Clay's in a bad way - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Clay's in a bad way

Update I guess....So I recently posted a story about how my GSD clay was attacked on the 20th Friday morning well we had to make a visit to the vets because he could hardly stand he didn't want to eat his breathing was cracking and was just not right he was so lethargic...

so Friday morning the vet checks him all over notes his trachea is very swollen then she takes his temperature and is quite concerned as it's 40.6 celsius the vet says caused by an infection most likely caused by an unseen puncture wound from the dog who attacked him so she gives him an injection of metacam (meloxicam ) and synulox to last 24 hours and we were to bring him back first thing and in the meantime at home we should cover him with damp towels and try some other thing to help with his temp...

Saturday the vet does all her checks then comes the temp check his temp has not gone down at all still read 40.6 so more injections and she said she could take him in but being the weekend they were closing in 2 hours so he would be transferred to a pet hospital we asked if I would be okay to take him home instead she said it would be fine as long as someone would be with him at all times (there would be) so home we go we also take more meds for the Sunday as he had another appointment for Monday...

Monday we see the vet she does her checks then then takes his temperature it reads 41.3! so bloods are taken to see what's going on 45 mind later the results show a bacterial infection so more medication and we are to bring him back on Wednesday at 11am to see if his temp has improved and in the meantime if he becomes worse to call straight away

well its Tuesday evening and no improvement whatsoever he's worse... so called the vets she say to keep him cool make sure he's drinking keep hi comfortable and quite and to bring him in first thing to be put on an iv and more tests.

I just feel so hopeless he's not getting better not even a little he's getting worse he looks so sick he doesn't even move he has to be lifted just so he can stand to go to the toilet or to drink and I can't help him my whole family is so upset I wish I had taken him to the vets sooner but I honestly thought it wasn't that bad I didn't find any wounds or anything I just thought it's was I little bit of shock or maybe he was little stiff or I don't know I'm so stupid he must have been sick for days before I took him to the vets.

Sorry for the length of this post I haven't included every little detail but most of its there that's for reading and please wish Clay well.

Also if you have a dog with a long coat and it gets attacked or has a fight and you find no wound take the dog to the vets anyway you just never know.

Clay (GSD) 07/07/2012.[CGC]
Honey (mix breed) 26/01/2003
Mai (meow) 30/03/2006

I own two dogs and am owned by one cat

and I love them more than word's can say
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 01:56 PM

Praying for y'all... Hoping Clay is on the road to recovery as quickly as possible. Hang in there, don't blame yourself.

Ghost - our first WGSD, parvo survivor, 9/30/16
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 02:08 PM

prayers for you and Clay..

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 02:16 PM
Elite Member

hopefully it passes and he's up and running around real soon.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 02:26 PM
Elite Member

Oh, poor Clay! Poor you! This must be so hard. Wishing Clay a super speedy recovery.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 02:28 PM

My thoughts and hopes are for a quick recovery for your boy.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 02:28 PM

I am so sorry to read this. Hoping Clay makes a full recovery and is running around soon
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 02:36 PM

One thing you could do is try to hydrate him orally. I use the baby fluid you can get at the grocery called pedialyte. It has electrolyte minerals and some sugar glucose. Its for sick babies who have diahhrea. There must be other brands in England. As he lies on his side lift his muzzle a little and dribble small amounts in his cheek. He will be licking at it, see if he swallows. Not too much at once. You might work on giving a pint over several hours. pinch a fold of his skin and pull up on it. Does it snap back or stay tented? This is how you check hydration.

Here, you can make some yourself https://snapguide.com/guides/make-homemade-pedialyte/
Chip18 and stepkau like this.

Last edited by Nurse Bishop; 01-31-2017 at 02:42 PM.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
One thing you could do is try to hydrate him orally. I use the baby fluid you can get at the grocery called pedialyte. It has electrolyte minerals and some sugar glucose. Its for sick babies who have diahhrea. There must be other that or other brands in England. As he lies on his side lift his muzzle a little and dribble small amounts in his cheek. He will be licking at it, see if he swallows. Not too much at once.
Thank you for you reply I will look into your suggestion sounds like it could be helpful.

Mai (meow) 30/03/2006

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your kind words I've been reading them to Clay so he knows that lots of people are wishing him well
stepkau and lalabug like this.

Mai (meow) 30/03/2006

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page