Lepto kills one, sickens 2 in NYC - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:59 PM

Lepto ended up being the killer of my dog's husky best friend i remember her picking up/killing a small mole in the ground that she had digged for and 2 days later she had kidney failure from lepto. VACCINATE!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:00 PM

The San Diego area is also getting hit hard by Lepto right now. So sad.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

My area has had a very mild winter and last year was warm too. Makes me nervous about insects and microorganisms.

And we always catch a few mice this time of year too. Ughhhh.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 06:40 PM

Where we are is lots of squirrels, chipmunks, field mice and groundhogs....we vaccinate every year.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:53 PM

Same here... I'm surrounded by woods so we have field mice, squirrels, occasional mole. Scary.

Ghost - our first WGSD, parvo survivor, 9/30/16
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:58 PM
Crowned Member

Lepto vaccine generally only covers 4 strains of the bacteria. If you vaccinate, make sure you do it separate from other vaccines(and there is a booster necessary for first time vax'ing)
I know this bacteria all too well.

It hits everywhere except the desert dry climates.

San Francisco dog dies from bacteria, others at risk | abc7news.com

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 11:44 PM
Crowned Member

We don't have problems with heart worms or lepto here, but that sounds like this could change at some point.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 12:10 AM
Knighted Member

Anywhere that's flooded recently is also at risk of an outbreak. It moves with flood water, and lepto outbreaks tend to occur after floods.

It's not just rodents. Raccoons and foxes peeing on a bush can spread it -- then your dog smells the bush, flicks its tongue at it, and bam! Infected. Clinics in my area see a lot of it.

FWIW, there's now a 7-in-1 that carries the 4-strain protection instead of the 2-strain - it's labeled as DAPPvL4 (instead of DAPPvL2). It used to be that you had to do the Lepto as a stand-alone to get the 4-strain version, but that seems to have changed in the last year.

After the August floods in Louisiana, the rescue changed its protocol to do a 2-shot lepto series for every, single dog in the rescue. We used to leave that up to adopters based on where they lived, but there was so much flood water, in so many places, that our vet thought we needed to change the policy due to increased disease risk, as vets were expecting a spike in cases. We also blasted out a warning to adopters and on social media after the flood reminding people to vaccinate or booster early. Lots of people did booster early if they were more than 6-months from their last one. So far, so good. *knock on wood*
Daisy&Lucky's Mom and lalabug like this.

Last edited by Magwart; 02-16-2017 at 12:15 AM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:49 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post

FWIW, there's now a 7-in-1 that carries the 4-strain protection instead of the 2-strain - it's labeled as DAPPvL4 (instead of DAPPvL2). It used to be that you had to do the Lepto as a stand-alone to get the 4-strain version, but that seems to have changed in the last year.
I think giving such a huge cocktail above would be hard on the immune system, and if the dog had a reaction to one of the vaccines, you'd never know which one the dog was reacting to.

I personally do separate out the Lepto vax. I do not give it to young puppies.

I wish vets would not always do the convenient thing and look at health first. Their clients trust them to to the best for their dogs, and IMO, giving that 7 way is a jolt to the system. It may not show up immediately, but after time the dogs health is compromised one way or another.

Jane~
Kept by

and

Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page