Folks in the IBD support group :) - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 72Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Folks in the IBD support group :)

So our update is: her biopsy showed no signs of cancer and since we were ruling out lymphoma that is good.

There was really nothing of note on the stomach lining biopsy.

Her duodenum is where he saw the most inflammation on ultrasound and the biopsy was consistent with moderate chronic inflammation. He feels this is where the nausea is comingbfrom, not her stomach.

So he wants to do a round of prednisone to reduce that inflammation while we keep trying to see if re is a diet that will help.

I realized long story that Turkey is still novel for her so I am trying her on THK Keen which he is supportive of.

If that doesn't work then we go to home cooking. So far I don't yet have a standalone freezer and basically just am not prepared to do bulk meat so trying THK first while I get ready and if it works maybe spare myself all the labor of the home cooking. It "looks" more digestible than kibble? And I don't know what kind of additives or chemicals might be in the kibble that could be irritating her but hopefully that stuff is not in THK.

She is still stable since her procedure but her symptoms tend to go in 2 week cycles.

I have ordered her another probiotics and digestive enzyme from Dogs Naturally to go with the rest esp since she just had a month of antibiotics.

She slurped up her honest kitchen with gusts, so we shall see.

That's our news....how are all you other upset tummies doing?
ksotto333, voodoolamb and lalabug like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:06 PM

Glad to hear this good news!! Let me know how THK works. Maybe this is a stupid question but is THK raw?? The things I've read gave me some confusion about that...

My pup is doing well but after our 4-hr car ride he threw up several times that night. I gave him Cerenia and he was better the next day and has been okay since then. Overall he seems to be getting better... I tried feeding him Sojos but he turned his nose up at it. I don't know if I should mix it with his canned food or just let him be. I would like if he would just eat because he wants to eat and likes the taste and not try to hide food in other food.

I gave him a teaspoon of semi-solid coconut oil with a can of food today and I was SHOCKED that he ate it. He played around with it for awhile but finally decided it was edible. He's such a picky eater.

I tried THK gastrointestinal supplement "perfect form" but it has a very strong fennel flavor and I have to hide it in a lot of canned food.

I've been giving him a handful of kibble at night just to leave a snack for him in his bowl but to my surprise he's been eating all of it and seems fine. Fromm adult gold. I thought his skin problems were due to grain but 3 days on 1 cup of kibble with rice/barley/oats and his skin is fine. He's such a mystery. Maybe he has/had a bacterial infection and not IBD? He's got 4 more days of antibiotics. He's also eating the Animal Essentials probiotic/enzyme.

I see a trend of him getting sick less often and when he does get sick, he recovers much more quickly and usually doesn't throw up (except the car ride episode). Prior to the car ride he had gone a full 14 days without puking which is more than he has since Thanksgiving.

My head is a mess, this is all I've thought about for months and I'm finally just not able to even think anymore. Keeping notes has really helped. I would like to feed homemade but I just already feel so overwhelmed as it is and I don't have a freezer big enough to store enough food.
Thecowboysgirl and lalabug like this.
post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:08 PM

There should be an app on your smartphone for entering in pics of your dog's poop and what they ate, what time, what quantity, how their attitude was... haha. IBD tracking in dogs app.
lalabug likes this.

post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liffey View Post
There should be an app on your smartphone for entering in pics of your dog's poop and what they ate, what time, what quantity, how their attitude was... haha. IBD tracking in dogs app.
COMPLETELY AGREE!!!

Ghost - our first WGSD, parvo survivor, 9/30/16
post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
LOL!! We do need a dog poop app.

It is not a stupid question about THK, I could not figure it out either. I emailed the company and found out the meats and I think some of the veggies are "lightly steamed". So no, it really isn't raw.

I have an email from them about it somewhere, I will try to dig it up and post it.

Glad your guy is doing better. I am not sure I know what Sojos is.

When my girl had her first digestive problems, I tried to put her on raw on advice from some people I knew. She would pick at it but usually just wouldn't eat it. Recently she has been a really good eater.
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:36 PM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

Just a thought for those of you who have dogs that are vomiting, especially in the morning before food... ok, this sounds a little nutty, and I was not a believer in this before Bash, but here goes. Have you heard of cooling/warming foods in Traditional Chinese Medicine? Basically, the theory is that certain foods warm the body, while others cool it down. I have found that if I feed Bash a warming food at night, he WILL throw up the next morning. He does fine with cooling foods or neutral foods at night (rabbit is cooling). So he gets warning foods that he does well in in the morning (he does really well with venison) and at night he gets a cooling food (rabbit). After we found a food that didn't give him diarrhea, I was still dealing with the vomiting until we started doing only cooling foods at night. Maybe this will work for some of your dogs?
lalabug likes this.
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:38 PM

Also, another food option to throw out there... Ziwipeak. That, THK and Stella & Chewy's have been my saving grace with my guy.
lalabug likes this.
post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyGhost View Post
Just a thought for those of you who have dogs that are vomiting, especially in the morning before food... ok, this sounds a little nutty, and I was not a believer in this before Bash, but here goes. Have you heard of cooling/warming foods in Traditional Chinese Medicine? Basically, the theory is that certain foods warm the body, while others cool it down. I have found that if I feed Bash a warming food at night, he WILL throw up the next morning. He does fine with cooling foods or neutral foods at night (rabbit is cooling). So he gets warning foods that he does well in in the morning (he does really well with venison) and at night he gets a cooling food (rabbit). After we found a food that didn't give him diarrhea, I was still dealing with the vomiting until we started doing only cooling foods at night. Maybe this will work for some of your dogs?
I like the idea of this but if my dog is throwing up there's a 0% chance he will eat before or after. Seems like throwing up is strongly correlated with complete lack of appetite for even the most enticing foods.
post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
I like the idea of this but if my dog is throwing up there's a 0% chance he will eat before or after. Seems like throwing up is strongly correlated with complete lack of appetite for even the most enticing foods.
I hear you! I was more saying use cooling foods at night as a way to hopefully prevent vomiting in the first place.
post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

What is the deal with ziwi peak, do you soak it or feed it dry?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page