10 month old with elbow hygroma/seroma - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

10 month old with elbow hygroma/seroma

My 10 month old boy has a hygroma on his elbow. Went to vet to make sure this is what it is. Vet was thinking he might have hip dysplasia or elbow dysplasia....and wants to do xrays. I am ok with xrays but is a hygroma a sign of either of these? I know lying on hard surfaces can cause them, but my vet said that is generally in an older dog, not a 10 month old. He also did say that maybe Sherman is just a big clumsy puppy....

Kathy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sherman-GSD 5/27/16
Stella-GSD 6/17/11
Ruben-Newfie/? mix 7/2003-5/25/16 a dog with a big heart, who was always there for me...miss you my old man

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 10:07 PM
Elite Member

I don't know if a hygroma can be a sign of dysplasia or not, I know my Newlie had what we thought was a hygroma and no one ever mentioned that correlation to me. His hygroma turned out to be a mass (benign) which I had removed earlier this year.

I used a product called Canine Angels on my first dog when he got older and the calluses on his elbows started breaking down and looked like raw meat. It consists of protective sleeves that fit over each elbow with a strap across the back. Max's elbows healed right up and and stayed healed right up to the time he died, but he wore them all the time, except when they were being laundered. It would not be necessary for a puppy or younger dog to wear them all the time.

Anyway, I have heard about (but not tried) a similar product called Dogleggs. They operate the same way to protect the elbows, but the big advantage is that the sleeves open and close with a velcro strap which keeps you from having to wrestle a dog's legs through the sleeves.

Anyway, just thought I would mention it. Maybe talk to your vet and see what he thinks. Here is a link:

https://www.dogleggs.com/
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

actually my vet mentioned dogleggs! I guess we will see what the xray shows. Hope that it turns out he is just a big, clumsy, puppy! Not thrilled about having him sedated for xrays, but that is the only way to do them. And it will be good info to have however it turns out....

Kathy

Sherman-GSD 5/27/16
Stella-GSD 6/17/11
Ruben-Newfie/? mix 7/2003-5/25/16 a dog with a big heart, who was always there for me...miss you my old man

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 11:12 PM
Master Member

Nitro developed one following elbow dysplasia surgery, on the incision site, when he was 9 months. It didn't last long, his surgeon looked at it and it went away on its own.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Well tomorrow Sherman will have x rays and we will find out if there are any hip/elbow issues. I am not really worried about the hygroma....I am concerned about any dysplasia....

I have read that they frequently resolve on their own.

Kathy

Sherman-GSD 5/27/16
Stella-GSD 6/17/11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page