and now we have a tapeworm... - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

@llombardo no haven't tried that yet but will put it on the list to give it a shot. Why not at this point. Poor Ghost.

Ghost - our first WGSD, parvo survivor, 9/30/16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 11:10 AM
Crowned Member

lalabug, I'm going to post this recipe again. I have many times, but few people seem interested. I have used the same veterinary practice, since my first dog in 1962. (Well, my parents took me.) lol. This recipe has been passed down through three generations of veterinarians. I have used it for decades, on multiple dogs. It works. It gives the gut time to heal.

Measurements are approximate...
Cook 1 pound of ground beef and drain
Place in large bowl and add 2 cups of All Bran cereal
Stir

Feed your dog a few handfuls, throughout the day. You can start, but eliminating kibble for a few days. Then you can gradually add kibble back in. Keep refrigerated and use as needed. I have even frozen it. Often, I make some up and use it as a topper, for the kibble. It keeps the stools firm and anal glands expressed.

No harm in trying.
lalabug and JessicaR like this.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom View Post
lalabug, I'm going to post this recipe again. I have many times, but few people seem interested. I have used the same veterinary practice, since my first dog in 1962. (Well, my parents took me.) lol. This recipe has been passed down through three generations of veterinarians. I have used it for decades, on multiple dogs. It works. It gives the gut time to heal.

Measurements are approximate...
Cook 1 pound of ground beef and drain
Place in large bowl and add 2 cups of All Bran cereal
Stir

Feed your dog a few handfuls, throughout the day. You can start, but eliminating kibble for a few days. Then you can gradually add kibble back in. Keep refrigerated and use as needed. I have even frozen it. Often, I make some up and use it as a topper, for the kibble. It keeps the stools firm and anal glands expressed.

No harm in trying.
Thank you <3 I'm willing to continue trying everything I can.
Stevenzachsmom likes this.

Ghost - our first WGSD, parvo survivor, 9/30/16

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 11:56 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalabug View Post
Thank you <3 I'm willing to continue trying everything I can.
Honestly, the folks on my beagle forum are much more likely to try this. I had one contact me on FB recently - "What was that recipe again? My dog has diarrhea. The vet and I have tried everything. Nothing is working." It worked.

Good luck!
lalabug likes this.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 06:27 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalabug View Post
Float came back with a "very rare" tapeworm. Vet said it is one of the types they hardly ever see, as I suppose the most common tapes are caused by flea ingestion. He said no way to tell what the host may have been, but did ask if I thought she had maybe eaten a frog, lizard, or the like.
Anyone had experience with a "rare" tapeworm before? I didn't ask him what it was specifically called.
Yes, please ask what type it was.

“Tapeworm species can include Dipylidium Caninum, Taenia, Echinococcus, and Mesocestoides.”

“Dipylidium caninum is a tapeworm that uses fleas as its intermediate host.”

“Taenia and Echinococcus species use small rodents (mice, rats, squirrels), rabbits, or large animals (such as deer or sheep) as their intermediate hosts.”

“Mesocestoides
Two forms of disease are caused by infection of small animals with Mesocestoides spp.
· The intestinal form in which dogs and cats harbor adult Mesocestoides spp. rarely causes clinical disease.
· Peritoneal mesocestodiasis is a rare condition in which tetrathyridium asexually replicate within the peritoneal cavity, causing clinical signs such as ascites, anorexia/weight loss, vomiting, diarrhea, and tachypnea. Scrotal infections have also been documented and scrotal swelling may be clinically visible.”
·

HOSTS of Mesocestoides (per U Penn Veterinary Medicine)

• Definitive - Carnivores, birds and humans.
  • 1st Intermediate - Free-living mites.
  • 2nd intermediate - Amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals.

Moms
lalabug likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page