German Shepherds Forum banner

anyone have experience with Perianal Fistula

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  JakodaCD OA 
#1 ·
Hoping to find some hopeful guidance for my 3yr old female GSD who was just diagnosed with Perianal Fistula. It appears to be pretty bad and the vet was not hopeful nor knowledgeable. He explained that he has only seen this twice in his career. He prescribed prednisone and metronidazole. Is there more I can do to get this to a manageable state or to a promising road of recovery? If I am being honest, he made it seem like treatment was useless and she would likely succumb to the condition.
Thank you in advance!

#2 ·
Search the forum. There is also an email group that is private and is supposed to be good but it's hard to get into it. I had a rescue with them and we cured with a good diet and a stress free environment. But his was caused by neglect. You need to find out other causes, because I presume your dog is well cared for. Once you figure out what caused it, you can make changes.

#4 ·
perianal-fistulas Ck out this site, join their email list, lots of great information, referrals of vets that are savvy when it comes to PF's in your area, support.

It is NOT a death sentence and there are varying treatments that may 'heal' or put back into remission...You definitely need to be seeing a vet who KNOWS about PF's..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.