Newlie's Surgery For Tumor Today - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Here is a picture of Newlie's incision site today, looks like it is doing great to me! He took his last pain pill Thursday morning and his ease of mobility improves a little bit every day. I have been taking him for short walks around the yard (on a leash, of course) when it's potty time and I also have been letting him wander around the house while I am at home to make sure he is not jumping or running. He is not allowed on the basement stairs right now, although I have been letting him go down the several steps out into the yard.

Newlie was waking me up every couple of hours at night complaining because I had the bed blocked off so he couldn't jump up there to be with me. So one night, I thought I would give it a try and I made him walk up the ramp to get on the bed and go down the ramp to get off. It was not a success, however, there just was not enough room for me, him and the cone. Last night, I slept down on the mattress on the floor with him and that wasn't too bad. He started out with 80% of the mattress, and would not shift over, so I finally used my whole body to push him over a little bit. He tried to regain territory several times during the night, but I was more than a match for him.

Newlie gets his stitches out this coming Friday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0452.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	406737  
Chip18, car2ner and MishkasMom like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 04:02 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlie View Post
Here is a picture of Newlie's incision site today, looks like it is doing great to me! He took his last pain pill Thursday morning and his ease of mobility improves a little bit every day. I have been taking him for short walks around the yard (on a leash, of course) when it's potty time and I also have been letting him wander around the house while I am at home to make sure he is not jumping or running. He is not allowed on the basement stairs right now, although I have been letting him go down the several steps out into the yard.

Newlie was waking me up every couple of hours at night complaining because I had the bed blocked off so he couldn't jump up there to be with me. So one night, I thought I would give it a try and I made him walk up the ramp to get on the bed and go down the ramp to get off. It was not a success, however, there just was not enough room for me, him and the cone. Last night, I slept down on the mattress on the floor with him and that wasn't too bad. He started out with 80% of the mattress, and would not shift over, so I finally used my whole body to push him over a little bit. He tried to regain territory several times during the night, but I was more than a match for him.

Newlie gets his stitches out this coming Friday.
Good to hear that Newlie is doing so well. Sleeping with Newlie sounds like sleeping with my husband - except my husband doesn't wear a cone. lol!
LuvShepherds likes this.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 07:03 PM
Knighted Member

I just saw your news. I'm so happy for you! The incision looks very clean for such a big area. You will barely see it when the fur grows back.

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Newlie got his stitches out on Friday and the surgeon was very pleased with the incision site and with his mobility. I thought I had noticed a tiny bit of a limp, but after he took the cone off and watched Newlie walk, he said he didn't see anything and I didn't either. He also said the skin around the incision may have been a little tight at first. The surgeon said I could leave the cone off now, but I told him I was worried about Newlie still licking it, and he said some licking is OK, but if it starts to look inflamed to put the cone back on.

The picture I attached was taken this morning and you can see a couple of pink places that have been made by licking since Friday. I am trying to resist the urge to throw the cone back on, I am just paranoid that he will get it infected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0466.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	407977  
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 03:20 PM
Knighted Member

That looks very nice! Mine also had some spots where the stitches came out that were itching so I put the cone back on until the stitch scabs fell off. It's not a big deal. It looks like his hair is already growing back over the scar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page