German Shepherds Forum banner

Ear And Skin Problems

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Sandyk 
#1 ·
I have two Shepherds, both are half sisters, one has this skin problem, her ears are flakey and dry, and her neck will have this sticky stuff on it, I have put her on a grain free diet, I have added salmon oil to her food , I have also put olive oil on food , I have treated her ears with aloe Vera solution, yet this condition continues with no improvement , she also has a allergy on her paws with wet grass, they turn red, her half sister is fine no problems, anyone have any suggestions as to what else I can do?

#2 ·
Hi Sandyk and WELCOME!!!

I have two Shepherds, both are half sisters, one has this skin problem, her ears are flakey and dry, Try rubbing USDA Organic Virgin Coconut Oil (NO Hexane) in her ears. This is a semi-hard white gel which can be purchased at a local health food store (NOT GNC).

and her neck will have this sticky stuff on it, Is it a sore? Does it weep? If so, this is a "hot spot". Many things can help this but the best is a raw diet.

I have put her on a grain free diet, Sometimes dogs are sensitive (allergic) to the "non-grain" items they use in the food such as pea/lentil products.

I have added salmon oil to her food , I have also put olive oil on food, -Good idea but apparently not doing the job!
-Does the salmon oil label state that it has been tested for heavy metals
-Have you ever given a probiotic? (See list below)
*Over 70% of the immune system (which fights allergens and many other things) lies in the gut and it's VERY important to keep it healthy.

I have treated her ears with aloe Vera solution, yet this condition continues with no improvement, Again, great idea, but it's not curing the situation, so changes need to be made

she also has a allergy on her paws with wet grass, they turn red,
-JUST when she is on wet grass or other times too?
-Is the wet grass she walks on sprayed with chemicals?
-Does she chew at her paws?Does she ever smell like corn chips or moldy?

I think you may be dealing with yeast problems.

Could you afford (for at least 8 weeks) to put this one dog on an HPP (High Pressure Pasteurization) food called Stella & Chewys OR Ziwi Peak to see if it will help the situation?

Here is the info:

Stella & Chewy's:

• 90-95% meat, nutrient-rich organs and bone
  • Grass-fed, cage-free, wild-caught or farm-raised protein
  • 100% organic fruits and vegetables
  • No grains, gluten, fillers, added hormones or antibiotics
  • 100% complete and balanced for all life stages
All Stella & Chewy’s products are made at our FDA-inspected plant in the metro Milwaukee, Wisconsin area. We work closely with our network of suppliers, all of whom have filed letters of guarantee confirming each ingredient is wholesome and fully compliant with federal regulations, to ensure the highest quality ingredients go into each one of our products.
We source premium meats such as grass-fed beef from North America, Australia, and New Zealand, cage-free chicken from North America, and wild-caught salmon from North America.

All fruits and vegetables are certified organic, and sourced from North and South America as seasonally available. These ingredients are complemented by added minerals and vitamins to make each dinner for dogs or cats complete and balanced as determined by the American Federation of Feed Control Officials (AFFCO). Probiotics and antioxidants are added to each dinner to further enhance each recipe. All product is manufactured using our patented SecureByNature® food safety process. A key feature of that process is High Pressure Processing (HPP). All Stella & Chewy’s products are cold-pressed, using water at pressure equal to that found at the bottom of the ocean (87,000 lbs. per square inch), where harmful bacteria cannot survive.
HPP inactivates pathogens and harmful bacteria without high temperatures. It remains the only recognized process to not use heat as used in pasteurization, chemicals, preservatives, or irradiation, which while effective, can also erode the flavor, texture, color, and nutrition of food.
The HPP process is 100% natural and recognized by the FDA and USDA as an anti-pathogen treatment. It has been deemed as appropriate for many products, and is currently being used in meat, seafood, fruit juice, dairy products, and processed fruits & vegetables.
Stella & Chewy’s strictly follows Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HAACP) guidelines, a prevention-based food safety system established by the FDA and USDA. Low levels of safe, pathogen-fighting ozone and hydrogen peroxide prevent contamination by surface and air-borne pathogens.
Frozen Raw Dinner: https://www.stellaandchewys.com/prod...rozen-patties/
Store locator: https://www.stellaandchewys.com/where-to-buy/

OR

ZIWI PEAK: "Air Dried Food"

ZiwiPeak Cuisine
(condensed info)
ZiwiPeak pet food is a complete, natural balanced real-meat diet prepared with care in New Zealand. All of our natural ingredients are sourced from the green, free range farms and blue, pristine oceans of New Zealand. The twin stage process eliminates pathogenic bacteria, such as e.coli, salmonella and listeria, while protecting the natural nutrition of our ingredients. As a further safety step, our products are mandatory tested and only released for sale after approval by the New Zealand government's regulatory authorities.
Air-drying is a technique that has been used for centuries to naturally preserve meats. Our modern method stays true to this artisan approach, while eliminating the need for artificial preservatives, salts, sugars or glycerines. Our slow, gentle, twin-stage air-drying process crafts a food that is as nutrient-dense and digestible as a completely raw diet but safe, clean to handle and can store for up to 21 months.

Example:
Beef: A complete, balance diet of ranch raised beef meat and organs, this protein rich meal features delicious red meat and nutrient dense organs. It also includes New Zealand green-lipped mussels, a natural source of chondroitin for joint support, and herbs, vitamins and minerals, making it suitable for all breeds and life stages.

Beef ingredients - Beef Meat (min 58%), Liver, Lung, Tripe (min 32%); Green-lipped Mussel (min 3%); Lecithin; Chicory Inulin; Dried Kelp; Parsley. Naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols; Vitamins: Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Hydrochloride; Chelated Minerals: Iron amino acid complex, Copper amino acid complex, Manganese amino acid complex, Zinc amino acid complex, Selenium Yeast, Potassium Bicarbonate, Calcium CarbonateCalories - 2227 Kcal/lb
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min) 38%
Crude Fat (min) 35%
Crude Fiber (max) 1.0%
Moisture (max) 13%
Ash (max) 7%
Calcium 1.83%
Phosphorus 1.29%

An 11 pound bag will last a 70 pound dog approximately 20 days.

Price is $142.00 but if you get it on the "auto shipped" program the price goes down to $128.00 for 11 pounds at Only Natural Pet: ZiwiPeak Daily Cuisine Grain-Free Air-Dried Dog Food
There is a feeding calculator at the bottom of this page; Our Ingredients | ZiwiPeak

She would eat one of these foods and NOTHING else except a 100% beef treat without any other ingredients in it: This is called an "Elimination Diet".

Treat Example: https://www.chewy.com/purebites-beef-liver-freeze-dried/dp/53160

I would suggest purchasing a high quality Digestive Enzyme that uses HUMAN grade ingredients
Sunday Sundae (Digestive Enzyme & Pro-Biotic Combo: https://market.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/search?q=sunday+sundae Gut Sense (ProBiotic): http://dr-dobias-natural-healing-usa...ducts/gutsense
Digest All Plus: (Digestive Enzyme/ProBiotic combo) Wholistic Digest All Plus? - Digestive Support - Canine
Animal Essentials: Plant Enzyme w/ Probiotics 3.5 oz 100 gm - Animal Essentials

Moms:)

#4 ·
Thought these 2 threads may interest you. ;)

The dog was very sick here: 1/18/17: 4:04 pm - My 8mo male is always sick - http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/682161-my-8mo-male-always-sick-4.html by TiaMarie
Hi all, I haven't been doing much on here other than lurking as of late. My 8mo black gsd Oakley has been sick on and off for what seems to be since he was 5 months old. He's been having skin issues since we got him at 10 weeks old.

He came home with a staph and ringworm infection from the breeder- she promptly repaid me the treatments and the vet bill. Shortly after we noticed he was always itchy and we switched him to a fish based limited ingredient diet- which seemed to help a little.
One day (aprox 5 mo) after a romp with our cat I noticed he had a large gash on his forehead. I treated the cut with some ACV and triple antibiotic cream. The following day he began refusing food and had diarrhea- so off to the vet to the tune of $300-ish and I was given expensive Apoquel, 30 day round of antibiotics, and a special shampoo. He seemed to improve a bit, then declined. Vomiting, diarrhea, itching, refusing food, lethargic. We returned to the vet who prescribed a new 21 course of antibiotics, and a sulfur bath. I was told he would need repeated baths, but at this point could not really afford or stand the smell after the first one. Symptoms seemed to quell for a while but he just generally since has been a lethargic dog. A month ago before his scheduled neuter surgery we had another "flare up" this time he was not eating or drinking or pooping. I was convinced he had a blockage so after my $500 vet bill and all was concluded was he had inflammation and needed pepcid and to go back on apoquel for the allergic reactions and another 30 day antibiotic course... I felt fumed. He would have a good day with some energy and the next he wouldn't leave the couch and seemed slightly feverish.

My vet refused to work with me on doing allergy testing with a lab, and vet dermatologist is not in my budget.

I've taken him off of the Apoquel, to be honest I think it was making him sick, he is only a pup and it is not tested for dogs under one, yet the vet kept pushing it on me. He is doing ok on beef products, as of now we have a buffalo limited ingredient food, and when he's "sick" (he will refuse food and vomit/diarrhea) we do rice and pumpkin with boiled beef. He's been on a probiotic, pepcid ac as needed, and benadryl 2x a day (no energy still due to this but seems to manage some discomfort). His ears and scalp are raw with scratching so I've been cleaning them with ACV and I have a lidocaine spray I rub in to help his discomfort. His poor fur is thinning in spots on his head.

I am beside myself. Every time I take him when he's feeling better for a walk he gets an upset belly or feels feverish the next day. I don't run to the vet anymore- I feel like their infinite wisdom has helped put him in this miserable state (I understand his allergies are not in their control- but his lowered immune issues). Does anyone have any ideas? I feel like I'm at a loss- I've sunk so much money into multiple visits over the same issues with no improvement. I love this dog, and his illness is driving me into depression.

1/18/17: 6:56pm - #6:
He was fine on his fish limited ingredient food until one day he wasn't. I don't know if it was just the food, or if the dog food had been a bad batch and made him sick but he just stopped eating and refused to eat for three days. Nothing else changed here other than the weather- I myself have mold allergies which acted up around the same time (with all the snow melting prematurely). He's stopped getting people food for a while now other than the occasional raw carrot or cut zucchini- or when he's sick and I have him on rice, pumpkin, and beef.

I will be getting a second opinion from a vet at some point. Right now I'm just trying to manage him without the Apoquel- which seemed to stop working anyways. His health issues have put me into a finacialy tight spot so I am trying to pay off some things first before I incur more charges from it.

RESULTS from raw diet: http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...witching-commercial-homemade.html#post8373905 TiaMarie
2/20/17: 10:08 pm

Hello! Last time I posted about my Oakley he was in rough and poor shape

I appreciate all the advice and information I've found here from you guys, and I know that Oaks is very happy too!
He was covered in oozing scabs and welts on his head and ears and always sick and always SCRATCHING and CHEWING! Now he has a few healing scabs left but overall doing excellent.

We've been eating Stella and Chewie's brand raw beef frozen patties. He gobbles them up and I never have to lure or bribe him to eat food like I used to. Cost wise it is not the best way to feed an 85# pup. However what I thought was allergies has cleared up almost 90% (minus the few healing scabs and the occasional scratching) so I've been experimenting by adding some raw meats (chicken, pork, and sardines) with luck stools have stayed pretty good and no excessive itching other than the occasional scratch here or there (he used to scratch 24/7).

2/20/17: 10:21 am:

I have been bathing him with water/ACV (I can give you this recipe) as a natural way to manage yeast/bacterial balance on his skin so he doesn't get infections from scratching. I spray him down completely to drip dry every other week, and locally daily to manage and prevent infection. I've saved $800 in vet bills since we went raw.

That was quite a success story in a VERY short period of time!:grin2:

#5 ·
well ms Momsto2 , while out trying to find a product for a friend , I got involved in a conversation regarding vitamins and minerals. I was on the look out for a particular mineral product - (fulvic and humic blend) .

ruminating on the information exchanged I had a lightbulb moment ----

how many of these dogs are reacting to the vitamin pre-mix used in kibble formulation.

truth is that almost all of them buy their stuff from the same lab in China.

when you know , for example, how vitamin C is made in a lab you would never take another supplement that was not real , not from whole food.

included are chemicals common to nail polish remover (acetone) and rocket fuel (perchloric acid) (corrosive)
https://www.ncsu.edu/ehs/CHP/PerchloricAcid_section II.pdf , benzene .

so when a former kibble feeder switches to raw some of the health benefits might be the quantity and quality of the proteins , fats, and also the ABSENCE of the chemicals used in the synthetic vitamin pre-mixes

just a thought

#8 ·
well ms Momsto2 , while out trying to find a product for a friend , I got involved in a conversation regarding vitamins and minerals. I was on the look out for a particular mineral product - (fulvic and humic blend) .

ruminating on the information exchanged I had a lightbulb moment ----

how many of these dogs are reacting to the vitamin pre-mix used in kibble formulation.

truth is that almost all of them buy their stuff from the same lab in China.

when you know , for example, how vitamin C is made in a lab you would never take another supplement that was not real , not from whole food.

included are chemicals common to nail polish remover (acetone) and rocket fuel (perchloric acid) (corrosive)
https://www.ncsu.edu/ehs/CHP/PerchloricAcid_section II.pdf , benzene .

so when a former kibble feeder switches to raw some of the health benefits might be the quantity and quality of the proteins , fats, and also the ABSENCE of the chemicals used in the synthetic vitamin pre-mixes

just a thought
I SO Totally Agree!!!

That is why I always suggest that folks choose high quality supplements.

#7 ·
Have you gone to your vet? Hot spots are painful.

#9 ·
The dogs pads on her foot turn red, when she is on wet grass. Yes she will lick them, the grass has no chemicals on, I did get cream from the vet which helps a lot, but doesn't solve the problem.
I have the invisable fencing , so the collar has two metal prongs on her neck which I thought she could be allergic to metal,so we have rubber pads on the prongs now, but her neck gets hard scabs, sometimes it mushy, kinds sticky, I bought a bamboo collar for her also. I clean the neck all the time.
Her inside of the ears are terrible very scabby ,dry, I clean them also all the time, None of this things seem to bother her, she doesn't scratch her neck, does'nt shake her head.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.