German Shepherds Forum banner

Possible Diagnosis of Osteochondritis Dissecans (OCD)

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Momto2GSDs 
#1 ·
So Finn came up lame this past Thursday afternoon. Was going to take the dogs for a walk and noticed he was limping on his left front leg. Skipped the walk and kept him "quiet" for the rest of the day and over Friday as well. I was worried that he was still favoring the leg, a noticeable limp and also holding it up at times, but not all the time. So called my vet and took Finn over to see him this afternoon. He felt it and couldn't get a definite pain response, other than Finn growling at him and giving him some stink eye. He didn't yelp or jerk the leg away like he'd hit a painful spot. I had felt around myself and couldn't get a reaction either.

Well my Vet thinks it is OCD and gave me Rimadyl to give him for the next month and said to restrict his exercise. He said is was common for dogs around his age to get. My Vet did mention surgery, as an option if he didn't improve. All in all OCD does not seem like a good thing. I am kinda hoping it might be pano, but I think at 19 going on 20 months he might be too old for that?

Anyone here dealt with OCD? I already know restricting Finn's exercise is going to be a challenge. He is already acting pent up and wants to go run and play. I have an NW class starting up the end of the month and my Vet thought that should be okay since he won't be running. If needed I will keep him on a leash during searches, and he would only be searching for a few minutes, then resting in a crate in between turns.

I am also looking up some natural supplements to help with inflammation and healing. I am hoping this is a mild case and can heal without surgery. I feel so bad for my boy, hate to see him hurting :(

See less See more
#4 ·
Did your vet take x rays? If not how did s/he come to OD as a diagnosis and jump to talking about surgery. From my reading this condition isn't diagnosed without imaging.
No X-ray. Vet didn't say surgery was a definitely just mentioned it as a form of treatment for some dogs. Right now we are taking a conservative approach. He said X-rays were often inconclusive. If Finn had shown a definite pain response when that limb was manipulated X-rays would have been next. So we are trying Rymadil and I'm to let him know how he does on it. This morning he was limping less

My vet came up with that diagnosis too at about a year old. Had me concerned alot. But he didn't take images, just checked, process of elimination, etc. came up with OCD. Turned out it was just a shoulder sprain. No X-ray, no reason to be concerned.
I hope Finn and I get that lucky.

#3 ·
My vet came up with that diagnosis too at about a year old. Had me concerned alot. But he didn't take images, just checked, process of elimination, etc. came up with OCD. Turned out it was just a shoulder sprain. No X-ray, no reason to be concerned.

#5 · (Edited)
Agree with Springbrz about testing.

" Radiography imaging is the best tool for diagnosis of this problem; your veterinarian will take several x-rays of the affected joints and bones to best discern any abnormalities. The radiographs may show details of lesions and abnormalities related to this disease. Computed tomography (CT-scan) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) are also valuable diagnostic tools for visualizing the extent of any internal lesions."

IF your dog has OCD here are things that can help:
*No grains in food

*Add some real meat to his diet

*Make some Bone Broth! How To Make Bone Broth For Your Dog

*Add a High quality "Named" fish oil such as Krill: https://www.amazon.com/Viva-Naturals-1250mg-serving-Capliques/dp/B004TBCT4G?th=1
IKOS Certified
Each batch of Viva Naturals Krill Oil is third party tested for heavy metals and impurities, consistently reporting undetectable levels. Our krill oil meets all standards set by the International Krill Oil Standards Program (IKOS), delivering a krill oil that is guaranteed for quality and potency. Moreover, our manufacturing facilities are FDA-approved and adhere to strict GMP standards. This is a human supplement. (*Let’s assume you have a 50 pound dog and the vitamin recommended 2 capsules a day for the average human. Assume that the human dose is for a 150-pound person; since your dog weighs 1/3rd of the human weight, give 1/3rd of the dose to your dog. Dr. Pitcarin’s Complete Guide To Natural Health For Cats and Dogs)

*Add a Glucosamine/Chondroitin, Hylauronic Acid supplement: K9-5000 contains all 3 plus MSM for joint health. Glucosamine Chondroitin For Dogs K9 Joint Supplements

*Add Golden Tumeric Paste: Healing With Turmeric Golden Paste For Dogs
Not all Tumeric (Curcumin) is created equal:
Notes about purity from Mercola:
That it is sourced from raw turmeric material containing at least 95% curcuminoids
Don't be shortchanged by lesser-quality curcumin! Always look for a minimum of 95% curcuminoids.
That it provides all three of the curcuminoids found in turmeric
Curcumin is the main curcuminoid in turmeric, but it's not the only one. The other two are valuable for your pet's health: demethoxycurcumin and bisdemethoxycurcumin. Having all three curcuminoids is critical, as new research shows that bisdemethoxycurcumin is only activated when the levels of the other two curcuminoids (demethoxycurcumin and curcumin) are high.

What ever supplement you choose to try, only start with ONE supplement at a time, begin with small quantities and work up to suggested dosage to prevent gut upset. Then you can introduce another supplement in the same way.

Moms:)

#6 ·
No X-rays. My Vet did a physical exam. If I am not seeing improvement over the next few days I will call him about doing an x-ray to check for anything loose of free floating in his shoulder joint. To do a descent X-ray he'd have to be knocked out, and even with a clear x-ray it doesn't always mean it isn't OCD, just that it isn't showing up on X-ray.

I do have him on a grain, potato, and pea free food. He also gets Sh-emp oil daily. I am planning on adding a Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplement and I also was reading good things about tumeric as well. So I want to start Tumeric paste too.

Thanks for the tip on only starting one at a time. How long after introducing a new supplement do you think it would be okay to start another? I was also considering Inflapotion https://market.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/products/copy-of-inflapotion-12-oz-1?variant=28498032129

#7 ·
No X-rays. My Vet did a physical exam. If I am not seeing improvement over the next few days I will call him about doing an x-ray to check for anything loose of free floating in his shoulder joint. To do a descent X-ray he'd have to be knocked out, and even with a clear x-ray it doesn't always mean it isn't OCD, just that it isn't showing up on X-ray.

I do have him on a grain, potato, and pea free food. He also gets Sh-emp oil daily. I am planning on adding a Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplement and I also was reading good things about tumeric as well. So I want to start Tumeric paste too.

Thanks for the tip on only starting one at a time. How long after introducing a new supplement do you think it would be okay to start another? I was also considering Inflapotion https://market.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/products/copy-of-inflapotion-12-oz-1?variant=28498032129
Inflapotion is fantastic!
My guys get an herbal anti-inflammatory every day but I always have Inflapotion + Herbal Aspirin on hand for when they are having a gimpy day or two after too much exercise.

Here is another product I use instead of NSAID's: Canine Activ ? Safe alternative to ibuprofen & NSAIDs
Available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/CanineActiv-...&qid=1484061708&sr=8-1&keywords=canine+active

My rule of thumb is, start one supplement, work up slowly to desired dose, stay on that dose for about a week, just to be sure there is good "bowel tolerance, THEN introduce the next supplement, and proceed in the same manner.

I know it's hard not to start them all, but IF there would be gut upset, you wouldn't know which product caused it. ;)

Best of luck to you and please let us know what happens.
Moms :)

#8 ·
Thank Moms! I am going to check out Herbal Aspirin and Canine Activ to. I don't really like the thought of giving Rymadil for the next month if I can find something that is more natural and works. Thanks so much for all the advice. I will definitely update on how he is doing. I am hoping it will be good news.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.