Hyperflexion in wrist (carpal joint) - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Castlemaid

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Hyperflexion in wrist (carpal joint)

Hello.

First noticed around age 4 months or so. Dog is now 16 months. Affects both front legs....what is seen is at times (sporadically)....when he is sniffing the gournd ...or at rest...one may see a hyperflexion of the wrist. The dog is NOT down (like down in pasterns) but think of a bowing out or over. Sporadically. Very active male.

Dog has had pano Dx both front legs shown on xray. When discussed with vet the vet hadn't seen before and hadn't had any info to give me. At first we thought was a pressure relief due to Pano in both front legs.

No pain noted. No real swelling....just the hyperflexion. It is offputting to see him sitting or sniffing and to see that flexion.

Does anyone have experience or recommendations? Dietary changes have not had any affect on this to this point. (ie changing from higher to lower protein etc and we are not supplementing with supplements other than Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM, fish oil and that started long after the flexion was noted)

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:51 PM
Crowned Member

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Here is an example
Attached Images

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:07 PM

I've had a puppy affected before, but it was a young one - 8-16 weeks old. She grew out of it, vet wasn't too concerned. Her's wasn't very severe though. She was still eating with a littermate, so we seperated her so we knew exactly how much food she was getting. Vet said a brace may have been necessary if it had gotten more severe.

Vom Anfang German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Daenerys vom Eisenherz
Djali vom Anfang
Resident Belgian Malinois Cairo van Dallas K9

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:48 PM

Oh I'm so sorry this is happening to your dog, I have no experience with it but just wanted to say I hope you can find someone that can help the poor guy. Is surgery an option ?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Hi - update . I took the youngster to physio/rehab in Ontario for an assesment. Well....he is certainly showing laxity. Some crepitus as well in the carpal joint. Well muscled and fit...lean...and showing no tightness or flexion issues in neck, shoulder, elbow etc (one hour consult so pretty thorough!).

It was unknown if it was idiopathic. No real cause ( we can look at genetics etc but parents both clear and healthy). NO swelling or heat in the area.

Special physio wasn't specifically recommended as he IS well muscled all around. Great coat and skin.

I asked re carpal wrap and she was on the fence.

So...I was looking for more ideas etc so that I can make sure that this adolescent has the best life he can have.

Thanks!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 06:57 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Thanks for the update!

I'll lock this thread since you have another one going to address the issue:

Joint laxity in 18 month old
kmaot likes this.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page