German Shepherds Forum banner

Anyone used Atopica 50mg before for Itchy Paws?

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Magwart 
#1 ·
Hi All. My 5 year old GSD has suffered with itchy paws for about the last 3 years.
She was tested for allergies and is allergic to dust mites.
We've treated the carpets, she's been on steroids, Apoquel and now on Atopica 50mg which are mega expensive! There appears to be a reasonable improvement after a week..
Does anyone have any experience with using Atopica 50mg for allergies/itchy paws?

#2 · (Edited)
Apoquel and Atopica are some pretty heavy meds!

Have you ever tried to do an elimination diet with a ONE protein, commercially prepared and balance, raw food diet and treats, without ANY form of chicken in it to see if it helped? IMHO, this is safer.

Example: Stella & Chewy's:

• 90-95% meat, nutrient-rich organs and bone
  • Grass-fed, cage-free, wild-caught or farm-raised protein
  • 100% organic fruits and vegetables
  • No grains, gluten, fillers, added hormones or antibiotics
  • 100% complete and balanced for all life stages
All Stella & Chewy’s products are made at our FDA-inspected plant in the metro Milwaukee, Wisconsin area. We work closely with our network of suppliers, all of whom have filed letters of guarantee confirming each ingredient is wholesome and fully compliant with federal regulations, to ensure the highest quality ingredients go into each one of our products.
We source premium meats such as grass-fed beef from North America, Australia, and New Zealand, cage-free chicken from North America, and wild-caught salmon from North America.

All fruits and vegetables are certified organic, and sourced from North and South America as seasonally available. These ingredients are complemented by added minerals and vitamins to make each dinner for dogs or cats complete and balanced as determined by the American Federation of Feed Control Officials (AFFCO). Probiotics and antioxidants are added to each dinner to further enhance each recipe. All product is manufactured using our patented SecureByNature® food safety process. A key feature of that process is High Pressure Processing (HPP). All Stella & Chewy’s products are cold-pressed, using water at pressure equal to that found at the bottom of the ocean (87,000 lbs. per square inch), where harmful bacteria cannot survive.
HPP inactivates pathogens and harmful bacteria without high temperatures. It remains the only recognized process to not use heat as used in pasteurization, chemicals, preservatives, or irradiation, which while effective, can also erode the flavor, texture, color, and nutrition of food.
The HPP process is 100% natural and recognized by the FDA and USDA as an anti-pathogen treatment. It has been deemed as appropriate for many products, and is currently being used in meat, seafood, fruit juice, dairy products, and processed fruits & vegetables.
Stella & Chewy’s strictly follows Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HAACP) guidelines, a prevention-based food safety system established by the FDA and USDA. Low levels of safe, pathogen-fighting ozone and hydrogen peroxide prevent contamination by surface and air-borne pathogens.
Frozen Raw Dinner: https://www.stellaandchewys.com/products/dog-dinner/stella-super-beef/frozen-patties/
Store locator: https://www.stellaandchewys.com/where-to-buy/

Another one protein food you could try if you cannot bring yourself to feed raw is: ZIWI PEAK:
"Air Dried Food"

ZiwiPeak Cuisine
(condensed info)
ZiwiPeak pet food is a complete, natural balanced real-meat diet prepared with care in New Zealand. All of our natural ingredients are sourced from the green, free range farms and blue, pristine oceans of New Zealand. The twin stage process eliminates pathogenic bacteria, such as e.coli, salmonella and listeria, while protecting the natural nutrition of our ingredients. As a further safety step, our products are mandatory tested and only released for sale after approval by the New Zealand government's regulatory authorities.
Air-drying is a technique that has been used for centuries to naturally preserve meats. Our modern method stays true to this artisan approach, while eliminating the need for artificial preservatives, salts, sugars or glycerines. Our slow, gentle, twin-stage air-drying process crafts a food that is as nutrient-dense and digestible as a completely raw diet but safe, clean to handle and can store for up to 21 months.

Example:
Beef: A complete, balance diet of ranch raised beef meat and organs, this protein rich meal features delicious red meat and nutrient dense organs. It also includes New Zealand green-lipped mussels, a natural source of chondroitin for joint support, and herbs, vitamins and minerals, making it suitable for all breeds and life stages.

Beef ingredients - Beef Meat (min 58%), Liver, Lung, Tripe (min 32%); Green-lipped Mussel (min 3%); Lecithin; Chicory Inulin; Dried Kelp; Parsley. Naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols; Vitamins: Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Hydrochloride; Chelated Minerals: Iron amino acid complex, Copper amino acid complex, Manganese amino acid complex, Zinc amino acid complex, Selenium Yeast, Potassium Bicarbonate, Calcium CarbonateCalories - 2227 Kcal/lb
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min) 38%
Crude Fat (min) 35%
Crude Fiber (max) 1.0%
Moisture (max) 13%
Ash (max) 7%
Calcium 1.83%
Phosphorus 1.29%

An 11 pound bag will last a 70 pound dog approximately 20 days.

Price is $142.00 but if you get it on the "auto shipped" program the price goes down to $128.00 for 11 pounds at Only Natural Pet: ZiwiPeak Daily Cuisine Grain-Free Air-Dried Dog Food
There is a feeding calculator at the bottom of this page; Our Ingredients | ZiwiPeak

Article on Atopica:
Is Atopica Safe For Dogs? - Dogs Naturally Magazine

Moms:)

#3 ·
We've used cyclosporine (sp?) or the generic version of atopica. It helped with the itching, but I also remember her blowing her coat like never before. It took some time to grow back too, she looked ridiculous. We have her straightened out for the most part now and only mild flare ups. We use Zyrtec as needed and that's enough if we act as soon as tbe itching begins.

#6 ·
I'm just so fed up for her having to put up with this. I see 'Moms' below is giving info on diet. It's about the last thing I can try I think, but won't be easy as she is very food orientated, and as I understand it, all treats/biscuits/chew bones have to go out of the window while you try to ascertain what, if any, foods cause her problem. Will stick with the Atopica for a while, its only been a week now. One months supply cost me £172 and that was off the Internet via a reputable supplier. From the vets it would have been over £500!!

#7 ·
I feel so bad for you!

My sister just got a 4 year old golden with the same problems and we are working on her, so I understand how hard this itching thing is!

Yes, ONE protein raw food, containing NO chicken ingredients, and matching treat of same protein (no other ingredients) is best for an elimination.

Where are you in Europe?
I may have info for a raw supplier for you once you finish the atopica IF you can't get the Ziwi in your area.

Moms :)

#9 · (Edited)
Have you tried frequent medicated (chlorhexidene) baths and wipes? Baths can be done weekly or even twice a week -- the key is to leave the medicated shampoo on for the time indicated on the bottle (a phone timer is a great help with this). (JUST KEEP THE SHAMPOO OFF THE HEAD AND OUT OF THE EYES!)

This is the first line of treatment under the "gold standard" protocol developed by a blue-ribbon team of international vet derm experts. It helps SO many dogs simply by removing the allergen buildup AND the opportunistic microbes that grow where there's skin inflammation. You can keep a canister of the wipes by the door to clean off the paws each time she comes in, getting between the toes.

For some dogs, there's near-instant relief. Grass allergies seem to be more common.

#11 ·
Good news

Good news thank God. Zena's lump was a non-malignant tumor. Plastic cone off and she's not scratching the wound, so she's much happier! The vet said 'We're happy for you to continue on the Atopica now' !! I politely declined.:grin2:
I'm going to try her on Omega 3 fish oil supplements and the vet recommended that, and from what I've read about that, seems worth a try for itchy paws.

OMG!!!!

I am SO sorry! :crying:

#14 ·
The keto is an antifungal ingredient. It's good to have it to cover bases if you don't know whether you've got a fungal issue potentially, but I've used lots of chlor hex 4% shampoo without keto too. I stand with the dog while the shampoo is sitting on it for the time on the bottle, so they can't lick. Then they get rinsed and dried. I've never had a licking issue, so I don't know how much paw licking they can do after being wiped - if you call the vet, they should be able to give you an answer over the phone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.