diarrhea frequency - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

diarrhea frequency

Just wondering how often everyones dogs experience diarrhea.

My 8 1/2 month old has had diarrhea about 3x the past 2 months. I have a 5 1/2 year old that has always had on and off poop issues....except when we fed her raw. Her poop was great! Maybe one day we will go back to it but not at the moment.

I know GSDs can have sensitive stomaches, so just wondering what is within "normal" amounts of loose poop.

Last time my puppy had diarrhea he did see the vet and had stool sample done. Nothing unusual showed up and after a day or so of bland diet, he was back to normal.

Kathy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sherman-GSD 5/27/16
Stella-GSD 6/17/11
Ruben-Newfie/? mix 7/2003-5/25/16 a dog with a big heart, who was always there for me...miss you my old man

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 02:14 PM

I would venture to say every dog will have a different "normal" when it comes to stomach issues or loose poop. If your pup is healthy otherwise and your tests at vet showed no parasites, then hopefully it's just a bout of random upset stomach and loose stool. If it consistently returns, then I'd worry.

Ghost - our first WGSD, parvo survivor, 9/30/16
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I was just wondering if it was a shepherd thing. I've had dogs my whole life and I just don't recall having so much loose poop with any besides the GSDs. I think I can count on one hand the diarrhea incidents with my other dogs but my 2 GSDs are a whole other story. It just seems like they are a lot more sensitive to what they eat than any other breed I have owned. I had one mutt who used to chow down in the cat litter box and never so much as farted!

Kathy

Sherman-GSD 5/27/16
Stella-GSD 6/17/11
Ruben-Newfie/? mix 7/2003-5/25/16 a dog with a big heart, who was always there for me...miss you my old man

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 12:54 AM

I have heard that labs/goldens have iron stomachs and shepherd breeds are much more sensitive. One interesting thing that I read somewhere was that the longer the dog's digestive tract, the more sensitive they will seem to be because there is more opportunity for things to mess up their system. I'm not sure if this is the whole story but I definitely have heard anecdotal evidence for GSDs being quite sensitive with their GI issues and also skin.

I had a border collie for almost 16 years who, at about 10 years old, suddenly could not tolerate chicken and I think that was the only time in her life she ever had diarrhea. My boyfriend's dad's dog is a golden retriever rescued from the streets of Turkey and he regularly eats and poops out bits of various nylon leashes and toys.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 02:17 PM
Elite Member

I don't know maybe it's just me but I don't consider diarrhea and loose or pudding stools not to be the same thing. I get the feeling many people consider the terms interchangeable. I personally do not. IMO diarrhea is frequent bouts (3x or more) of watery/loose stool in one day with urgency. If it's one or two watery/loose pudding stool in a day I don't consider that diarrhea. I consider that loose stools. Especially if it isn't consistent. IE: one poop is loose and the next is solid and the next is soft poorly formed and there is no urgency.

Frequent watery stools (diarrhea) lasting more than one day is usually a sign of greater illness. Be it viral, bacterial, parasites, parvo, EPI or sibo etc.

Reacurring or occasional bouts of soft pudding stools (loose stools with no urgency) and the occasional watery stool mixed with normal stools is usually less serious in most cases. More indicative of parasites, IBD, stress colitis, food sensitivities, ate something they shouldn't have, etc.

That said: yes my dog has a very sensitive stomach. Anything can set off loose stools for her. I don't worry anymore (after nearly 4 years) unless the bouts last more then a few day. Obviously if I see blood, heavy mucus or is accompanied by any vomiting, lethargy and or fever then it's off to the vet.

I can say that our GSD is the first dog I have ever had that such issues on a regular basis. All of our dogs of past almost never had diarrhea or loose stools and eat everything and anything.

Ziva 03.07.2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page