medicine, “Goat milk is the most complete food known.” It contains vitamins, minerals, electrolytes, trace elements, enzymes, protein, and fatty acids all utilized by the body with ease. In fact the body can digest goat’s milk in 20 minutes. Having fat molecules one-fifth the size of those in cow’s milk makes it easily digestible and tolerable to those with compromised digestive systems."

If you get the goat's milk, begin with small amounts until the gut gets use to it. Then you can work up slowly to desired dose.

What kibble are you feeding?
It's possible he could have become sensitive to something in it.

I'm sure that you don't want to change right now because of getting a baseline, but have you tried boiled skinless, boneless, chicken or turkey mixed with whole grain white rice?

Here is the recipe for possible future use:

To help get the diarrhea under control, withhold food for 12 hours (for Puppies) to 24 hours. Then put dog on a bland diet for a few days.

Purchase some boneless, skinless chicken breast and remove fat or get ground turkey breast. If the dog has a chicken sensitivity problem purchase ground chuck or ground round steak. Also purchase regular white rice, and a can of PLAIN (NOT pie filling) Pumpkin.

Chicken OR Ground Beef: Boil, then rinse grease off of meat very well. Shred and cool.

White Rice (not instant): make with about 2 times the amount of water suggested. The cook time will take almost twice as long but will make the rice super digestible. Adjust stove heat towards the end of cooking time so as not to burn.

Ratio mix should be 2 cups rice to 1 cup chicken or beef.

Feeding should be divided into about 4 smaller feedings per day adding 1 Tablespoon of Pumpkin per meal.
Adjust amount fed per day for your size dog.

BTW, Pork should always be frozen for a few weeks before feeding.

I'm not familiar with Japan, but do they have health food stores where you could purchased some ground Psyllium Seed Husks? (also goes by the name
Plantago ovata plant’s seeds or ispaghula).
It is rich is soluble fiber. Funny thing about psyllium is that it is used for constipation OR diarrhea! It can stabilize bowl movements in some pets/people. It also helps to detox the colon! You can start out with 1/4th teaspoon and then work up to the amount that keeps your dogs stool steady. Once using it, if the increase of the psyllium begins to loosen the stool up again, back off to previous dosage, hold there and watch.

Keep us posted.
Moms
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:12 PM
Crowned Member

Just to add, about my All Bran/ground beef recipe....

It is all about the fiber. All Bran contains 10 grams of fiber. And ground beef rocks, because my previous dog was allergic to chicken.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:59 PM
Elite Member

Lots of nasty stuff in raw meat that could cause these symptoms. Hope he gets better real soon! Feeding raw diets to pets: Where are we now? (Proceedings)
Sunsilver likes this.

Olivia von Jagenstadt "Nikki" 11/21/2009

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 05:06 PM

Kibble?

What kind of kibble are you feeding your dog?

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Stevenzachsmom;8490161]I have recommended this recipe many, many times. It was given to me by my vet and has been passed down through three generations of vets. My vet says that it gives the gut time to heal. It firms up the stool. I have used this recipe for 4 different dogs and have always had success. Worst case, it won't help, but it won't hurt either, so why not give it a try?
[QUOTE]

This looks interesting. Headed to the grocery store for ground meat and the closest thing I can find to All Bran. We already tried white rice and boiled chicken breast. In fact the was the first thing I got him to eat after the initial episode. At least he isn't losing weight.
Stevenzachsmom likes this.

Last edited by Bjax; 04-21-2017 at 09:49 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post

Can you possibly get raw goat's milk locally?

What kibble are you feeding?

I'm sure that you don't want to change right now because of getting a baseline, but have you tried boiled skinless, boneless, chicken or turkey mixed with whole grain white rice?

BTW, Pork should always be frozen for a few weeks before feeding.

I'm not familiar with Japan, but do they have health food stores where you could purchased some ground Psyllium Seed Husks? (also goes by the name Plantago ovata plant’s seeds or ispaghula).
It is rich is soluble fiber. Funny thing about psyllium is that it is used for constipation OR diarrhea! It can stabilize bowl movements in some pets/people. It also helps to detox the colon! You can start out with 1/4th teaspoon and then work up to the amount that keeps your dogs stool steady. Once using it, if the increase of the psyllium begins to loosen the stool up again, back off to previous dosage, hold there and watch.

Keep us posted.
Moms
The goat milk is also interesting. Unfortunately I don't think I will be able to buy that locally. I haven't seen one goat in this area except a miniature in a petting zoo. Actually for how rural the area is there is a surprising lack of livestock. Tones of farms and gardens, but very few animals. For whatever reason you have to go up to Hokkaido to regularly see livestock. I found that goats have not been historically kept in Japan with the exception of in Okinawa. Also unpasteurized milk and cheese from local sources (ironically imported is okay) can not sold in Japan for human consumption. On that note I think I found a mail order source specifically for dogs. Looks like if I order this weekend, it can be delivered by Tuesday. That's still before the lab results would be in.

Here's the website incase anyone else lives in Japan. (only in Japanese)
????????????? | ????? | ?????????????????????

He's been eating Blue Buffalo Wilderness Bayou Blend and Denali Dinner with no issues. Based on the sudden and acute onset and that it responded to antibiotics I doubt it is a food sensitivity. We were at the bottom of a large bag of Bayou Blend and we threw that sway and got a new bag incase it had gone bad.

Already tried the chicken, rice, and even some pumpkin.

We always freeze the pork and the fish for a few weeks before he gets it.

Unfortunate Psyllium seed husks would probably be an Amazon purchase. I don't know what we're going to do if the lab work comes back inconclusive.

Thanks Mom! Will keep you posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page