Folks in the IBD support group :) - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:14 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
Wow...

What happens when he is alone? Are you able to be with him all the time?

No matter how it turns out, no one could say you didn't try everything on earth to help him. Hats off to you, I can't imagine how stressful that must be.
I am fortunate enough to work from home. So he spends very little time alone. 3 of the 4 he has had since using oc have happened either while I was asleep or running an errand without him.
Thecowboysgirl and lalabug like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Be sure you are taking good care of yourself too @voodoolamb
voodoolamb and lalabug like this.
post #23 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:04 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
Be sure you are taking good care of yourself too @voodoolamb
I'll try! lol
lalabug likes this.

post #24 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 12:16 PM

I just ordered some samples of THK. Since my dog won't eat Sojos or Grandma Lucy's (granted, I haven't tried very hard, but if he turns his nose up at it, chances are it's a no-go). How hard is it to use the pre-mix and add your own meat? I haven't eaten meat for years and have no idea what I would get, where I would get it, or how to cook it (I think I would start with cooked, I'm still sketched out with raw with a dog with intestinal troubles already).

I fed him kibble for the last 3 nights in a row, just a cup around 11pm and I haven't seen a difference, so maybe kibble isn't the problem. I'm also thinking maybe IBD isn't the problem since he had little red dots on his belly and extra itching while he was sick(er)... So maybe a bacterial infection that the antibiotics are finally kicking? He has a few days left on it. He's had solid poops for awhile now. Sometimes I can't pick all of it up but it always either ends or starts with solid logs, if not the whole thing. And the color is turning more brown from pasty green. I'm so confused.

I'm currently feeding Blue Buffalo and Wild Calling canned food but it's RIDICULOUSLY expensive to feed him 4-5 cans a day at $2.80 per can. I'm desperate to find a food he can eat that's not going to cost that much, hence THK samples. I want to stay away from kibble as the main bulk of his meals but he does really like the Fromm and seems to be handling a small amount fine. It's also not grain-free (rice, oats, barley) so maybe grains also aren't the problem???

What the **** dog. I'm just thankful he seems to be overall feeling good and any of his bad days are triggered by 4 hour car rides. Now I need to get him on a food that he will do well with long-term and I can afford to feed him. I want to keep it under $5/day if possible... He's been pooping twice a day at pretty regular times and that makes me oh so happy!

@voodoolamb I have followed your story, read all of your posts and threads about your dog and I am truly impressed by your persistence and thoroughness in dealing with your dog's problems. A lot of people would have given up and not even bothered to learn about GABA and glutamate or go out on limbs and try new things for their dog. So I really commend you for that!! And I hope that it pays off and you find a permanent solution that works well for you guys.
post #25 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:28 PM
Crowned Member

I stated reading this thread. The cowboys girl so Glad the biopsy came back negative. You guys are all going through so much to help your dogs get better. I admire all your dedication. I have no info just wanted to say my thoughts and prayers are with you guys and your pups. I know some are older but all dogs are all pups at heart.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
post #26 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:56 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liffey View Post
I just ordered some samples of THK. Since my dog won't eat Sojos or Grandma Lucy's (granted, I haven't tried very hard, but if he turns his nose up at it, chances are it's a no-go). How hard is it to use the pre-mix and add your own meat? I haven't eaten meat for years and have no idea what I would get, where I would get it, or how to cook it (I think I would start with cooked, I'm still sketched out with raw with a dog with intestinal troubles already).

I fed him kibble for the last 3 nights in a row, just a cup around 11pm and I haven't seen a difference, so maybe kibble isn't the problem. I'm also thinking maybe IBD isn't the problem since he had little red dots on his belly and extra itching while he was sick(er)... So maybe a bacterial infection that the antibiotics are finally kicking? He has a few days left on it. He's had solid poops for awhile now. Sometimes I can't pick all of it up but it always either ends or starts with solid logs, if not the whole thing. And the color is turning more brown from pasty green. I'm so confused.

I'm currently feeding Blue Buffalo and Wild Calling canned food but it's RIDICULOUSLY expensive to feed him 4-5 cans a day at $2.80 per can. I'm desperate to find a food he can eat that's not going to cost that much, hence THK samples. I want to stay away from kibble as the main bulk of his meals but he does really like the Fromm and seems to be handling a small amount fine. It's also not grain-free (rice, oats, barley) so maybe grains also aren't the problem???

What the **** dog. I'm just thankful he seems to be overall feeling good and any of his bad days are triggered by 4 hour car rides. Now I need to get him on a food that he will do well with long-term and I can afford to feed him. I want to keep it under $5/day if possible... He's been pooping twice a day at pretty regular times and that makes me oh so happy!

@voodoolamb I have followed your story, read all of your posts and threads about your dog and I am truly impressed by your persistence and thoroughness in dealing with your dog's problems. A lot of people would have given up and not even bothered to learn about GABA and glutamate or go out on limbs and try new things for their dog. So I really commend you for that!! And I hope that it pays off and you find a permanent solution that works well for you guys.
Using the base mix with your own meat is incredibly easy. The base mix box tells you exactly how much meat to use with how much base mix, which is a good starting point. I use more meat and less base mix for my dogs that are on it, but I use a raw blend that has an 80/10/5/5 mix or meat/bone/liver/other organs, so I'm not concerned they are not getting a balanced diet.

In my experience, raw meat is actually tolerated better than cooked meat, but everyone needs to do what they feel comfortable with. If you want to cook the meat, I would suggest boiling it and draining the excess fat off. You can use ground turkey, ground chicken, or ground beef for this. That would probably be the cheapest.
lalabug likes this.
post #27 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyGhost View Post
Using the base mix with your own meat is incredibly easy. The base mix box tells you exactly how much meat to use with how much base mix, which is a good starting point. I use more meat and less base mix for my dogs that are on it, but I use a raw blend that has an 80/10/5/5 mix or meat/bone/liver/other organs, so I'm not concerned they are not getting a balanced diet.

In my experience, raw meat is actually tolerated better than cooked meat, but everyone needs to do what they feel comfortable with. If you want to cook the meat, I would suggest boiling it and draining the excess fat off. You can use ground turkey, ground chicken, or ground beef for this. That would probably be the cheapest.
Thanks! Where did you find the 80/10/5/5 mix?
post #28 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 02:56 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liffey View Post
Thanks! Where did you find the 80/10/5/5 mix?
I either make it myself, or I order from My Pet Carnivore. It's cheaper to make it yourself, but with MPC, everything is ground up which might be the better way to go with a dog with GI issues. For my own guy with GI issues, MPC did not work, except for the alpaca. But he has very severe food intolerances to most proteins out there...
post #29 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:29 AM

Just to throw in an update - we have stopped the fortiflora and will be trying some feed-sentials and sunday sundae moving forward, so FX (fingers crossed) that it will help us! I'm still looking into some of the raw options, I just like to have my head wrapped around things like this before jumping all in - and I need to educate myself before we start any of that out. @Liffey really hoping THK products work for y'all. I like the look of a lot of their items!

We went Wednesday and Thursday with 'normal' poops, then a crate/semi-diarrhea accident early this morning. Every time I look at my dog I almost tear up because I just want her to be well, and it's maddening that she literally IS well in every other aspect and is in fact still gaining weight. And every time we go out to potty it's like a mini-anxiety attack just waiting to see what comes out - and not to mention scouring my yard for stools and hosing it down on a daily basis because if not, her coprophagia is crazy. To the point I've actually seen her licking at the bottom of one of my boots by the back door after I had stepped in it. Which is also just one of the many symptoms/reasons we did the EPI/SIBO bloodwork. I hate feeling like this every day. What sane person has panic attacks while they are waiting for their dog to poop?? It's just unnerving.
@Springbrz and @Daisy&Lucky'sMom thank you all for the kind words.

Ghost - our first WGSD, parvo survivor, 9/30/16
post #30 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I know what you mean about worrying over what is going to come out lalabug. Try not to worry too much, as you said she seems fine otherwise and is gaining weight and these are good signs.

You'll get to the bottom of it
lalabug likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page