and now we have a tapeworm... - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

and now we have a tapeworm...

Brought Ghost back to vet again this week - still dealing with the same issues with poop turning to diarrhea every couple of days. Float came back with a "very rare" tapeworm. Vet said it is one of the types they hardly ever see, as I suppose the most common tapes are caused by flea ingestion. He said no way to tell what the host may have been, but did ask if I thought she had maybe eaten a frog, lizard, or the like. So we did the de-worming(2-day treatment), which seems to have messed up her appetite a bit. So of course that has me on edge now, even though she's drinking and playing normally.
Anyone had experience with a "rare" tapeworm before? I didn't ask him what it was specifically called. I feel like poor Ghost has been through the ringer and it's just always something with her every other week.
Thanks for listening. <3

Ghost - our first WGSD, parvo survivor, 9/30/16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 04:45 PM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

I've not had a dog have a "rare" tapeworm, but I they have had the regular kind before. They were given Drontal and it screwed up their appetites for a few days, as well. But after that, they returned to normal. Are you giving probiotics?
lalabug likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyGhost View Post
I've not had a dog have a "rare" tapeworm, but I they have had the regular kind before. They were given Drontal and it screwed up their appetites for a few days, as well. But after that, they returned to normal. Are you giving probiotics?
Yes, Fortiflora. I thought it was helping but we are still back and forth with the diarrhea. Vet said we could give her a double dose each day, but I'm not sure how I feel about that. Just trying to figure out one thing at a time without something else going wrong in the meantime.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 05:55 PM
Crowned Member

FROG??!

Do me a favor....consider asking the vet if he might give you 7 days of Panacur on top of the tape-worm meds (7 days -- not 5 or 3).

Here's why: eating a frog or snail can be a way to transmit rat lungworms. Your vet may say, "We don't have rat lungworms here."

Then tell him we've had a case of canine rat lungworm infection in Ascension Parish -- and it nearly killed the dog (presenting neurological symptoms that looked like meningitis in the advanced stage as the worms moved toward the brain). Panacur for 7 days gets rid of them -- once we figured out what was wrong, but diagnosis was difficult because this isn't something vets would normally look for.

Our rescue had the first known clinical case of rat lungworm in a dog in South La. There was a human case a few years ago. Since then, our vet has seen several more cases in dogs.

When we pull dogs from swampy areas where they may have been surviving on snails and frogs and other gross stuff, we run them through with a course of Panacur just to be sure they're clear. I never, ever want to go through what we did with the last dog who had them.
lalabug likes this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 07:12 PM
Crowned Member

Question

Salmon? Does any food or treats have salmon? I was just reading how salmon in AMERICAN water carries Japanese tapeworm. Not sure if dogs can get it, no one has been able to answer that for me.
lalabug likes this.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
Salmon? Does any food or treats have salmon? I was just reading how salmon in AMERICAN water carries Japanese tapeworm. Not sure if dogs can get it, no one has been able to answer that for me.

No salmon in anything. I just checked. I'm going to have to ask him what the specific worm is. I'm intrigued.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

@Magwart that sounds HORRIBLE!! Will ask for Panacur but don't want to give her antibiotics if not absolutely necessary, right? Poor gut will get messed up even further? I feel helpless, I keep going over things in my mind and we've done eliminations of this or that but it just keeps coming back in an almost routine cycle.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 12:30 AM
Crowned Member

Panacur is a very safe dewormer, not an antibiotic. It may upset her tummy (depress appetite) for a few days, but it doesn't do lingering damage. It also treats giardia. However, it doesn't get tape worms, so they'll need to add something else for those.

The "routine cycle" part of your posts makes me suspicious about parasites. Mention that to your vet too. Cycling is often a lifecycle of...something.
lalabug likes this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 12:35 AM
Crowned Member

Have you thought about DE? I give it to my dogs for 5-7 days per month as maintenance and we have never had worms

"Many internal and external parasites can be controlled and eliminated with DE. Intestinal roundworms, hookworms and tapeworms are a few of the parasitic infestations which DE can eliminate."

https://www.vetinfo.com/using-diatom...worm-pets.html
lalabug likes this.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

and now we have a tapeworm...

They tested for parasites last two times and both were negative(with this time the tapeworm exception), so again, at a loss. We are going to be switching the food yet again, so if that doesn't help then I really just don't know at this point. Can I request that my vet test her for SIBO or EPI? Could that be the culprit? She's not yet had that done.

Last edited by lalabug; 02-09-2017 at 01:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page