Medical Bills Advise needed - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
I'm worried about pythiosis in this dog's intestine. There have been cases in CA. Please the internal medicine person if it has been ruled out before spending loads more money that you don't have.
Magwart, pathology reports are being done on the tissues. I'll know the results this coming week. And thank you for pointing this out. We have a check with the IMS this thursday or if they call beforehand with the result, I will ask about it. And let y'all know if the organisms that cause the pythiosis are present. Please pray for us, thank you!

~Ashpaw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Thank you Liffey, I will consider it. I'd like to do a test first, do you know if they have sample bags for purchase? My girl can be a bit picky.
I called them several weeks ago (maybe 3-4 weeks) and they said they didn't have any samples but were working on it. Try contacting them directly.

Also, Grandma Lucy's is the same idea, and they will ship samples to you for $1 per sample with free shipping.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liffey View Post
I called them several weeks ago (maybe 3-4 weeks) and they said they didn't have any samples but were working on it. Try contacting them directly.

Also, Grandma Lucy's is the same idea, and they will ship samples to you for $1 per sample with free shipping.
Hehe, yeah Eclair's already on a little of Grandma Lucy. I use it as a topping for her kibbles. I purchased a sample from them and she seemed to like it. Thanks again for the input Liffey. Do you know which is better? Between Sojos, Grandma Lucy's, and Honest Kitchen?

~Ashpaw

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Do you know which is better? Between Sojos, Grandma Lucy's, and Honest Kitchen?
I know that Grandma Lucy's, except for their Macana line, uses garlic in their foods and some dogs will not eat it because it smells strongly of garlic.

Otherwise, I have no idea, because I haven't tried either.

Honest Kitchen is dehydrated, not freeze-dried. The process is slightly different. From what I understand, freeze-drying removes the moisture while the food is still at a cold enough temperature to not damage the enzymes, but the freezing process kills bacteria. I think freeze-dried preserves a slightly higher quality product but a LOT of people here seem to really like THK and it's the only pet food manufacturer who's allowed to label their ingredients as human-grade, so that's impressive.

Having not fed any of them, I can't tell you much... but I think they are all really good products, just comes down to what your dog likes and tolerates well.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

Update:
Since starting the goFundMe page, it's slowly helping.
My friends have been also trying to help spread the word, God bless their hearts.

I've started posting on Ebay and other sites specifically for the types of items I'm selling.

I'm crossing my fingers.

And I think she is doing ok. But as a first time dog owner...my knowledge is very limited.
Our first check with the IMS vet, since coming home, is this Thursday.

~Ashpaw
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Update 2/8/2017

Bad news everyone! Got the call from the IMS vet regarding her biopsies.

Pathology reports came in for the damaged intestines that was taken out during her surgery. Turns out its cancerous, lymphoma sarcoma. And it was also found at the ends of the intestines that was taken out as well, so that means the supposedly good healthy looking intestines that was put back together has some cancer cells there too. There is no need for surgery again, at this time. Now we need to see an oncologist, for a consultation and possibly start of chemo. Our appointment is next week, the same time we get the 28+ staples out of her belly.

Lord love a duck! Can't it get any better? The other organs: the liver was enlarged due to the toxins in her blood stream from the damaged intestine. The spleen had reactive tissue as well, but dogs do ok without their spleen...or so I've been told (petMD) and vets.

Whatever the case, it looks like my ebay sales and such, plus the goFundMe page aren't enough to cover anymore. I researched the cost of chemotherapy for dogs and it runs into the $6000-8000 for large dogs. Since our oncology appointment isn't til next week and treatment hasn't started, we might be able to get help from those foundations like Mosby now. I don't know. I'll going to try them all.

~Ashpaw
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 08:35 PM
Crowned Member

I am so sorry your going through this. Sending thoughts ,prayers and hugs for your girl and you.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 09:26 PM

Really sorry to hear about your ordeal. I have a dog around your dog's age who is also showing symptoms of IBD and I was told that cancer is very rare in dogs this age. Please keep us posted and best of luck to you with your appointment next week.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 09:33 PM
Crowned Member

Oh, no! I'm so sorry for this diagnosis.

Oncology in dogs is different than for humans. The goal in dogs is usually not to cure the cancer. It's to extend quality of life. Please ask the oncologist to have very honest conversation about how much time, and what the quality will be.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 09:57 PM
Elite Member

I am so sorry to hear this. I know I always want to give a dog a chance, but make sure you do have an honest conversation and complete understanding of what chemo means as far as quality of life and prognosis. Even people sometimes chose not to undergo treatment because it is so difficult with little reward. So sorry, I've been in similar situations and I know how difficult it is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page