Retained puppy teeth - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

Retained puppy teeth

My 22 week old working line German Shepherd puppy has retained puppy teeth my vet wants to charge me $192 per tooth to have them removed has anybody else had this problem with their Shepherd and has your vet ever charge you this amount of money to have them removed I have posted a picture of her worst one I have only ever heard of retained or deciduous puppy teeth and small breed dogs so this is something completely new to me her breeder said that she's never heard of it and her 12 years of breeding Shepherds my vet said that it's something that's very rare and information is greatly appreciated Name:  2017-01-05 21.23.01.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  58.6 KBName:  2017-01-05_21.27.50.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  64.6 KB

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 07:33 AM

My vet charges $30/ tooth.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 08:46 AM
Crowned Member

It can throw off the whole mouth alignment....get them out.

Cost ???? Varies widely from area to area and vet to vet.....just like comparing cost of x-rays

Lee

Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Lynx, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, Danger RH & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 11:47 AM
Knighted Member

My dog had two at 5 months. The vet said come back at 7 months. By then they were gone. My rescue puppy had retained teeth and the vet insisted on removing them. I was never sure it was completely necessary. I hate to put a dog under anesthetic unless it's really urgent.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 12:03 PM

Mine also had 2 retained however they were lose so we just pulled them out ourselves using just my fingers. It was quite easy actually and I don't think he even noticed. However if not lose then definitely see the Vet
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 01:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
My dog had two at 5 months. The vet said come back at 7 months. By then they were gone. My rescue puppy had retained teeth and the vet insisted on removing them. I was never sure it was completely necessary. I hate to put a dog under anesthetic unless it's really urgent.
My one dog had more tooth issues than I don't know what. She hit six months of age with four baby canines and no bumps. A week later she naturally lost all four and still no bumps! I thought she was not going to grow any canine teeth! A breeder / trainer on here told me to quit looking until she turned 1 year. So I did and now she has a beautiful full set of teeth.
LuvShepherds likes this.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 01:35 PM
Crowned Member

My current bitch had a retained pup upper canine....a different vet at the place I go to suggested removal....wanting to put the dog under....I said I'd think about it....went home....started playing with the pup...low energy tug probably....and the tooth came out. Called the vet back and asked him if he was trying to finance an outdoor kitchen ....he didn't care much for my insinuations.....I expected as much.

Now....my regular vet....the good doctor...suggested I use a tennis ball to encourage the slight inward deflection of the adult upper canine to its normal position. I recall holding a tennis ball so it put pressure on the appropriate area...must have done that a half a dozen times a day...5-10 minutes at a crack....maybe for a few weeks. I have no idea if it was necessary.....but her bite and tooth alignment ended up fine.

Hopefully all works out well for your pup.

SuperG

Hündin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
My current bitch had a retained pup upper canine....a different vet at the place I go to suggested removal....wanting to put the dog under....I said I'd think about it....went home....started playing with the pup...low energy tug probably....and the tooth came out. Called the vet back and asked him if he was trying to finance an outdoor kitchen ....he didn't care much for my insinuations.....I expected as much.

Now....my regular vet....the good doctor...suggested I use a tennis ball to encourage the slight inward deflection of the adult upper canine to its normal position. I recall holding a tennis ball so it put pressure on the appropriate area...must have done that a half a dozen times a day...5-10 minutes at a crack....maybe for a few weeks. I have no idea if it was necessary.....but her bite and tooth alignment ended up fine.

Hopefully all works out well for your pup.

SuperG
Tried the rope toy idea her adult canines have locked in the puppy teeth (went to 3 vets all said same thing) and since she was going to be a service dog ( required to be fix by 9 months) not for breeding or show she was going to be put under anyway for spay, she has her insisers retained to so we believe this was do to bad breeding and the breeder not being truthful

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
It can throw off the whole mouth alignment....get them out.

Cost ???? Varies widely from area to area and vet to vet.....just like comparing cost of x-rays

Lee
This is what I am worried about as it making her adult canines come in on the inside and since her puppy teeth are a different color I'm trying my hardest to get her into a vet fast for removal but with her barely being 5 months I don't want her spayed I want to wait till 8 min but don't want to pay 160$- 192$ per tooth, anesthesia and blood work fees it's like 350-600just for her teeth without spay

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 03:30 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaMomma View Post
she was going to be put under anyway for spay,

Smart choice.....the more things you can get done while the dog is put under, is the way to go....within reason....

SuperG

Hündin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page