I think my little rescue pup had a seizure - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy I think my little rescue pup had a seizure

He is exhibiting typical post seizure behavior, which I just learned all about as I sit up with him at 3 am. He has been pacing constantly , panting, vacant eyes, does not respond to stimilus at all, is wedging himself into any small space he can, peed and lost his bowels. Its so sad. I am 2 hours from the nearest ER vet, so that is not an option at this point. If it were warm, I would put him out in the yard to wander and loose his bowels, but I just cant let him be outdoors and possibly freeze to death in his addled state. He finally has passed out with his head shoved in a very small crack after he lost his bowels all over himself and the floor.

The previous owner (2 owners ago since me) vet records say he had a seizure in November, but OF COURSE they did not mention this to me or the lady they first sold him to.

Please do not yell at me for not rushing him to an ER vet. I am going to call his vet here in the AM. But if you have any encouragement with stories about GS pups who you have managed seizures with and did not have to put them down, I would appreciate that. As it is right now I dont see how I can possibly manage this on a monthly basis. I am going to have to either find out how to manage it, find him an owner through the GS rescue who can deal with a major medical problem as well as poo everywhere or put him down.

He has been such an amazing little pup up until this afternoon. It was such a sudden and shocking change. Even my husband who is a farmer and has more of a "take it out back and shoot it" attitude is feeling terrible for this little sweet pup. He stayed up until 1 am with him trying to make him comfortable and washing him off after he messed himself.

Feeling exhausted and hopeless right now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 07:09 AM

I'm so sorry you're going through this with your poor little pup. I am not an expert by any means, but I did used to have a dog (LB mutt) who suffered from seizures. She unfortunately didn't make it, but in the course of her diagnosis, etc. we learned that there are dogs who do fine on medication, so don't think it's impossible! Also, your vet will need to figure out why he had a seizure. It could be epilepsy, but it could also be something like a toxin, or one of his organs not working properly. The vet will be able to give you a lot more information in the morning. Good luck, and I hope your poor guy feels better soon <3
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 07:47 AM
Elite Member

I've been dealing with refractory epilepsy in my young dog for several months now. One day he was fine and the next someone flipped a switch somewhere and he started having multiple cluster seizures every week. Grand mals in the double digits and if you count the facial tics and eyelash flutter seizure activity then he was having dozens of seizure each day at one point.

Take a deep breath, get him to the vet when you can, and see what they say. There may be a treatable medical cause for the seizures or there may not be. Gotta play it by ear.

Most dogs respond beautifully to the anti convulsant meds. Many have lived long healthy lives on them.

I have been using ocular compression for my dog, and have seen wonderful improvement. I've used it to stop seizures, prevent seizures, and finds it greatly reduced postictal behavior. It's a good skill to have.

Now, you don't need to make this decision now, and the truth is you shouldn't make this decision now. Not while emotionally raw and exhausted. Not before finding out what the vet says.

But even on medicine, it's normal for the dog to have the occasional seizure. And that means the icky stuff that goes on with it like losing control of the bowels and bladder.

Seizures are tough on the dog mentally IME. They become pretty confused and scared. There have been times my guy has come out of it and wanted to climb in my lap. We both ended up covered in urine and feces. It's disgusting, yes. But floors can be cleaned, clothes can be washed, showers can be taken, and baths can be given.

There is nothing wrong with deciding that you can not handle this type of heavy stuff, but it is something that you will have to consider at some point and make the best decision for the dog.

When you go to the vet, make sure you explain that you are very far from an emergency vet. Lots of vets won't put dogs on meds for such infrequent seizure activity (3 months apart) so you may need to let them know of your situation so they can give you valium. If the dog were to go into a seizure and not come out, rectal valium will stop it. Been there, done that, got the t shirt.

I had started a thread entitled "grand mal seizures" on the health and wellness forum here. Lots of the wonderful posters here have shared their experiences and brainstormed for me. Lots of ideas on management options were mentioned. Both conventional and nonconventional. Some of it might help you out.

Best of luck to you both.
Deb and Aly like this.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoolamb
We both ended up covered in urine and feces. It's disgusting, yes. But floors can be cleaned, clothes can be washed, showers can be taken, and baths can be given.
Beautifully said. I wish this mindset were more prevalent.

Sorry to hear about your pup. How old is he? I think the advice given so far has been good and I would echo it.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

I am very very sad to say that we put him down this morning. It was just beyond horrible. He was completely unresponsive, as if in a coma. We think there was some sort of permanent brain damage and possibly a much more serious liver or tumor problem.

I am so sad right now, he was such a sweet little guy. I am so glad we got to love him and make him so happy for the very short time we had the pleasure of his company.

Last edited by Marinemom19; 02-05-2017 at 04:14 PM.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 04:26 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinemom19 View Post
I am very very sad to say that we put him down this morning. It was just beyond horrible. He was completely unresponsive, as if in a coma. We think there was some sort of permanent brain damage and possibly a much more serious liver or tumor problem.

I am so sad right now, he was such a sweet little guy. I am so glad we got to love him and make him so happy for the very short time we had the pleasure of his company.
Aww man I am so sorry to heard this!! You put in so much time and effort with him.

Sometimes ... some of us just draw a short straw and a dogs/puppies time is up ... and somehow some of them find there ways to us at "life's end???"

And while there lives with us is short ... they don't pass in despair and loneliness ... they know we were with them ... I'm so sorry. This just breaks my heart. Take Care.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:

I'm so sorry to hear this. He was fortunate to get to spend the end of his life with people who loved him so much. I'm sorry for your loss, and you'll be in my thoughts.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Aww man I am so sorry to heard this!! You put in so much time and effort with him.

Sometimes ... some of us just draw a short straw and a dogs/puppies time is up ... and somehow some of them find there ways to us at "life's end???"

And while there lives with us is short ... they don't pass in despair and loneliness ... they know we were with them ... I'm so sorry. This just breaks my heart. Take Care.
thank you so much Chip. We did all we could to make his short time with us super happy, and he brought me so many smiles. I just feel so bad it had to end the way it did.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by telavivgsd View Post
I'm so sorry to hear this. He was fortunate to get to spend the end of his life with people who loved him so much. I'm sorry for your loss, and you'll be in my thoughts.
thank you for your kind words. He was a very good boy.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 04:57 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
thank you so much Chip. We did all we could to make his short time with us super happy, and he brought me so many smiles. I just feel so bad it had to end the way it did.
I was stunned and heartbroken ... in any case sent you a "PM."

Hope you'll stick around ... on "Boxerforum" heartbreak is the way many, many members find there way to us there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page