German Shepherds Forum banner

Vaccination Protocols

3K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  onyx'girl 
#1 · (Edited)
https://www.facebook.com/PlanetPaws.ca/videos/1404799696261575/?pnref=story

The Dangers of Vaccine Overdosing
"Over-vaccinating and the overdosing of pet vaccines has become a global issue. 5 lbs dogs are receiving the same dose of the rabies vaccine as 150 lbs Great Danes, and vets are now witnessing terrible side effects."

Many of us on FB have seen this video floating around the past coupled of days. Dr. Robb has a file that should be shared with every veterinarian.

Because many are making appointments in the Spring for HW testing or vaccination boosters, this is a great time to spread this information to our local vets and techs.

http://protectthepets.com/Information.pdf

#3 ·
Titers are always great, but the law won't accept them if your dog is involved in a bite case. And rabies vax is the only one that is required by law in most states...regardless of what the titer reads. This is what Dr. Robb and Dr. Scultz are trying to change. One vaccine(rabies) should be good for the life of a dog.

#4 ·
I am thankful to have a vet that believes in titer testing in my small rural town. :)

Unfortunately onyx'girl is right that in the eyes of the law at titer will not be accepted as a valid means for an up-to-date rabies vaccination so if the dog is involved in a bite case it will have to go into full quarantine at an approved kennel. Some mass-market pet stores, groomers, and daycares will not accept titers either. I hope that in the future the research that is currently being conducted will have more results that the vaccines stay in the systems for much, MUCH longer than what we first thought and that size should be taken into consideration for cats, dogs, and any other animal that is given the vaccine. There have already been several peer-reviewed studies that have come to this conclusion and as far as I know no peer-reviewed studies that disprove these ideas, but with any kind of science there is always more research to be done.

#5 ·
I hope that in the future the research that is currently being conducted will have more results that the vaccines stay in the systems for much, MUCH longer than what we first thought and that size should be taken into consideration for cats, dogs, and any other animal that is given the vaccine.
My 2 GSD's are a testament to the study that Dr. Schultz and Dr. Dodds are conducting.

They both only received 1 Distemper (@ 20 weeks old) and 1 Parvo (@16 weeks old) (holistic vet approval) and they have never had another one!
They are now 9 & 10 years old and I have them titered every year to be safe.

I have heard of dogs that when titered did not show any antibodies, so that is why I am a firm believer of titering every year.

I hope that others will become aware of over-vaccinating and "Just Say NO" to their vets when they push all those vacc's and ask for titer testing.

Paying the extra money is VERY worth it to me!

Vaccine Serology
Minimum Duration Of Immunity For Canine Vaccines
Distemper- 7 years by challenge/15 years by serology
Parvovirus – 7 years by challenge/ 7 years by serology
Adenovirus – 7 years by challenge/ 9 years by serology
Canine rabies – 3 years by challenge/ 7 years by serology
Dr Schultz concludes: “Vaccines for diseases like distemper and canine parvovirus, once administered to adult animals, provide lifetime immunity.”

Moms:)

#6 ·
Seger had zero antibodies for either distemper or parvo at 1 year old. Can't remember which one without digging out papers. Re-vaccinated at 1 yr and the next year his levels were fine. If a person is not going to vaccinate then titers are a MUST.

I think minimal vaccinations are why our Boxers are living so long. Our last Boxer died just two weeks shy of 13 years. Our current Boxer will be 11 in May and is in great health. I've looked at food and looked at environment and I keep coming back to genetics and vaccinations.

Jax had her puppy series, her 1 yr, titered at 4 and vaccinated at 8 years. She's good to go for core vaccines for life.

I do not mess around with rabies. Every 3 years. There is no coming back from rabies and if there were a bite, whether by the dog or to the dog from a wild animal, the law is not going to side with the dog.

#8 ·
So the problem with this video about a 5lb vs a 150lb dog is that it FALSLEY makes you think that vaccines are weight dependent. THEY ARE NOT!! The dose is based on immune response.

Vaccines are not antibiotics. There method of action is different and it's inherently dangerous to under dose.

Your 120lb self gets the same dose of Flu vaccine as you 220 lb husband.

Reactions: maxtmill
#9 ·
#11 ·
It's the law in Oregon that dogs be UTD on rabies vaccs and licensed (cannot get licensed without the vaccination). Without licensing I could be fined, and I believe if a repeated offense they will impound the dog, which means going to animal control, paying a huge fee again as well as licensing being mandatory to get your dog back (which means you have to get rabies UTD). I don't measure the amount of rabies vaccs being put into my dogs, I let the vet do their thing, but the varying price with rabies vaccs in the dogs I have had tells me that they put more into a larger dog than a smaller dog. Getting shots on my 110 lb Shepherd was way more expensive than on my parents 60 lb Aussie.

#12 ·
They do NOT put more in a 110 lb dog than a 60 lb dog. I bet you bill was higher due larger sizes of flea and tick and HW prevention.

#18 ·
Our chihuahua weighs 7lbs and one Gsd 85 lbs and one Gsd pup still growing but all the vaccines are the same cost. It is one dose vaccine all around and does not vary by weight. It what they use to preserve the vaccine I don't like -not the vaccine itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.