Do these hips look as awful as I think they do? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:36 AM
Crowned Member

ahhh - I thought you might be in the Pacific Rim......

Feel bad for this female, and the pups she is going to produce....and no, I would not want one either, no matter how nice her pedigree looks....

If you have connections in Germany, yes, get someone to get you a puppy....most breeders are going to send the bottom puppies in a litter abroad....there have been numerous posters here who have been taken by European breeders who promise a far different animal than they ship out....

Is "chan" used in T land the same as in Japan??? Like calling someone "honey" or "sweetie"??? An affectionate honorific to the name????

Lee

Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Lynx, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, Danger RH & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
the leg to the bottom of the image looks malformed - curved - and I don't think it is because of positioning.
I don't think the leg is actually bowed. Just that it is more vertical than the other leg. It probably couldn't be laid flat due to all the arthritis

@Bjax - interesting read and I thought Japan, as a developed country, was better. I'm not from there though (I just like Japan, hence the name). I live in a developing south east asian country. I just don't want to post the name, because I'm a bit paranoid about people googling me lol country starts with T and ends with land.

Yeah animals are not treated very well here, at least not by a Western standard. Animals are very much property to be exploited. Dog fighting is still legal in Shikoku. Go to Okinawa if you want to see a habu (type of venomous snake) fight a mongoose. Live octopi, fish, and shrimp are regularly served as sushi. Various animal cafes are neat, but they are not known for their husbandry standards. The bird of prey ones are the coolest but also the most suspect.

As for dogs, there is a distinct dichotomy between the small cute pet dogs that are often dressed in clothes and generally spoiled and the native dog breeds that are considered livestock. For the small pet type dog, all that matters is that they are cute. Keeping the native dog breeds on the other hand is very similar to bonsai in that it is the hobby of old men. It's often physically out of the question to take one of these un-socialized dogs in a car to the vet. I guess this is what really bothers me about this particular breeder. He cared enough about making money to get X-rays to see if the breeding took, but not to do heath checks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
If you have connections in Germany, yes, get someone to get you a puppy....most breeders are going to send the bottom puppies in a litter abroad....there have been numerous posters here who have been taken by European breeders who promise a far different animal than they ship out....
One other caveat if you are planning on importing a dog, the cargo alone is going to cost a fortune and if I lived in T-land, I'd be afraid of the dog roasting on the tarmac.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjax View Post
As for dogs, there is a distinct dichotomy between the small cute pet dogs that are often dressed in clothes and generally spoiled and the native dog breeds that are considered livestock. For the small pet type dog, all that matters is that they are cute. Keeping the native dog breeds on the other hand is very similar to bonsai in that it is the hobby of old men. It's often physically out of the question to take one of these un-socialized dogs in a car to the vet. I guess this is what really bothers me about this particular breeder. He cared enough about making money to get X-rays to see if the breeding took, but not to do heath checks.

One other caveat if you are planning on importing a dog, the cargo alone is going to cost a fortune and if I lived in T-land, I'd be afraid of the dog roasting on the tarmac.
Similar here, except the native breeds are all pretty much strays or semi-strays (they get food from a house, but roam free, vet care kept to a minimum). I like the standards in Europe most. At least the good breeders. They never sell puppies as a business and they socialize as much as they can. They also choose who to give their pups too... like someone who says works 8 hours a day and the dog would be alone, wouldn't get a dog from a good breeder - which I personally like.

As for tarmac: I never walk my dog in the heat and not on tarmac. If it's really necessary, I dog shoes on. But walks in the morning and early afternoon are okay. If it gets too hot, she gets her cool vest.

@wolfstraum: If I'd import a dog from Germany I'd plan a long trip back home and take it with me. So i can get to know the puppy first and train it for the flight. My friend took a working golden puppy back from Sweden and she adapted well. They even take their dogs on holiday/training trips to Europe... which must really cost a fortune but it's their hobby/passion so why not. But no rush in getting a 2nd dog now, Mika just turnt one.

Chan isn't used in T (well, there's the word "chan" but it means "I"), but they have similar words (older brother/sister, uncle, grandma) which go in front of the name (and not only for family members). I just put "chan" cause the name without it was taken I guess... and that's the first I could think of. I like Japanese, but I can't speak any.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page