Tiger, my male 12 month old german shepherd dog is not gaining weight? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Magwart

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

Tiger, my male 12 month old german shepherd dog is not gaining weight?

Tiger is a pure breed german shepherd here in India.
He closely followed the ideal weight chart upto 7 months and he also had a good growth but he seems to have almost stopped growing in height 8 months onwards which I gradually accepted as he is almost within standards for height(at withers).

The doctor told me he should now begin to put up some extra weight as he would develop muscles and stuff upto 1.5-2 y of age.
He is being fed Farmina ancestral grain (best dog food available in Indian market) maxi food 300 grams a day(divided into 2 meals) with 1 egg white and few dog treats per day.
He is given 150 g chicken twice a week mixed with rice.
He is devoid of worms and diseases.
He was 35 kg at 10 months and is 32 kg now at 12 months.
Why did he loose 3 kgs?
When will he gain bulk?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 10:22 AM

I'm not a weight expert but I'd say 35kg/77lbs at 10 months or 32kg/70lbs at 12 months isn't bad. If he is healthy and sound, I wouldn't worry about wanting him to 'bulk' up.
Do you know any info about his parents weight? As to why he lost a few kg/lbs, only you can observe your dogs health and habits. Has he been experiencing GI issues or any behavior suggesting he could be ill?

Ghost - our first WGSD, parvo survivor, 9/30/16
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 10:27 AM

Our first Shepherd didn't finish filling out until after 2. In fact, she was only 70 something pounds at 2 and topped out at 104. Wven at 104 she wasn't fat at all, but the vet wanted us to get her to 100 so we didn't have to give 2 heartworm pills. A lot of times they're just skinny like teenagers.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 11:25 AM
Crowned Member

Adolescent males often are very lean as they grow -- people constantly worry that their dog is too thin....when they've got a healthy dog that's just going through growth spurts.

Something really interesting happens to the boys between 2-3 y.o.--their deep chest fills out, they bulk up and get their adult shape. I've noticed my males really change from looking like youngsters to looking like serious dogs about that time. Right in the middle of that year, you look at your dog one day and realize it's all grown up!
lalabug likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 11:28 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Adolescent males often are very lean as they grow -- people constantly worry that their dog is too thin....when they've got a healthy dog that's just going through growth spurts.

Something really interesting happens to the boys between 2-3 y.o.--their deep chest fills out, they bulk up and get their adult shape. I've noticed my males really change from looking like youngsters to looking like serious dogs about that time. Right in the middle of that year, you look at your dog one day and realize it's all grown up!
Ain't that the truth. Apollo will be three(can't believe that) and he is still super thin, but has definitely got a more serious look about him. And I will tell you that he may be thin, but he is super strong and fast.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 11:32 AM

That doesn't sound abnormal. It takes awhile. My GSD didn't really fill out fully until around 3 years old. He's still quite narrow and lean but tops out around 80lb. If your dog is eating and healthy and has energy and moves around freely I wouldn't worry about it!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 12:19 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post

This was my experience with Newlie as well. He is tall, anyway, and was all legs when we first got him at around 1 or 2 years old. Over the next year or so, he developed a deep, broad chest and really got some heft to him.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 02:26 PM
Master Member

Asher (my male GSD) just turned 2 years old in December and weighs about 68-70 lbs (around 31-32 kg). He is a bit on the thin side, but that's okay with me, I'd prefer him to be lean. It's better on their joints. Interestingly people always think he is huge. One person insisted that he must be part malamute because he is so big, despite the fact that he is actually an average size GSD and looks nothing like a malamute. I wouldn't worry about your boy if he seems otherwise healthy. I think the general rule is you should be able to see a tuck in your dog's sides when looking at him from above, and be able to see the last rib or two. I expect your boy may bulk up a bit in the next year or two. Unless he is a rack of ribs, I wouldn't try to fatten him up just to have a heavier dog. It's actually healthier, I think, for them to be a bit on the thinner side.

Last edited by sebrench; 02-10-2017 at 02:32 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 05:42 PM

I agree with others, it sounds like he's just on the lighter end of the spectrum. I had the opposite concerns with my GSD at 8 months and 10 months when he weighed in a 92 and 100 lbs respectively. I thought I was feeding him TOO much, even though I was going by the bag and limiting treats to training. Vet said his weight was fine for his size.

He's about to turn 1 and he's at 100 lbs still. I can still feel his ribs and back bone, which is normal. I have no idea where his weight is. He goes down a few one week. Up a few the next. But constantly hovers at 100.

I'd only worry if he consistently lost weight or registered at a low weight for his age and breed. If he gets lethargic, sick, or shows other symptoms, then worry. But as of now, he's just at the lower end of the spectrum.

I never thought I'd own a German Shepherd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page