Folks in the IBD support group :) - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 12:08 PM
Crowned Member

The anxiety is a pretty normal reaction to a problem that defies being solved despite all the efforts you have put in. It is very understandable.
voodoolamb and lalabug like this.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:40 PM

Since Lif is seeming more stable lately I've tried to offer him some freeze-dried raw. I've tried Grandma Lucy's and Sojos. Only Sojos lamb (they don't have samples). And Grandma Lucy's like... I don't even know how many. Maybe 5 different ones. I think pork, chicken, lamb, fish, and rabbit. He refuses ALL of them. Not even remotely interested. I did get him to eat like a few tablespoons of the Sojos but only when lots of coconut oil is mixed in, and then he only did it once, he won't be fooled again.

He won't eat any of them even mixed with canned food. Or coconut oil. Or with cheese on top.

What the **** do I feed this dog?!?!! I have samples of THK coming - I think two are chicken and one is turkey. But from his record so far, he will probably not be impressed.

He likes canned food and he likes Fromm kibble, but I think the kibble makes his poops too soft and too large an amount. Also he's been itchier the last couple of days and he's had a handful of kibble in the evenings.

I can't afford to keep feeding him canned food and I think it's not that good for them. If he won't eat THK I guess I have to try home-made? It's daunting, he's 80lb, my freezer isn't that big. I guess I could try the frozen commercial raw but it's sooooo expensive and I really do not want to feed him a diet that has to be thawed out every time. What if I want to take him traveling? I can't take 10lb of frozen meat with me! Help!!

Here are some pics of him choosing canned Blue Buffalo over the freeze-dried fancy stuff.. ugh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16777139_10154301082231088_1137133392_o.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	408785   Click image for larger version

Name:	16804622_10154301082116088_305532508_o.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	408793  
post #33 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:58 PM

Folks in the IBD support group :)

Aww sweet Liffey! He's a connoisseur of picky eating LOL!
Really really hope he ends up liking THK!! Keep us updated when he tries it out! You're already further along in the food hunt than me so keep the faith - I know it's frustrating.

He's a cutie! I love that he has cream on his ears - Ghost does too. ❤️

Ghost - our first WGSD, parvo survivor, 9/30/16

post #34 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:03 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liffey View Post

What the **** do I feed this dog?!?!!
I'll bet you he would eat Ziwi Beef!

The tripe in there will peak his appetite! Add a little warm water, let it set for a few minutes and then offer it to him. the soft little squares are great to use as treats!

I'm a total raw feeder and just used this on our 3 week vacation. It was fantastic.

It would be worth $18 it to purchase a 1 lb. bag and try it.

Also, we just change over my Grand Dog to this and his itching has improved immensely.....ONE protein only!

Here is the info:
ZIWI PEAK:
"Air Dried Food"

ZiwiPeak Cuisine
(condensed info)
ZiwiPeak pet food is a complete, natural balanced real-meat diet prepared with care in New Zealand. All of our natural ingredients are sourced from the green, free range farms and blue, pristine oceans of New Zealand. The twin stage process eliminates pathogenic bacteria, such as e.coli, salmonella and listeria, while protecting the natural nutrition of our ingredients. As a further safety step, our products are mandatory tested and only released for sale after approval by the New Zealand government's regulatory authorities.
Air-drying is a technique that has been used for centuries to naturally preserve meats. Our modern method stays true to this artisan approach, while eliminating the need for artificial preservatives, salts, sugars or glycerines. Our slow, gentle, twin-stage air-drying process crafts a food that is as nutrient-dense and digestible as a completely raw diet but safe, clean to handle and can store for up to 21 months.

Example:
Beef: A complete, balance diet of ranch raised beef meat and organs, this protein rich meal features delicious red meat and nutrient dense organs. It also includes New Zealand green-lipped mussels, a natural source of chondroitin for joint support, and herbs, vitamins and minerals, making it suitable for all breeds and life stages.

Beef ingredients - Beef Meat (min 58%), Liver, Lung, Tripe (min 32%); Green-lipped Mussel (min 3%); Lecithin; Chicory Inulin; Dried Kelp; Parsley. Naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols; Vitamins: Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Hydrochloride; Chelated Minerals: Iron amino acid complex, Copper amino acid complex, Manganese amino acid complex, Zinc amino acid complex, Selenium Yeast, Potassium Bicarbonate, Calcium CarbonateCalories - 2227 Kcal/lb
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min) 38%
Crude Fat (min) 35%
Crude Fiber (max) 1.0%
Moisture (max) 13%
Ash (max) 7%
Calcium 1.83%
Phosphorus 1.29%

An 11 pound bag will last a 70 pound dog approximately 20 days.

Price is $142.00 but if you get it on the "auto shipped" program the price goes down to $128.00 for 11 pounds at Only Natural Pet: ZiwiPeak Daily Cuisine Grain-Free Air-Dried Dog Food
also at chewy.com

There is a feeding calculator at the bottom of this page; Our Ingredients | ZiwiPeak

Moms
lalabug likes this.
post #35 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:03 PM

And I have to laugh because I swear if I hadn't come across a lot of other posts from people with black/tans and sables having these issues I'd really wonder if this is a white dog problem LOL!!! Can you tell my mind is clearly wired to rule out all possibilities or what...

Ghost - our first WGSD, parvo survivor, 9/30/16
post #36 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post
I'll bet you he would eat Ziwi Beef!

The tripe in there will peak his appetite! Add a little warm water, let it set for a few minutes and then offer it to him. the soft little squares are great to use as treats!

I'm a total raw feeder and just used this on our 3 week vacation. It was fantastic.

It would be worth $18 it to purchase a 1 lb. bag and try it.

Also, we just change over my Grand Dog to this and his itching has improved immensely.....ONE protein only!

Here is the info:
ZIWI PEAK:
"Air Dried Food"

ZiwiPeak Cuisine
(condensed info)
ZiwiPeak pet food is a complete, natural balanced real-meat diet prepared with care in New Zealand. All of our natural ingredients are sourced from the green, free range farms and blue, pristine oceans of New Zealand. The twin stage process eliminates pathogenic bacteria, such as e.coli, salmonella and listeria, while protecting the natural nutrition of our ingredients. As a further safety step, our products are mandatory tested and only released for sale after approval by the New Zealand government's regulatory authorities.
Air-drying is a technique that has been used for centuries to naturally preserve meats. Our modern method stays true to this artisan approach, while eliminating the need for artificial preservatives, salts, sugars or glycerines. Our slow, gentle, twin-stage air-drying process crafts a food that is as nutrient-dense and digestible as a completely raw diet but safe, clean to handle and can store for up to 21 months.

Example:
Beef: A complete, balance diet of ranch raised beef meat and organs, this protein rich meal features delicious red meat and nutrient dense organs. It also includes New Zealand green-lipped mussels, a natural source of chondroitin for joint support, and herbs, vitamins and minerals, making it suitable for all breeds and life stages.

Beef ingredients - Beef Meat (min 58%), Liver, Lung, Tripe (min 32%); Green-lipped Mussel (min 3%); Lecithin; Chicory Inulin; Dried Kelp; Parsley. Naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols; Vitamins: Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Hydrochloride; Chelated Minerals: Iron amino acid complex, Copper amino acid complex, Manganese amino acid complex, Zinc amino acid complex, Selenium Yeast, Potassium Bicarbonate, Calcium CarbonateCalories - 2227 Kcal/lb
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min) 38%
Crude Fat (min) 35%
Crude Fiber (max) 1.0%
Moisture (max) 13%
Ash (max) 7%
Calcium 1.83%
Phosphorus 1.29%

An 11 pound bag will last a 70 pound dog approximately 20 days.

Price is $142.00 but if you get it on the "auto shipped" program the price goes down to $128.00 for 11 pounds at Only Natural Pet: ZiwiPeak Daily Cuisine Grain-Free Air-Dried Dog Food
also at chewy.com

There is a feeding calculator at the bottom of this page; Our Ingredients | ZiwiPeak

Moms

I'll email them and ask if they do free samples. I must have spent over $100 so far in foods my dog will not eat. Does anyone want a 99% full 2lb bag of Sojos lamb? lol

I also don't like the idea of having to get food from NZ. Other side of the world when we have cows here. Their food calculator says he requires almost 2000 calories per day. I don't think so! That would be 5 cups per day. Probably astronomically expensive. I'm a broke student and will be for a long time. $300 a month to feed my dog is out of control, I could do homemade for cheaper!
lalabug likes this.
post #37 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:51 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
I'll email them and ask if they do free samples. I must have spent over $100 so far in foods my dog will not eat. Does anyone want a 99% full 2lb bag of Sojos lamb? lol

I also don't like the idea of having to get food from NZ. Other side of the world when we have cows here. Their food calculator says he requires almost 2000 calories per day. I don't think so! That would be 5 cups per day. Probably astronomically expensive. I'm a broke student and will be for a long time. $300 a month to feed my dog is out of control, I could do homemade for cheaper!

The measuring cup that comes in the package is a 1/2 cup, not 1 regular cup. There are 88 - 1/2 measuring cups in the 11 pound bag.

I've talked with Sharon Durham of Ziwi on the phone and via email....very helpful.

Moms
lalabug likes this.
post #38 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post
The measuring cup that comes in the package is a 1/2 cup, not 1 regular cup. There are 88 - 1/2 measuring cups in the 11 pound bag.

I've talked with Sharon Durham of Ziwi on the phone and via email....very helpful.

Moms
Oh, that's a relief. They're sending me some free samples!
post #39 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Well for the record it's my black and tan dog who has the stomach problems, my white is pretty good.

We got deep snow and he has been running delightedly thru chest deep snow and suddenly is a rack of ribs.

I just ordered him some ziwipeak beef since it is so dense I am hoping he can get some easy calories that he likes.

I put him back up to 4 cups a day of the Victor plus THK or canned.

His only problem is eating enough to keep weight without getting soft stools from eating too much...

the struggle is real lol
voodoolamb and lalabug like this.
post #40 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:02 PM
Elite Member

Quote:

Something to keep in mind is that Ziwipeak is all 100% grass fed lamb and beef. New Zealand also has much much stricter policies on the sale of GMOs (so their cattle don't even get supplemented with gmo hay during the winter). AND NZ has significantly less air and water pollution than we do. All leading to much cleaner meat. When I broke down the numbers, ziwipeak ended up being cheaper than doing homemade with grass fed meat for me. I'm in the city so my sources for grass fed meat is limited. It is still spendy though. To feed ziwi exclusively to my boy comes to $200 a month or there abouts.

You can do home made with regular meat cheaper though :P
lalabug likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page