Do these hips look as awful as I think they do? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Do these hips look as awful as I think they do?

Hi there,

quick question. I am looking into getting a 2nd dog and I've been talking to a breeder for a while. Not GSD ones, but another shepherd breed. A while ago he sent me X-rays and told me his dog didn't get pregnant and we'd have to wait for the next heat. So we did. But - while he assured me the parents have been tested for all health issues - I think the xray of the bitch tell otherwise. My non-expert opinion is that these hips look awful, even though these xrays focus on the stomach and are not properly positioned hip x-rays. The dog is 6 years old in the x-ray and pregnant now.

What is your opinion?

Do these hips look as awful as I think they do?-1472551290123.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 12:01 AM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

While that is not a good X-ray of the hips. Yes, IMHO those hips do not look good at all.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 12:01 AM
Crowned Member

Is the dog hip rated??? The position IS wierd - but those femoral heads look really messy in this picture

Lee

Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Lynx, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, Danger RH & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

I doubt the hips are rated, there is no standard for it where I live. I will def. ask about hip x-rays and see what his answer is. Keep in mind the x-ray was taken to check if the dog was pregnant (which it wasn't at the time) and the hips just happened to be a bit in the picture. So positioning isn't for the hips specifically but from what I understand is the white line at the femoral heads would be Athritis and the socket is really shallow = bad.

I was a bit stupid and put a deposit down to secure a puppy, believing lots of sweet words from this breeder (there are only two breeders of this breed available in my country and at the time I really wanted one from this particular breed). I don't assume I'll get my deposit back... but I don't want to risk getting a puppy with severe HD either. I wasn't very "careful" in choosing the breeder for my first dog and I will not make this mistake again.

I'll try to negotiate and also see what he has to say about his dogs bad hips, as he claims to be the best breeder with the best standard blablabla.

Thank you for your opinions - more are welcome, if there's anything to add!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 05:13 AM
Elite Member

Yikes! What kind of a 'breeder' would use that poor girl for breeding? Run far, run fast.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 07:44 AM
Crowned Member

Those hips are definitely terrible... 😔
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 08:07 AM
Crowned Member

Many unscrupulous German breeders sell their problem and poor quality dogs to foreign buyers....no thought at all about the quality of life for that dog or the puppies they are destined to produce in a land where vet care is far below the standards we have available. This dog does look to have problems, and she will be bred regardless and pass on that problem in very very high probability

Lee
carmspack likes this.

Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Lynx, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, Danger RH & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:15 AM

Yes they look horrible. RUN, Run away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika-Chan View Post
I doubt the hips are rated, there is no standard for it where I live.
You don't happen to live in Japan? I'm only guessing because -Chan is the suffix for dog names here. Whether you do or don't, here's a good blog post on good vs bad breeders in Japan. You can substitute "Japanese dog breed" with any breed and "Japan" with most countries outside of North America and Western Europe.
The Nihon Ken: Good Breeders vs. Bad Breeders

In my opinion, even considering any cultural differences, this guy would count as a "bad breeder" on the basis of knowingly breeding unhealthy dogs. Those hips are obviously arthritic to even the untrained eye. Those x-rays should have put an end to any future breedings.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

@wolfstraum - sad, I thought German breeders were better (it's my home country). Actually when I will get a 2nd dog, I think I'll import it from a good breeder from Germany. I haven't found any good breeder here and I doubt I will.

@Bjax - interesting read and I thought Japan, as a developed country, was better. I'm not from there though (I just like Japan, hence the name). I live in a developing south east asian country. I just don't want to post the name, because I'm a bit paranoid about people googling me lol country starts with T and ends with land.

I will not get a dog from this guy. Thank you everyone.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 01:56 AM
Crowned Member

those hips are horrible.
Not just the femoral heads , Sockets flattened out. And - yes there is more , the bone looks porous - no bone density -
not fed properly

the leg to the bottom of the image looks malformed - curved - and I don't think it is because of positioning.

Poor dog.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page