Puppy vomiting every third day - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Puppy vomiting every third day

I have a five month old long hair GSD. Every third day she will vomit up everything. I thought it was from her eating to fast so I bought her a slow feeder. I also stopped playing with her right after she eats. But still consistently she throws up. It seems to be every time we plAy with the rope toy. She's been eating blue buffalo large breed puppy food since the day I got her and no problems the first three months. I'm wondering if this is a serious issue or if maybe just normal with the breed. She's always energetic and never lethargic. And right after she vomits she'll try and eat it and still wants to play.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxskater25 View Post
I have a five month old long hair GSD. Every third day she will vomit up everything. I thought it was from her eating to fast so I bought her a slow feeder. I also stopped playing with her right after she eats. But still consistently she throws up. It seems to be every time we plAy with the rope toy. She's been eating blue buffalo large breed puppy food since the day I got her and no problems the first three months. I'm wondering if this is a serious issue or if maybe just normal with the breed. She's always energetic and never lethargic. And right after she vomits she'll try and eat it and still wants to play.
I'd check in and get advice from her vet, since that's the only sure way to know what's going on. That said, my Shepherd got horribly sick off of Blue Buffalo when she was a puppy and I haven't touched it since. Maybe switch her to a different brand with a different protein source?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

MacKenzie - Workling Line Female
Wolfram - West German Showline Male Pup (Soon to join the family)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Thank you. I won't be able to take her for at least a week and in the mean time in going to track her vomiting and the activities at the time to see if I can find a pattern. She's to small for her slow feed so she can still eat the same as usual so I'm not aite if it's a bloat problem or if she gets dizzy from playing tug of war since she shakes her head a lot

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

The last time she threw up was Wednesday (today is Monday ). So it's been a few days in between each occurrence
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxskater25 View Post
The last time she threw up was Wednesday (today is Monday ). So it's been a few days in between each occurrence
Good that it's not happening every day. Make sure she's getting lots of water so she doesn't get dehydrated. I'd still call the vet and explain what's going on to see what they'd like you to do until you can come in.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

MacKenzie - Workling Line Female
Wolfram - West German Showline Male Pup (Soon to join the family)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:59 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

No, this is not normal. It could be the food or it could be something else. When Halo had giardia as a puppy she occasionally vomited. Keefer had giardia as a pup and he never vomited so I didn't realize that it was a potential symptom. Once we treated her she stopped.

-Debbie-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:10 PM

Blue Buffalo has had some recalls for canned food lately. I don't know what's up with them, but something shady is going on with their beef source - something about high levels of a thyroid hormone? Not good. Just something to be aware of.

I would see what a vet has to say about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page