German Shepherds Forum banner

What is this bump on her head?

38K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  yuriy 
#1 ·
Just found this on my dog's head while petting her. Nearby the ear. It's an elevated bump, about 1cm in diameter. No attached bugs, no visible bite or scratch marks, does not seem to look any different from the rest of the skid, just elevated. Doesn't bother the dog, and is not sensitive.

She swam in the ocean today (has done so many times before w/o any issues, but not recently), other than that, no changes of any sort.

Any ideas?

See less See more
#4 ·
My WL girl gets raised bumps on her skin and they are cysts. She's had to have two of the larger ones removed, but also has a few small ones behind her ears that don't bother her and aren't noticeable.

Have your vet check it out and figure out what it is. Keep us updated!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Mac has had three removed. Luckily none were malignant, but they could have burst or opened up if they weren't removed. Always good to get them checked out. Let us know what the vet says!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#10 ·
We've had a few that were sebaceous cysts, and my old male had one that turned out to be a Level 2 Mast cell tumor. I'd ask for a needle aspirate or whatever they called it. My vet was good and he took one look at it and said "I want to remove this thing today, and then we'll biopsy it." I trusted him, left the dog for day surgery that day, and sure enough if was a bad mast cell that was really big under the skin.

#15 ·
Glad it all went well! My girl has had three removed and all were benign. Praying for the best!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Thanks, all.

Heard back on the biopsy results - no cancer. That's a relief. Couldn't tell what the cause was: said it might have been an insect bite, hair follicle, or who knows what. Hair is unlikely as there were two cysts in different spots, but insect bite is quite possible as we did a 16-day trip to and around southern US in early March (Vancouver -> California -> Death Valley -> Arizona -> Grand Canyon -> Utah -> Vancouver), camping most nights.

The biopsy did say that the cysts were removed in their entirety, so nothing should be re-appearing in the same spots, and suggested consulting a dermatologist if any more pop up.

Now to re-grow the shaved-off fur and get back to normal!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.