Lepto kills one, sickens 2 in NYC - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:05 AM
Knighted Member

I get that -- and I do separate vaccines for my personal dogs. My view on messaging for this stuff has been shifting as I spend more and more time in very poor, rural areas where dog owners really struggle to do right by their dogs.

In a world in which many vets struggle to get dogs vaccinated even once for annual stuff, I don't fault those vets for doing the best they can in that one visit (knowing they won't see the dog again for a long while). Even getting people to return for boostering ends up being hard sometimes -- so many here have posted about parvo pups that weren't boostered. I don't want people in high-lepto areas to not vaccinate healthy dogs for lepto because they read here that there's a risk of vaccine reaction if they can't afford to separate.

I separate my personal dogs too because I'm in my vet office for play care weekly anyway -- it's a trivial thing for me to run over there for one more visit, and I can afford to do it. For a lot of people though, life isn't like that -- annual wellness vet visits are rare things that are big deals, and hard to afford. I'd rather people who struggle with vet bills vaccinate all at once (even at a feed store shot clinic) than not do it at all. Playing the odds, I think vaccine reactions are relatively rare...these diseases, though, are relatively common some places. For those of us with the luxury of separating, you can assuredly take both risks off the table. For those who don't have that luxury, do the best you can and play the odds of trying to avoid the killer diseases that are prevalent where you live.
MishkasMom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:10 AM
Crowned Member

We have so many wild life here and Max is a urine licker or always licking something he is smelling so he gets lepto and Luna. It does not it pains me to give him any vaccines chihuahua.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:27 AM
Elite Member

I've heard rabbits can spread it too. Minneapolis has so many rabbits running around, so I've elected to vaccinate against it since my dog was old enough for the shot.

We've had cases locally. it goes without saying I was glad I'd taken the precaution.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Definitely getting Lepto done before spring. He received it when we first got him in Aug 2015 and was fine but i don't think we've done it since.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 05:44 PM
Crowned Member

and now it is hitting the drier climate, Phoenix.
Dozens of Phoenix-area dogs diagnosed with rare deadly disease | 12NEWS.com

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 06:38 PM

Wow its almost everywhere then, we were only going to do Rabies this year (because its required here every year) and Lepto, skipping Lyme (we use tick control for the season and get the blood test every year as well as the Snap for heartworms) and off topic a bit is there anything else recommended for a yearly vac? He's 2.5 year old and had all his Vaccinations since he was 8 weeks old.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 06:50 PM
Crowned Member

I don't give it. It doesn't last a whole year. A friend of mine took two puppies to the vet for the shop, and put them back in the car for a 5-minute ride home. She went to the back to get them out, and one was fine, the other was dead. That scares me more than the disease does. If the dog gets sick, you can give them antibiotics. But if the dog dies from trying to prevent it, you just feel awful. For a while, my vet was making me sign a paper saying I refused the shot. Now they don't.

With the river behind me, rats do come up, and I poison them, but the dogs do get one now and again. Thankfully, they just kill and do not try to eat them. Evenso, that's scary too.

Quinnie is going in on Thursday for her boosters. What to do?

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Hepzibah
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 06:58 PM
Crowned Member

Puppies should not be given the lepto vaccine, and smaller breeds are the ones that are at risk with it because it, for some reason, is not dosed to weight.
Why would you poison rats that your dogs may kill when they "come up"? I would not ever put poison anywhere that something else can get to or be exposed to.
I will vax my dogs for Lepto soon. Treatment when exposed is more than just 'giving antibiotics'. It can run several thousands of dollars to get a dog through it(been there, done that).
The symptoms seldom show until the dog is in kidney failure. By then antibiotics may be too late and kidney damage is often permanent or fatal.
jaudlee likes this.

Jane~
Kept by

and

Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15

Last edited by onyx'girl; 02-17-2017 at 07:02 PM.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 07:53 PM
Knighted Member

To add to Jane's point on treatment, the early symptoms can be vague -- lethargy and loss of appetite, for example. Maybe diarrhea. Most people don't go to the vet the instant a dog skips a meal, seems tired, or has a day of diarrhea -- it would be perfectly normal to decide to watch the dog for a day or so to see if those minor symptoms resolve. However, those vague symptoms might be the only warning you get before kidney failure. The window to give antibiotics is short, and it might close before you think the dog needs to go to the vet.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 07:58 PM
Crowned Member

My dog only showed lack of appetite for five days, no diarrhea or vomiting. Not really lethargic. When I took him to the vet on day five(couldn't get in sooner due to weekend) he was already in kidney failure. Two days later while transferred to MSU he was diagnosed with Lepto. It is not something that slowly comes on visually, it is acute. Kidneys always hide the damage til it is too late.
My vet was PO'd at me because I didn't vaccinate and put her staff and property at risk as my dog shed the bacteria while he was there for 24 hours getting fluids til I transferred him to MSU. She then put her staff on ABx to make sure they didn't get it.
It was a huge slap in the face to me. The staff should take precautions regardless, no reason to put them on an ABx. My dog urinated on the property, not in the kennel or clinic. Had they actually tested for Lepto when I brought him in(I requested a lepto test at the call making the appt. for his lack of appetite) they would have saved precious time in protocols.

Jane~
Kept by

and

Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15

Last edited by onyx'girl; 02-17-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page