Odd question, but I can't find my 6 month old pups testicles? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Odd question, but I can't find my 6 month old pups testicles?

Not sure if this is something I should be concerned about but today I noticed, I can't find my 6 month old german shepherd's testacle? Not sure if this is a weird question or not. I don't have breeding purposes for him but just curious about this? I read they're suppose to drop around 2-4 months?

To my knowledge, he isn't neutered. I'm a contact the breeder I bought him from just to confirm but is it possible it just hasn't dropped yet? Should I be concerned for any health issues?

Thanks Guys!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 01:10 AM
Elite Member

If you got him from a breeder and not a rescue it is highly unlikely he would be neutered at 6 months. Rescues routinely neuter before they adopt out.

Talk to your vet. I have no experience with males but I believe there can be issues with an undescended testicle.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 01:25 AM

Yes, I have had two GSDs who have had a retained testicle. I think it is fairly common. They can either be missing one or both testicles. The missing one will probably not drop at this point. The retained testicle could be a cancer risk, I think, and should be removed. The procedure will be a little more involved than the typical neuter and more expensive. (If you'd rather, you can have just the retained testicle removed). I will wait until my boy is 1.5 years or so to have him neutered. Such dogs are disqualified from showing, I think, and probably should not be bred. Other than those issues, I don't think it's that big of a deal.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrench View Post
Yes, I have had two GSDs who have had a retained testicle. I think it is fairly common. They can either be missing one or both testicles. The missing one will probably not drop at this point. The retained testicle could be a cancer risk, I think, and should be removed. The procedure will be a little more involved than the typical neuter and more expensive. (If you'd rather, you can have just the retained testicle removed). I will wait until my boy is 1.5 years or so to have him neutered. Such dogs are disqualified from showing, I think, and probably should not be bred. Other than those issues, I don't think it's that big of a deal.
That's correct. The breeder should have known the testicles hadn't decended. At 6 months you should be able to feel them quite easily. You can still hold off neutering until 12-18 months, but you shouldn't breed and definitely do need to neuter. The testicles are likely still in the body and producing sperm. They become a cancer risk later in life if left unaltered. You're also correct that it would disqualify the dog from shows.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 07:37 PM
Crowned Member

There is a low chance of testicular cancer. The risk is about the same as for dogs with descended testicles. The problem lies in finding that there is a tumor when it is internal. Because you do not see it, the chances of finding testicular cancer in time to neuter (what you would do if your intact dog got testicular cancer), are pretty much nil. No reason to hurry to get him snipped. Understand that he may still be capable of reproduction, otherwise, getting them removed at 2 years is fine.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Hepzibah
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 09:03 PM

The undescended testicle would not make viable sperm because the body heat is too high and would kill the sperm but would still produce testosterone.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 10:34 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
The undescended testicle would not make viable sperm because the body heat is too high and would kill the sperm but would still produce testosterone.
Yes, but, dogs with undescended testicles have sired litters.

When it is warm, the sack will be carried low where it has air, and when it gets colder the sack is carried higher where it has more warmth near the body. The body is 102 degrees, and I don't know if that is too hot for the sperm. I've heard that aggressive grooming in a show dog with a blow dryer cause fatality in sperm count.

Heidi, RA CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Hepzibah
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 11:52 AM

The sire of my GSD lives outside In Texas and he can only sire one batch a year because of the heat. He could sire two batches if he lived in the air conditioning. Both testes are descended of course.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
Yes, but, dogs with undescended testicles have sired litters.

When it is warm, the sack will be carried low where it has air, and when it gets colder the sack is carried higher where it has more warmth near the body. The body is 102 degrees, and I don't know if that is too hot for the sperm. I've heard that aggressive grooming in a show dog with a blow dryer cause fatality in sperm count.
Stupid question, but could it be because it's winter right now and my pup is cold? It's not super cold but it gets about 30 degrees Fahrenheit. I know that's not really cold but could this be it as well? I'm a take him to the vet this Saturday since I got the AKC free checkup at a vet to make sure everything is fine.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 07:56 PM
Crowned Member

Well, testicles go up and down. They go up and are closer to the body when it is cold, and hang lower when it is hot. For baby puppies, the drop and then they sneak back up there. And they will continue to do this until the ring closes and then they are either up or down. If they are up when the ring closes, then you have undescended testicles. If one is up, then you have a single undescended testicle.

I have heard various tales about how late testicles might drop, but a lot of people think 4 months should do it. I have a friend who said she sold a pup as a pet at 8 months because of the testicles not being down, and at 11 months, the lady was showing the dog, they had come down. Not sure if I believe it though.

Heidi, RA CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Hepzibah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page