Back leg limping - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 06:20 PM
Deb
Elite Member

Poor baby. I'd start timing how far he walks before he starts limping and then turn around when you hit that halfway point in time so maybe he is back home before it gets painful to walk. He may need shorter walks more often to help him get his exercise and yet not hurt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 06:55 PM

Could this be a lumbar disc problem? Something like sciatica? Also, spinal stenosis can elicit pain when the affected area of the back(spine) is touched.

My male has this. He starts out walking well, and before too long he is scuffing his back feet and it's time to go home. If I have gone too far, then he is limping. Unfortunately, he also has ED so he sometimes limps on the front too.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:11 PM
Elite Member

My female had some sort of bad muscle strain winter before last. we had just moved back to New England and she had a little too much fun chasing toys in chest deep snow. She was very stiff in the hind end and suddenly could not jump into the couch, bed, cab of truck. She is OFA excellent hips and very athletic, but she was almost 9 playing like a 2 year old in snow she wasn't used to.

it took way longer than I expected for her to heal. I remember the vet saying give her time, these things can take 6 weeks. In her case her energy level was so high leash walking took the edge off so she wouldn't hurt herself by getting too pent up. (remember in her mind she is still 2)

It was a long time where she needed a ramp to get into the cab of the truck and I stacked two dog beds for her to get into the people bed without jumping.

She is 10 now and she can still leap easily into the back of my truck. I let her jump up sometimes but never down, I just think she is too old for that kind of impact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page