Medical Bills Advise needed - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1976E View Post
I would try to up the max for next year if they allow you that.
Good luck.
Yeah, we've got Embrace Pet Insurance. It's been really good up until this super bad emergency happened. I will definitely see if I can get the annual max increased from $5000 to 10000 just in case for the next year. I don't ever want to have financial issues like this again. It really hurts my heart to have not enough for her.

~Ashpaw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskeg View Post
I used CareCredit for a $6000 unexpected vet bill and was happy to have it, the problem is they give you 0% interest for just a year, then if you don't pay it off within a year, you are saddled with back interest.

You can also use a 0% APR credit card, I keep getting offers for 18 month intro 0% APR (again, you'd have to pay off within that time or switch the balance somewhere else). Sometimes the interest rate, once it kicks in, is lower than CareCredit, and without back payments. You can also investigate personal loans through your bank. Or personal loans from family-friends and possibly a lower interest rate.

Sell what you can. I sold some stuff on Ebay to help with the bill and it worked well for me.

Consider the long-term outcome for the dog. Are you going to draw the line at some point if the medical bills keep piling up? I know it is so hard to just give up, but you might find yourself in massive debt, with an incredibly sick dog that is just getting sicker. I am so sorry you are in this situation, my heart goes out to you.
I tried applying for Care Credit because the hospital takes its, but since I'm currently unemployed, I was denied.

Yes, I've started already going through some stuff to put up for sell on ebay. It takes awhile to rummage and get the listing ready for postage.

honestly, I don't really want to consider the long term out come. I can't give up just yet. But I will take your suggestion to heart and file it away for use later down the road. Thank you Muskeg.

~Ashpaw
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
Wow Ashpaw, we're going to have to break this down.
Meds? That many and they don't know why? They don't know why the GI tract is breaking down?
Spleen removed? Did I miss the age? That is extreme No?

I want others to read the bio and chime in before I go off on my "Over servicing with drugs" theory...
Hoping to get a balance from all this to turn your pup around, but the spleen this is disconcerting

The IMS is suspicious of the prednisone, and how it decreases the owns body's ability to heal properly, when used longterm. The pathology reports for the intestine, liver, and spleen are due to come in the next week. I need to know what caused the leaking,damaged small intestine. I was a big o mess.

She's only 4 years old and I feel if the vets could have taken care of that giardia when she was a pup and not drag it out for an year, her GI system would not have been in such a mess. I did research on giardia, and it has been known to cause IBD.

~Ashpaw

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Thecoyboysgirl for sharing your IBD experience, especially with the food. It's always tough when your baby has to go through such things. Thank you for your well wishes, I think the positive vibes are helping both Eclair and my sanity.
Thecowboysgirl likes this.

~Ashpaw
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyard View Post
Wow, I'm sorry you're going thru all that. The Mosby foundation is one organization that can help with some pet bills. You might also ask some rescues. Some have funds that can help owners. It sounds like maybe at some point there was an allergy issue there. Maybe for a short time a hydrolyzed diet could be tried. Just my experience but venison was a disaster for mine. Worked at first (and her allergy test showed it was ok) but then it turned into a diarrhea disaster.
I used Honest Kitchen once for a dog who ended up with a fungal infection that went into her organs and that did help. She loved it and gained weight for a time. But at this point I'd be nervous about trying different foods without vet supervision.
When my senior girl kept having diarrhea it was giardia. Metronidazole didn't work. I used panacur for 5 days, 3 week break, then 4 days of panacur and 10 days of tylosin. But the above is only my experience. I think I would consider another vet opinion. Hope things go better.

Thank you for the helpful suggestions! I checked out The Mosby Foundation and snaps, they don't help emergency situation that have already been done or in the process already. I looked into rescues, but many so far have only helped dogs that are in their care and haven't been adopted/fostered yet. I'll keep looking around though.

Eclair tried Hill's Z/D prescription hydrolyzed diet already and it was a no go. We also would have like to try Honest Kitchen or something like Stella and Chewy but they don't offer single unique proteins. Honest Kitchen only has the common proteins like chicken, beef, etc. And the freeze dried meals are a mix of proteins or common proteins. I did manage to find freeze dried Primal Venison, which is a new protein in their line-up and a different brand from New Zealand, but they don't sit will with her stool. And yes, cooked chicken and rice is a no go too, also a diarrhea starter.

The hospital had been giving her JUST FOOD FOR DOGS, I managed to get some samples. I'll give it a try, as a topping for her regular kibbles. It would be $45+ per day if I had to go JFFD by itself for her meals and that is not feasible. They have DIY kits too, I'll look into that too. I don't know how much that would be and how time consuming to purchase quality ingredients and prepare her meals...

~Ashpaw

Last edited by ashpaw; 02-05-2017 at 01:34 AM.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 11:21 AM

If you're going the freeze-dried/dehydrated raw route, check out Sojos. I haven't tried it with my dog yet but I want to soon. They have venison, boar, turkey, goat, beef, and lamb and they are all single protein foods, no chicken mixed in or anything like that.

Again, I can't give a review since I haven't tried it but you might be interested. A 2lb bag is around $25 and supposedly makes 10lb once you add water.

www.sojos.com
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 04:20 PM
Crowned Member

Ashpaw, Honest Kitchen has a base mix - Preference base mix. Grain free, lots of fibre and you add your own meat, either raw or cooked

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 07:11 PM
Crowned Member

I'm worried about pythiosis in this dog's intestine. There have been cases in CA. Please the internal medicine person if it has been ruled out before spending loads more money that you don't have.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liffey View Post
If you're going the freeze-dried/dehydrated raw route, check out Sojos. I haven't tried it with my dog yet but I want to soon. They have venison, boar, turkey, goat, beef, and lamb and they are all single protein foods, no chicken mixed in or anything like that.

Again, I can't give a review since I haven't tried it but you might be interested. A 2lb bag is around $25 and supposedly makes 10lb once you add water.

www.sojos.com

Thank you Liffey, I will consider it. I'd like to do a test first, do you know if they have sample bags for purchase? My girl can be a bit picky.

~Ashpaw
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
Ashpaw, Honest Kitchen has a base mix - Preference base mix. Grain free, lots of fibre and you add your own meat, either raw or cooked
Thanks GatorBytes! I did want to do the Preference base mix for her but was having trouble sourcing quality venison with liver and heart for a good solid price. I saw ground vension from several brands like Oma's Pride, but all ranged from $12+ per lb. Plus they just have ground vension meat on the label. Have you tried Preference? And if so, do you have to take into account the protein/fat content of different types of meats you add to the mix? Is it better to cook the meat first or just go with raw?

~Ashpaw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page