German Shepherds Forum banner

Anyone used Atopica??

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Dunkirk 
#1 ·
Hi folks,

My beautiful German Shepherd has today been diagnosed with Perianal Fistula and the vet has recommended the drug Atopica.

From what I've researched online, it seems to have mixed results with severe side effects and sometimes not even working at all.

I'm a bit apprehensive about using this drug and wonder can offer some insight?

Thanks

Megan

#2 ·
I used atopica on one of my gsd's quite a few years ago that had fistula's.. With mine, the only side effect was he lost quite a bit of fur, which left him with a very thin coat, but it grew back thicker than ever...If I remember correctly, we did 30 days of a high dose, all was well, so we went to 1/2 that dose for the next month, by the end of the second month the fistula was closed, 3rd month 1/2'd the 2nd months dosage, and the last month got it down to 50 mgs per day , then done...He had a couple small relapses, at which time I used Desitin IN and AROUND the fistula itself..(I also used desitin during the atopica treatment)...I'm assuming your talking ORAL atopica,,which is what I had used..Shaved up the butt area, kept it clean and dry... Good luck, it's nasty business, mine was the result of a blown anal gland vs what true fistula's are usually from immune system issues...alot of the dogs that develop fistula's usually have allergies, stomache issues, etc..

#3 ·
I should add, since mine was the result of anal gland issues,,I would have had no problem removing those glands if the atopica treatment didn't work

#6 ·
I had a GSD who was diagnosed with PF back in 2008. We used Atopica for a few months and it worked wonders... no side effects. After that , The Vet switched us to Protopic ointment which I applied to the outer rectal area every other day for the rest of the dogs life. He passed away from Cancer last spring. Both are very expensive. I was lucky , the Rescue where I adopted Zeke from was made up mostly of medical Staff at Duke Medical Center in Raleigh Durham NC. They gave me out dated Atopica that could not be used for humans but was ok to be used on animals. When we switched to Protopic (it is $125.00 per tube) We started getting it online through a Canadian pharmacy . I think we then paid $60.00 per tube. It lasts a long time though.. 1 1/2 years maybe. Hope this helps. Good luck with your baby.

#7 ·
My retired LE gs female had 2 fistula’s. One on each side of her anus. About the size of silver dollars. They opened completely. The onset was extremely rapid. She didn’t itch much. The vet says she has autoimmune disease. I have treated her for 7 months with Atopica and other meds including ketoconozol (sp). Apparently it increases the efficacy of the Atopica. I treated her fistulas with topicals. Her fistulas closed. She had an MRI and no cancer at the onset date. She is approx 10-11 years old. Her hair has not fallen out as some ppl report. So far so good but she still has to have the Atopica once a day. I am praying for no side effects. But she is an older dog and lived a pretty good life. I am praying as life would be really tough without her.

#8 ·
My dog Nitro is on cyclosporine and ketoconazol, due to anal fistulas. I get both meds from a compounding pharmacy, it's cheaper. When he started on the meds, initially he was off colour and farted terribly, spectacularly and memorably . He later developed gingival hyperplasia, (abnormal growth of excessive gum tissue). That resolved when the dosage was reduced. He will probable be on the meds permanently. They did resolve the fistulas. The dosage has been reduced very slowly and carefully. However, we got to a certain point and had to revert to a higher dosage as he developed bad diarrhea.

ATOPICA (cyclosporine capsules) USP MODIFIED is an oral form of cyclosporine that immediately forms a microemulsion in an aqueous environment. Cyclosporine, the active ingredient in ATOPICA, is a cyclic polypeptide, immune modulating agent consisting of 11 amino acids

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.