German Shepherds Forum banner

Rectal bleeding in gsd

8K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  SkippyShadowCat 
#1 ·
My in laws have a 5 yr old GSD. He is 90lbs, unaltered and unkept. They called me this morning to ask my advice because I am a vet tech but I'm not sure what to do because the dog is aggressive to anyone including them so that makes it hard for me to take him to work and test him for anything plus they cant afford anything. But they said he started pooping straight water 2 days ago that has turned into dripping blood. And is straining to poop. He's eating like nothing is wrong with no vomiting. He has a history of cow pie stool, has never had a formed stool. He eats kal kan. He isn't well cared for and stays outside. I was thinking possible blockage. Prostate problem. Epi? I'm not sure where to start with an aggressive dog. Any advice? I know he needs to go to the vet but it is no option for them and I can only afford so much at this time to help

#3 · (Edited)
Sadly, It could be a lot of things. If you can't get him to vet, you could try panacur for 3-4 days along with Tylan for 10 days. Then in 3 weeks do another round of panacur. That's on the hope that it is something "simple" like giardia.
Edited to add: can they try chicken and rice for a few days to calm his stomach. If not, maybe try something like Purina pro plan sensitive skin and stomach.

#4 ·
If there's concern about a blockage I'd stop feeding until he can be seen by a vet.

Without the ability to pay for his care or transport him, have y'all considered contacting a local GSD or dog rescue for help? Sometimes they will help families with vet bills, etc. Sounds like he needs to get to a vet pretty quick.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I completely understand as I would do everything and anything for my boys and I have. They have done nothing right by thier boy and I have tried my best to persuade them of treatments for his chronic diarrhea and allergies. He has no socialization at all and can't be loaded up and will lunge at and attack other dogs and people. He can't even be led with a leash.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I was going to recommend rescue surrender as well if the family can't care for him. If it's a bad scenario it may be the only way to get him the help he needs.

Reactions: cherub737
#11 · (Edited)
Poor dog. Surrendering a human-aggressive dog may mean a death sentence at most shelters. There aren't a lot of homes out there for dogs that want to attack people and dogs. He needs someone who will make him a project dog, and there aren't many fosters willing to do that for this kind of dog. Not many rescues will touch a human-attacking dog--the safety of foster volunteers, their kids, their neighbors, and their pets has to be considered.

Is there a farm vet who will go out to this dog's place? If so, maybe see if that vet would maybe be willing to dispense some dewormer (Panacur) for at least 5 days (that gets giardia plus most worms), and maybe Ponazuril paste for coccidia. Coccidia causes watery diarrhea with blood in it, and straining. Those would be the most likely things that I would want checked in a fecal test, and if no fecal test could be done, I'd probably just ask them to be dispensed and hope for the best, as they're cheap and safe. The meds could be mixed into some canned food each day, so he wouldn't have to be handled.

If a farm vet could sedate him, he could do a rectal exam and fecal test.

#12 ·
If the dog is this symptomatic, even if not yet showing effects of what ever is wrong, it would be kinder to have him euthanized if they refuse to treat him.....rescue is not going to want him, AC will put him to sleep as a surrender with temperament issues....the long term history logically sounds like EPI - maybe with parasites or other complications....seriously - this is neglect and abuse and is probably chargeable.....I feel really really badly for the poor dog on so many levels.....never loved or cared for....why would they even have a dog?????

Lee

#13 ·
By the way, to save money on the Panacur and Ponazuril, a farm vet can calculate how to do a canine doseage using the large animal products. The Panacur 10% liquid costs about half what the canine granules cost -- I think a 5 day dose typically runs $15-20. I'm not sure about the Ponazuril, but the last time we got it for a rescue dog, it was a small line item -- maybe $20. Have you spoken to the vet you work for?

#15 ·
I guess it's unusual, but we have a last chance rescue out this way that specifically takes on agressive dogs and dogs that basically have nowhere else to go.

Any options like that where you are?

If not, I don't know if there's much of a chance for him if y'all can't get him to a vet.

Even if it's not something serious now, it may turn into something worse without medical care.

#16 ·
Some rescues have medical outreach for local families. But a vet would probably have to be seen. I usually buy the panacur at either the feed store or Amazon. Tylan used to be at the feed store, but that may require a prescription now. Magwart had some great suggestions.
Ultimately since the dog has had stool issues they might want to try another food. Sportmix wholesome fish or lamb isn't too much more than what he's on now. Some of the regular sportmix and Pro pac are at a good price point. Purina one sensitive systems is another but that might be more than they can do.
Poor pup.

#18 ·
Kal Kan??? This is the food.
How about we start with the obvious

Kal Kan Dog Food | Review | Rating | Recalls

Kal Kan Dog Food receives the Advisor’s lowest rating of 1 star.

Ingredients: Ground yellow corn, meat and bone meal, soybean meal, ground wheat, chicken by-product meal, animal fat (preserved with BHA and citric acid, source of omega-6 fatty acids), wheat middlings, corn gluten meal, natural flavor, salt, dl-methionine, potassium chloride, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, vitamin E supplement, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, niacin, manganous oxide, vitamin A supplement, biotin, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin B12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, folic acid, cobalt carbonate, vitamin D3 supplement
Fiber (estimated dry matter content) = 4.5%

Red items indicate controversial ingredients

(the rest in black is synthetic nutrients likely from china added into the food to make it AAFCO cert.)

#19 ·
Sorry. A family emergency came up and I haven't been able to respond. Yes I'm a vet tech but I'm a fairly new one that works at a practice that sees very little real cases, and I do like to get advise from outside sources, it also helps me learn about other ailments, vets sometimes don't think broadly and mine is somewhat hard to talk to, but I have. I have got him some meds albon and panacur as well as antibiotics and probitics so hoping that helps, but will helps them look into other things in case
It doesn't

#21 ·
This really could be a life threatening issue. Can the owners handle him, who has contact with this dog? That person needs to put a muzzle on the dog. If nobody in the house can then I would ask the vet you work for to see if he would be OK with the dog being strongly sedated and then muzzled. You can use a pole like the ASPCA officers use an then loop him. Also, whatever stool is there take in for a microscopic. It just could be too many things...tumor, pancreatic insuff., all of the above. The thing is he may also be aggressive because he may also be in pain...you said his stool has been off a long time. I also agree with the surrender but he truly needs to be cared for now. Good luck, bless you for trying to help him...hope you will keep us posted.

#22 ·
Just read that you said they switched foods from Cosco to kalKan...was that recently? Within this same time frame. Did they switch gradually or all at once, This dog, with previous stool issues, would def be reactive to this. Also, just a thought...what about surrendering to a no kill rescue but they continue to financially support the dog...at least to what they are spending in food. His temp may be different when not so sick and cramped from stool issues and environmental stress. Can they at least cover an xray to rule out the worse?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.