testing for EPI and/or SIBO - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

@Liffey I have a "poop journal" on my phone also. LOL
How are you easing your dog's GI issues now that you had negatives on the blood work?

Ghost - our first WGSD, parvo survivor, 9/30/16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 08:38 PM
Crowned Member

I was recently divorced and didn't have a lot of money.

My vet and I tested my dog for EPI by giving him enzymes. His feces improved and he started gaining weight immediately. Voila, EPI. 5 years later and he's still never been formally tested, but he gets enzymes with his food, his poops are solid, and he's in prime condition. If he happens to sneak something without enzymes, he gets diarrhea.
lalabug likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 08:53 PM
Crowned Member

You have to fast the dog to get the epi bloodwork. I did have a dog that tested positive, and with the enzymes she gained back her weight. She was between 18 months and 2 and started dropping weight terribly. Before we got her diagnosed and back on track she was down to 49 pounds, and gaunt. But we got her back up to 70 with the enzymes. I took her in several times before we tried the epi test.

She was low on vitamin B and I gave those injections at home. Not hard. She did not have SIBO, though they go together I've heard. If the puppy is not losing weight, I would definitely try everything else first like giardia, and coccidia.

Also, some kibbles can be problematic. Some dogs do better on a mid-range kibble than they do on top shelf kibble. And vice-versa. You don't want to try to change too many times. When Dubya did not seem to do well on the kibble, I looked at the main incredients, this was years ago, and I went from chicken and corn, to lamb and rice. It worked for him. Dogs can be intolerant of meat sources as well as grains/fillers. What we did with Cujo was go with Duck and potato -- limited ingredient diet. Since his issue was not food-related, it did no good. But it is worth a try. The poop eating can be a bad habit, but it can also be the dog's body craving some nutrient that he is low on and senses undigested in the feces.

Good luck.
lalabug likes this.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Hepzibah

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

@Emoore I understand. We have already spent a pretty penny trying to figure out what's going on and I know there's more to come. What enzymes do you give?
@selzer we are starting her fast at 10pm. She goes in tomorrow morning. And as far as switching her food again, I feel like I might wait until we get the blood tests back - and I've decided on a good quality LID food someone from this forum suggested. Her giardia was negative again today for the third time. Sigh....

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalabug View Post
@Liffey I have a "poop journal" on my phone also. LOL
How are you easing your dog's GI issues now that you had negatives on the blood work?
I switched him to canned food but that was mostly because he had very little appetite and canned food is enticing... I'm still working on it, honestly. I want to get him off canned because It's REALLY expensive. Right now he eats 4 cans a day and that's not even enough. He's 78lb and should be about 80. I add boiled white potato or sweet potato, and he eats a scrambled egg every so often. He's still on Baytril for another 10 days but he gets a probiotic in the morning. It's a work in progress. I want to feed him freeze-dried raw but I'm not sure how he'll handle it. I have a bag of Sojos waiting to try as soon as I get home from my parents' place for the weekend so I can let you know how he handles that. I just ordered Perfect Form from THK just in hopes that if he has IBD (which it's looking like) it will soothe his GI system.

He was doing great for 8 days and then had a day of not eating, lethargy, and loud tummy noises. But for whatever reason was much better the next day and didn't throw up or have diarrhea. I'm hoping it's just a matter of getting his diet right. I think that low-fat foods might help. Feel free to PM me if you want to bounce ideas around.

There is also a possibility that he ate a contaminated bag of Taste of the Wild. I met this guy randomly in a parking lot with his GSD and said his dog got sick from that food and was sick for 3 months (!!!) but is fine now. Since my dog never had a problem and then all of a sudden was really acutely sick for 2 weeks and lost 8lb but things seem to be tapering off now, 2 months later, it could have been that? There have been quite a few complaints about that food lately in the area where I live. Ugh... It's all I think about these days.
lalabug likes this.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

@Liffey I remember all of that from following your other post last month - I really hope we can both get some answers soon!! Ghost is at the vet again today. Started her fast last night and she is having the blood work done this morning. I decided to go with the bundle and do the panel for both the EPI and the SIBO, figured might as well knock it out since she's already there and we are already spending the money. I am really hoping that everything is negative and maybe then we can just focus 100% on diet being the culprit next. There's got to be a light at the end of this poop tunnel!
I would love to hear how you and your boy end up liking THK and if Perfect form works out for you. I have been wanting to try it also, just focusing on these other things first. And I'm right there with ya... it's all I think about too.
Liffey likes this.

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 12:28 PM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

My boy had several negative giardia tests, too... just something to think about. I ended up having to take a really, um... "fresh and symptomatic " sample in, and send it off for the ELISA test. Then of course we were given metronidazole and that just kind of made everything much worse for a while. That's another story for another time, haha. But if your puppy ever does test positive for giardia, I would strongly suggest Panacur instead of metro. We did seven days on, then seven days off, then another course of seven days to make sure all of it was gone. But I would just do what you're doing, get all the tests done, so you can have as many definitive answers as possible all at once. We did a diarrhea panel at the same time we did the EPI, folate/cobalamin tests just so we could have more answers.

I had to laugh because I too kept a poop diary for my boy. It was ridiculous. It got even more detailed once I switched to raw and started doing an elimination diet. I do not miss those days. I feel for you... it's incredibly frustrating.

I have used THK's Perfect Form on my boy with great success, fyi. I always have it on hand.
lalabug likes this.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

@GypsyGhost thank you so much for the suggestions! I feel like anyone else would think I'm a little too OCD about trying to figure it out or just plain weird. I can't imagine how I would be reacting to all this if she was actively losing a bunch of weight or lethargic or worse... The fact that she still seems happy, playful, and fairly healthy in all other aspects other than this constant diarrhea is the thing that I keep holding onto!! I love this dog and I am determined to get to the bottom of this.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Just updating this thread in case anyone else may have same issues and reads this.
Had the bloodwork done today and sent off for EPI/SIBO. Vet says we should get results by Monday or Tuesday at the latest.
Did another direct float - this is the third one and again, was negative for giardia and the rest. Whatever that "rare" tapeworm was had also cleared up.
Vet sent us home with Panacur - said that whipworm can be hard to detect on fecals. And though her diarrhea has never been bloody... since we are working on crossing things off our "list", that it couldn't hurt just to be sure.
We are going to continue the probiotics for now, and talk enzymes and whatever else after seeing the blood panel results.

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Also just to add... when I picked her up yesterday vet tech said she did have a slightly formed poop but very soft. Then when I picked her up today she told me she had the pudding poop diarrhea twice. So at least they have witnessed it too... hoping we can figure this out soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page