She is home - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Thecowboysgirl

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

She is home

After the longest 24 hrs of my life, my girl is home after her endoscopy. They are sending out biopsies taken today.

Apparently they could not get as far as they planned because the entrance from her stomach to ....whatever comes next (duodemun???) Is shaped really weird, he said like almost folded over, and the scope could not pass through. I said could that be causing her nausea, maybe the food doesn't go through as easily as it should, but he said he reeally didn't think so because she would be vomiting food more which she almost never does, and sometimes eating even helps her nausea.

He did NOT see ulcers or abnormalities in her stomach.

I asked him if he would be supportive of trying putting her back on a homemade diet and he said he thought that was a good idea and would refer us to a veterinary nutritionist to design one. This makes me very hopeful.

So...unless biopsies say otherwise, we are still calling it IBD NOS (the NOS is my personal flair if anyone is a psychology buff) apparently there is a small chance this could be some sort of lymophoma but he does not think it is.

Her symptoms are intermittent cycling nausea (excessive drooling and looking miserable), often with no vomiting. Intermittent vomiting bile on empty stomach, sometimes food, in the beginning sometimes brown liquid. Intermittent diarrhea or loose stools, used to be loose mucus stools but that is awhile ago now. Coprophagia (sp?) Starting with other gi symptoms.

There is no solid correlation I can say between her symptoms and environmental triggers. I board dogs in my house and sometimes it is a little chaotic this does not bother her and there is no causation there.

I said earlier I could think of at least one time she vomited after some drama with my step daughter but my step daughter has been out of the house for over a year and the dog's symptoms have only gotten worse. There is no drama in my marriage, very stable and happy so the house hold atmosphere is generally mellow and quiet.

I don't think it correlates to her working as a service dog, she was healthy as a horse for many, many years of very active duty and in every way I can tell she loves her job. The worst of her symptoms have occured post retirement. (I could almost believe she was mad enough to get sick because I made her stay home lol)

Also, there will be times like one day I took her to the park, which she loves, I took her just for special time for a sniffy walk. We had a delightful time and leisurely walk, came home and she immediately started with the drooling. I can think of another day we had gone and done something she really enjoyed, no stress, and the next day she was sick.

The one other1 factor of course was that during the time she was so healthy she was eating home made food and when I put her back on kibble nothing happened immediately but there was a very gradual decline that got us where we are now.

So I am waiting for biopsies and depending on that I think he wants to try her on prednisone to reduce the inflammation in her digestive tract and get her some relief, *I* want to try again ti get her off kibble and see if that might help. Now that I have a vet's support and someone to tell me the right balance if things to feed her....

Does anyone else have any thoughts or suggestions?

By the way he said she was the nicest shepherd they have ever had (personality) That's my girl!
ksotto333 and lalabug like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 07:12 PM

Glad to hear no ulcers/abnormalities! I sent you a message since I'm going through something similar with my dog. I hope that if it's IBD you can figure something out to control and hopefully eliminate the symptoms!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 07:12 PM
Crowned Member

Glad your girl is back home with you. Sending thoughts and prayers for a full and speedy recovery. The nutritional consult and homemade sounds like the way to go. Sending hugs to your girl.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 09:09 PM
Crowned Member

I'm glad she is home so nerve wracking when they have to go through any procedure. Looks like she will be homemade eating meals fit for a queen.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 11:24 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

Glad she is home. I hope they can find a simple solution!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 01:18 AM

Glad she's home!! Sending good vibes for all clear on her biopsies!

Ghost - our first WGSD, parvo survivor, 9/30/16
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 12:39 PM

Any updates?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

No, still waiting on the biopsy result. She is currently only taking omeprazole and has not had any symptoms since she came home from the hospital, but I know she tends to go in cycles anyway that don't always have any rhyme or reason.

She is still eating the Royal Canin rabbit limited ingredient perscription diet. I have been trying the boy on Honest Kitchen and so far, so good, he likes it and he hasn't had any loose stools (he is still eating mostly kibble but yesterday I think he had about a cup of THK)

I bought a box of THK keen because it ocurred to me that she tested borderline for turkey sensitivity on her allergy blood test that was maybe 8 yrs ago now. So I never fed her turkey. She has had red meat, she ate duck and chicken for years, but turkey I think is still novel for her. And I know those blood tests arent very well thought of. So I thought it might be worth a try to let her try that THK and see what happens, it must be more digestible than kibble and would save me having to cook again.

Hoping it isnt a huge mistake to try this but the good thing is I can always feed it to the boy if it doesnt go well.

That's all the news!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 03:01 PM
Crowned Member

Glad she is doing so well.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page