Lick Granuloma - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Lick Granuloma

Hi,
Has anyone on here successfully treated lick granuloma? My shepherd Cash has one on his leg and I have been treating it for a while. He has had cortisone shots, antibiotics, wrapped, creams and now I cone him at night and I am home off work for a few months and for the past month I have only left the home 3 times without someone here. Usually my husband gets home from work and then I leave to get out of the house and he watches him. He is coned while I am in the shower and at night and also blocked so cant leave the bedroom. I have changed his diet, per vet visits and he eats grain free, missing link, broccoli, and joint supplements. He is not anxious. Anyways I put the cone on him which is the King cloud and put him in his kennel and was gone for 45 minutes and he found a way to get a few licks in a it started bleeding again. It was almost healed and the spot is small only the size of a dime but I am getting very frustrated. Anything that anyone has done to help would be greatly appreciated or anything they have put on it to stop the licking. I have put bitter spray, cortisone sprays, numeral hot spots and so many I cannot think of. He goes back to the vet in a week and just wondering if anyone did laser therapy and if that helped.

~~~Cathy~~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 09:29 AM

Every fall my senior girl starts messing with her old lick granuloma. I use a sock with a slight cuff on it (not tight) and cut the bottom of the sock off. Then I put 2-3 holes at the top where the cuff is, and string a boot lace through. I put the sock on, (cuff on top)and tie the boot lace over her shoulder. We call it her sock suspender
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Great Idea, I was thinking about something like that. Thanks I will try that.

~~~Cathy~~~

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:36 AM
Crowned Member

My 13 year old started licking raw spots over the joint area - we tried Neurotin/Gabupentin which is for nerve pain...and treated spots as well....they healed up and she has been good for nearly a year now...will lick a little once in a while but it seems the Gabupentin stopped it so it must have been the aching that caused it to start

Lee

Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Lynx, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, Danger RH & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks Lee for responding. Is that over the counter or prescription?

~~~Cathy~~~
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 12:08 PM
Crowned Member

Gabapentin is prescription. I had a rescue Dobe that had a lick granuloma when I got her. She was 13, and who knows how long she had it. We never could get it to clear up. I wish I could've tried Gabapentin for her.

~ Diane ~

SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't
CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
RUSSELL ..... Lauremi's Paix
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page